JVC RX-F10 (Tripath-based)

Horizons

• Restricted
« on: 9 Jun 2004, 05:46 pm »
Has anyone heard the JVC RX-F10 (Tripath-based receiver)??

Are these available yet?

Dmason

« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2004, 06:26 pm »
Apparently they are not available yet; The starting price is $300, which will drop after three months. What makes this thing cool is the (apparent) 5 band EQ in the digital domain, and the ability to control other components, through it...

I do not believe it is Tripath based, but is supposed to contain JVC's proprietary digital amp based on what they call, "hybrid dual digital feedback," which sounds suspiciously like a sort of modified or "enhanced" Tripath design. I have heard its predecessor, the RX-ES1, which is part of a HTB outfit, and the damn thing sounded just beautiful, even in a noisy store, on the cheeezy silver sliver speakers it comes with. It really sounded so good, I came back the next day with my Joule tube pre, explaining that I could only be interested if I could hear it on some better speakers, etc. Typical warm, liquid, resolving power and speaker control-from-hell, I loved it and intend for it to be my next acquisition. When it comes out? Who knows. Put yourself of J&R's list to be notified.

Jay S

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2004, 03:47 am »
Glad to come across another Joule owner here on AC.  I use my Joule with an Acoustic Reality eAR Two digital amp, which I feel has been a great combo.  I've heard my system sound musical, relaxed, dynamic and powerful all at the same time (this was when I was using my Cary cdp as a transport... not my current Tosh dvd player).  I am hoping to bring my digital front end up to standard again soon (APL HiFi modded Pioneer 563).  

As far as I am concerned, digital will soon be the dominant mainstream (and perhaps even high end) amplifier technology.  There will remain a place for tubes, but mostly I think for low-level signals (e.g. in buffer stages or preamps) since they do better producing voltage than current.  While I currently love the combo of tube pre + digital amp, I wonder if the benefits of an all digital signal path would outweigh the benefits of having some tube magic (as well as several ICs to color the sound).

Ears

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2004, 04:46 am »
Last I knew, there were no tri path based products that were digital direct but rather, analog based digital.

I do have one of these on order from J@R though who also has the Kenwood digital direct receivers whith 130 @ 6 ohm which might actually translate to 100 @ 8 ohm which I am also going to try.

Greg

ABEX

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2004, 05:08 am »
Is this going to do Room EQ also?

Dmason

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2004, 05:37 am »
I also ordered one; Cannot go wrong, and I have a belief that this little demon is going to up the ante in the cost/benefit equation. JVC has entered the ring with a crack of thunder, if my audition was any indication. It excelled at control at low volumes. Speakers used at GG were Monitor Audio Silver something or other. Quite nice speakers in fact, and could see with some corrections could mate nicely with digital amps. I like metal drivers with digital amps. Very organic, who woulda thought...

I should have mentioned that in examining the RX-ES1, I found the fit and finish to be first rate really, a nice looking, understated unit with brushed aluminum case and attractive purplish light, really solid feel, and an obvious care to produce a product well a cut above what I would have expected; The pictures do not do these things justice. It is a cool audio gem, and will no doubt in my mind be a stunner :)  Can't wait to try mine with a nice hot tube input signal!

RussKon

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2004, 04:09 pm »
why are all of these low cost digital receivers sooooo ugly???

the sony, panasonic, and now the  jvc....

all have the cheesy "hi-tech" look......

:cry:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2004, 06:02 pm »
Quote from: RussKon
why are all of these low cost digital receivers sooooo ugly???

the sony, panasonic, and now the  jvc....

all have the cheesy "hi-tech" look......

:cry:

Russ,

It's all subjective...personally, I thought the JVC RX-ES1 I saw at Costco was pretty handsome.  Because of it's slimmer design that digital receivers have  they have less 'face' to adhere the garish stuff too. HK is an notable exception as their analog receivers have always been kinda' clean looking.

The JVC felt surprising robust at 18.8 lbs....as Dmason found.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2004, 06:30 pm »
Dmason,

Where did you end up buying the JVC RX-ES1...doesn't seem to be anywhere online...tho I'm pretty sure that was the model I saw at a Costco in Boston last week.

Dmason

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2004, 07:11 pm »
Not buy; I ordered one. They are not yet available.

J&R, to answer your question. They will not debit my card until they can transact. I just want to ensure one, out of the first shipment.

J&R have their act together with respect to customer service and online commerce.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2004, 07:26 pm »
Quote from: Dmason
Not buy; I ordered one. They are not yet available.

J&R, to answer your question. They will not debit my card until they can transact. I just want to ensure one, out of the first shipment.

J&R have their act together with respect to customer service and online commerce.

Ahhh, J&R, have bought many an item from them.  Good folks.

