We made it to Denver

SoCalWJS

Re: We made it to Denver
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2012, 02:06 am »
A few more pics of the room for day 1.

There's an official brochure!

Final setup for the opening of the show:

Using Gary's 30 watt tube amps running off of battery power - this system was "off the grid" today (although I'm not positive on Eric's Dac). The db DAC is his prototype 192khz version.

The sound is very impressive! There were several pieces played where I heard things I've never heard before - the detail of the speakers/drivers combined with low (I'd say non-existant) noise floor provided by Uber-BUSS and battery for pre/amp made this the most musical system I heard today - at least nothing I heard was better (I readily admit I've got a long ways to go).

It was scary how many vendors set up their equipment, hauled in at some expense and effort, set it up and let 'er rip. No treatments. Speakers too big for rooms. No power treatment (although considerably more than last year). No obvious effort at speaker placement (plopped directly in the corners or against the wall)  :(.

Rumors that they will use Gary's larger amps tomorrow.  :thumb:

Dave finally arrived (Yay!) so there are a few more options available and I think the acoustics will be refined further.

Shaping up to be a very good weekend! :dance: :drums: :banana piano: :wine: (and probably more than that!)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2012, 03:02 am »
Your setup sounded great, congrats! Definitely one of the best I visited today.

sahihe

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2012, 06:31 am »
Can't wait to get there tomorrow. My first audio show. This is going to be fun.  :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2012, 06:46 am »
Nice brochure but too much talk about price or price point this and price point that and how, coming in at, 20K is reasonable. That word leaves some doubt. That whole sentence makes you sound unsure. I wouldn't mention it's the middle line speaker either. "Compares to" is also bad. Anything can be compared to, even a clock radio. Needs an editor stat.

jcotner

« Reply #24 on: 13 Oct 2012, 08:20 am »
 I'm not in the market for one of these but ultimately it's success or lack of will
be determined by how many are sold.
I would think this is a business venture and that usually has some expectation
of profit. I would also imagine the margins are very good in these so it may
not take a lot of units to realize the profit expectation.
The show will provide some comparative basis with other products in the price
range. Good luck Danny, you're in the land of critical ears now! :bowdown:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:23 pm »
Will be interesting to see what Jonathan Valin, Michael Fremer and Art Dudley say after they stopped by yesterday for an audition. 

rbbert

« Reply #26 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:53 pm »
Steven Stone as well.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #27 on: 13 Oct 2012, 01:36 pm »
...and Dave Chesky

nrenter

« Reply #28 on: 13 Oct 2012, 06:09 pm »

I'm excited to hear these sometime, but aesthetically for $20,000 those wires need to disappear.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 13 Oct 2012, 08:41 pm »
The production model will have a rear grill to cover everything according to Danny.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #30 on: 13 Oct 2012, 11:10 pm »
John,

Great coverage of the new Super 7, some new Dodd gear and the rest of the system.  It was just like being there.  Except for the lack of music. 

Wish I was there!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #31 on: 14 Oct 2012, 12:57 pm »
I'm going to hold off on giving a serious listening impression until after the show and I've heard everything that I can. I will say that I've gone back to Room 2024 on my way out of the Tower section (whether for food or just a break) several times. Each time I feel like I am going into a very special room for music. The level of detail that you get here is out of this world good. If you are one of those people that likes to hear absolutely everything the performer(s) and the Recording Engineer put on to the recording, this is a system you should consider. On several occasions, I've heard very subtle things that I've never noticed before - drum heads lightly excited by either other instruments of even vocals is the most common.

Picked up Anne at the airport last night and managed to run back by right at closing, but the batteries had already given out. I'll try again at opening today before I go back by my other favorite rooms and catch the few I've missed (most of the 4th floor still to go).

There's no way she'll go for these, but a guy can dream can't he? Besides, I just know I'm going to hit the Lottery one of these days. :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 14 Oct 2012, 04:43 pm »
Some intereting changes in the GR- Research room.  Worth another listen!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 14 Oct 2012, 04:48 pm »
Some intereting changes in the GR- Research room.  Worth another listen!

Too late....I'm cruising at 34,000' as I type this. 

Great to meet you!   :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 14 Oct 2012, 05:02 pm »
Jason,
Hope you have a safe flight.

I will talk to you later!

Best,
Rich

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 14 Oct 2012, 05:06 pm »
Jason,
Hope you have a safe flight.
So far so good.   :wink:

I will talk to you later!

Best,
Rich
Perfect!  Enjoy the rest of the day!!!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #36 on: 14 Oct 2012, 10:19 pm »
Say hello to Anne for me.  Enjoy the thin Denver air.  It makes for good romance!   It might be easier to get $10K out of the bank account with a little romance.

Seriously, she is a great lady!  I hope you enjoy the show together.

SteveRB

« Reply #37 on: 15 Oct 2012, 06:39 pm »
Seems like a ton of good report for your room Danny -- congratulations on the great new products. I'm sure this will have a positive effect on your entire speaker line...

I know it made me feel good to see the 'best in show' comments as I build my V! kit.

jn316

« Reply #38 on: 15 Oct 2012, 06:52 pm »
Not much on the show yet, so here is a little tidbit I came away with.

I think I get the whole open baffle thing now. While listening to the Super 7, there was something missing. No, it wasn't the music, that was there in spades. It was that "extra" sound that I'm used to...and I dare say that everyone else might be used to. I went to many other rooms and immediately noticed that "extra" sound. It was obvious from the moment I went into the room. I noticed it mostly in the bass and midbass region. There was an extra...what the heck, I'll use the word...resonance. I really believe that the cabinets were adding that "extra" to the sound, no matter how well built they were. I went back to Danny's room after exclusively looking for this sound in other rooms and once again didn't find it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that many (most?) of us have become so used to the resonance of the cabinets that when we don't hear it, we might think it a detriment. I think this is what is referred to as coloration. Some love certain coloration to their speakers/system, others don't. I think that is why two guys can go into a room and have totally different opinions on what they hear...Pez and Tyson come to mind.  :green:  One's not right or wrong. If you like it, go for it!

I know Danny tries to achieve the most realistic sound he can, so I don't think it is surprising, at least finally to my ears, that he builds mostly open baffle speakers.

On the Super 7, I was only there on Friday, so I didn't get to hear it after the DAC tweak during the weekend. I agree with most of Tyson's comments on it though. It was not a warm speaker on Friday, but I'm not really a warm speaker kind of guy anyway. I do love all the details being there and the imaging, and the Super 7 has those nailed IMO. Of course as most agree, the bass is off the chart...and there wasn't anything "extra" added to it.   :thumb:

SteveRB

« Reply #39 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:17 pm »

I think I get the whole open baffle thing now... there was something missing... looking for this sound in other rooms and once again didn't find it.

welcome to the club.