Like I said, if you are a Costco member, you can find it in the stores - NOW.  I was away in Boston last week and saw one in a local store.  I'm not a Costco member (nearest warehouse is 20 miles from me - too far to make good use of it), I shopped/looked around on my biz partner's membership card.

I would've bought one, but transporting on the airlines ain't so easy anymore.  I was also at my 2 check-in limit without the JVC in tow.

It was $199.00 there (I don't see it online at Costco.com tho)...how much is J&R selling them for?

Is 'GG' = The Good Guys...do they have them?  At $199.00, it's very tempting to try one.

Dmason

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2004, 07:40 pm »
I don't know about GG; I do know that the F10 is the update unit for standalone sale. RX-ES1 was $1100 with all the junk I wouldn't need. I can say that the guts are pretty much the same, 100@6 X 6, but the F10 has EQ in the digital domain, which makes it pretty tasty. Like I said, it sounded really damn fine. Plenty of real world power, with some good speaks, I think it might be a winner. The brief explanation of "hybrid dual digital feedback" sounds like some good thinking: 'from Japanese minds come sharp products.'

Maybe I otta go to the Costco with the "maid" on her planned visit this Saturday. It is the biggest in the State, and has a big home electronics dept. Between show and tell, pushing the cart, and saying, 'yes,' and, 'mm hmm,'  I could find out more.

Naaaah, I'll nip over there me self.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2004, 08:25 pm »
DMason,

At Costco, they sell the RX-ES1 as a standalone for $199 (at least in Boston stores)...it did not have all that Home Theatre junk that goes with it in the package for $1100 odd.

The F10 looks chintzy in pictorial comparison to me.  The RX-ES1 Dual Digital Hybrid has attention paid to the high frequency problems many 'digital' ampliifiers seem to have.  At least they say they do...recognize it and provide a 'fix' with their hybrid feedback circuitry, that is.

I can't seem to find that the F10 has the same 'hybrid feedback' circuitry that addresses this issue. And, it is an issue (high frequency problems vs. better solid state gear), talking with folks more acquainted with it than me.

What state are you in? I don't know where 'We like Girls' is  :lol:

nauqneyugn

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2004, 09:34 pm »
Ok I'm missing something here, so please help me out.  :oops:

Dmason: you heard the JVC RX-ES1SL before right?  Which you describe as pretty damn good.  So did you order the RX-ES1SL or the F10?  From  my searching the 'net, the ES1 is already available from several online retailers - I'll probably buy one even though its only supports 5 channels.

Also, the RX-ES1SL is listed as 14.4 pounds not the 18.8 that was stated in this thread.  Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Dmason

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jun 2004, 10:27 pm »
Heard the RX-ES1 at GoodGuys. Loved it. Heard it again with a tube pre amp, LOVED IT.....Pre-ordered the F10 from J&R.

Don't know the weight; Don't care.

If you can point me to where I can buy the RX-ES1 as a stand-alone unit please do so, I would prefer this model.

cjr888

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2004, 11:52 pm »
Quote from: Dmason
If you can point me to where I can buy the RX-ES1 as a stand-alone unit please do so, I would prefer this model.

Standalone
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=RX-ES1SL

When you heard it without the preamplifier, any idea if it was using the digital input, or analog input?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jun 2004, 12:42 am »
Quote from: nauqneyugn
Ok I'm missing something here, so please help me out.  :oops:

Dmason: you heard the JVC RX-ES1SL before right?  Which you describe as pretty damn good.  So did you order the RX-ES1SL or the F10?  From  my searching the 'net, the ES1 is already available from several online retailers - I'll probably buy one even though its only supports 5 channels.

Also, the RX-ES1SL is listed as 14.4 pounds not the 18.8 that was stated in this thread.  Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I could have been reading the 'Gross' weight, not 'Net' weight of unit alone on the side of the box.  4+ lbs. for box and packing materials would be about right.

Good job cjr888, I googled a couple days ago on that model and I couldn't find it anywhere.  I'd guess a new boat arrived in the meantime.  :o

I picked the unit up, it had some heft.  Not like many of the digital amp/receivers out there.   Not that has direct proportion to sound quality...it's a new ballgame, I guess.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jun 2004, 05:00 pm »
Hell, I was too curious about this JVC (RX-ES1) and all the Tripath talk so I bought one off the ebay guy for $179 (+$18 shipping).

I'm a little surprised (concerned :?: ) that he was $70.00 less than the next cheapest vendor, and $20.00 under Costco (who I know mark up merchandise only 12% - I sell them stuff).

Assuming he ships it, I should have it by next Monday from New Jersey.

We'll see...... :o

nauqneyugn

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jun 2004, 08:59 pm »
Keep us posted!  :D