Toronto Show Sept. 2012

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Toronto Show Sept. 2012
« Reply #100 on: 2 Oct 2012, 04:05 pm »
Hi Chris,

I am using the BDP-1 now.  I have a fairly large music collection, about 4TB and still growing.  I am still in the process of organising the files and putting them on 2.5 inch portable hard-disks.  So far, I have 2 x 1TB drives plugged into the back of the BDP-1, one being completely full and the other one about half full.  To add music, I prefer to unplug the drives from the BDP-1, add the files and plug it back into the BDP-1 (copying files through the network is excruciatingly slow in my environment).

A few issues:
1) when music files are added, the updating takes a long long long time
2) sometimes, after 1) above, the updating seems to be completed but the BDP-1 hangs and I have to switch off the BDP-1 and restart 1) with no certainty of the end result
3) I hope to one day connect my entire music collection to the BDP-1 but am concerned that either it cannot power hard-drives of 2TB and above or I cannot stick as many 1TB drives as I'd like to (I have tried connecting a powered USB hub to one of the slots at the back so I could connect a few more hard drives.  Results were kind of inconsistent - sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  Refer back to issue 1) & 2) above.

I attribute the above to the BDP-1 being "under-powered" (for lack of a better word) or that it was never intended to handle large music collection.

With the BDP-2 being "BDP-1 on steroids", I am hoping that all the above issues will be solved.  Do you think so?

2 more questions on the BDP-2:

1) I read that the 2 USB 3.0 port can be added later as an upgrade.  Can these 2 USB 3.0 ports be added before the unit leaves the factory so customers can save the fuss of adding them later.

2) Can Bryston offer the option of a version with the HDD/SSD added?  (Instead of customers buying the HDD/SSD and sending it to the Bryston factory and have it installed - not convenient especially for customers not resident in Canada)

Thank you

Hi Myview,

It sounds like you may benefit from making use of the NAS feature included in the newer software.  If the music is already stored on your computer simply share it over the network and then you will have no more need for USB hard drives.  The only thing I should point out is that we currently support Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS 10.6 (or older) and Linux.  Mac OS X 10.7 and newer changed there authentication mechanism and I have yet to compensate for this as of yet.

As for the hard disk/solid state drive business it is something we want to stay out of.  What i will say though is that any BDP-2 that ships without a drive will still have everything needed to receive a drive.

Chris

sfraser

« Reply #101 on: 2 Oct 2012, 04:14 pm »
Hi Myview,

It sounds like you may benefit from making use of the NAS feature included in the newer software.  If the music is already stored on your computer simply share it over the network and then you will have no more need for USB hard drives.  The only thing I should point out is that we currently support Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS 10.6 (or older) and Linux.  Mac OS X 10.7 and newer changed there authentication mechanism and I have yet to compensate for this as of yet.

As for the hard disk/solid state drive business it is something we want to stay out of.  What i will say though is that any BDP-2 that ships without a drive will still have everything needed to receive a drive.

Chris

Thanks Chris, you have answered my previous question as well.

Scott

BrysTony

« Reply #102 on: 2 Oct 2012, 05:02 pm »
  Mac OS X 10.7 and newer changed there authentication mechanism and I have yet to compensate for this as of yet.

Chris

Chris,

That explains why I have not been able to get the NAS feature to work.  I am running OSX 10.8.2.  I had just put the problem aside for when I had more time to mess with it.  Any idea when you will have the S/W updated?

Tony

Alpha10

« Reply #103 on: 2 Oct 2012, 07:52 pm »
We sure have and when we demonstrated it at the Toronto the show it was interesting.  Most said they saw it as a viable option because there are times when they just want to listen to a CD.  The other advantage is you are listening to the CD in memory through the BDP-2 and that has advantages.

That being said we are still evaluating.

james

Sorry James my fault, I was talking about the hardrive enclosure we where discussing some months back? The topic came up again on this side of the pond, as SSDs are now so much cheaper and would seem an obvious extension to the new BDP2...

Cheers

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #104 on: 2 Oct 2012, 07:53 pm »
From the BDP2 PDF:
but it must be fitted by authorized personal
I hope this has not gone to the printers yet...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #105 on: 2 Oct 2012, 08:06 pm »
From the BDP2 PDF:I hope this has not gone to the printers yet...

Thanks - not yet :duh:

james
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2012, 01:08 am by James Tanner »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #106 on: 3 Oct 2012, 12:40 am »
Chris,

That explains why I have not been able to get the NAS feature to work.  I am running OSX 10.8.2.  I had just put the problem aside for when I had more time to mess with it.  Any idea when you will have the S/W updated?

Tony

I'm hoping to fit it into the late October update

Chris

terrycym

« Reply #107 on: 3 Oct 2012, 05:20 am »
Hi mrhyfy

Customers are number one with me - here is a copy of a sign I have hanging in my office:

What is a Customer?

•   A Customer is the most important person in this company.

•   A customer does not depend on us; we are dependent on them.

•   A customer is not an interruption of our work; they are the purpose of that work.

•   We are not doing the customer a favour by serving them; they are doing us a favour by giving us the opportunity to meet their needs.

•   A customer is not someone to argue or match wits with – nobody ever wins an argument with a customer.

Hi James,
I've been reading about the BDP-2 and it looks like everything I wish the BDP-1 had been (internal drive, more USB and Ethernet connectors with more current drive etc). What about us BDP-1 earlier adopters?How can we benefit. After all, I'm sure the BDP-2 is based to some part, on our feedback. The Drive case never did make it either.....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #108 on: 3 Oct 2012, 11:30 am »
Hi James,
I've been reading about the BDP-2 and it looks like everything I wish the BDP-1 had been (internal drive, more USB and Ethernet connectors with more current drive etc). What about us BDP-1 earlier adopters?How can we benefit. After all, I'm sure the BDP-2 is based to some part, on our feedback. The Drive case never did make it either.....

Hi Terry

How do you mean 'benefit'  - if you mean we as a compny taking back BDP-1 units i am afraid that is not possible.  We have thousands of them out there and it would be devastating financially for our company. We do not work on large margins so there is not any wiggle room.

The BDP-2 is a natural evolution of the BDP-1 idea - if we were capable of building the BDP-2 when we developed the BDP-1 we certainly would have but hindsight is 20-20 as they say.

james

terrycym

« Reply #109 on: 3 Oct 2012, 11:54 am »
I understand James, that's fair enough. Is there a possibility of adding some of the new functionality to existing BDP-1? Like the internal drive option or the increased USB current drive capability?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #110 on: 3 Oct 2012, 12:20 pm »
I understand James, that's fair enough. Is there a possibility of adding some of the new functionality to existing BDP-1? Like the internal drive option or the increased USB current drive capability?

Hi Terry

I do not think so as that was my first question to engineering when we were talking about the concept. The upgradebility of our products is always something I take seriously (EX the new USB interface which will allow exisiting BDP-1 customers to add the USB 192/24 feature to their BDP-1) but Digital is a different animal as the technology changes so rapidly. 

So as a company I want to offer our customers the best possible performance but do not want to be bouncing from one model to another willy-nilly.  :nono:  Also recognize that some of this 'technology' is 'spec-man-ship' and is required because the customer and the market place demand it or you get left behind.

james

Phil A

« Reply #111 on: 3 Oct 2012, 12:50 pm »
If it's one thing I've learned buying and selling things over the years, and I have not sold as much in recent years, merely rotating most things to a secondary system, is that digital and video technology changes more rapid than developments in your basic amps, preamps and speakers.  This type of discussion happens regularly with most digital products.  Just look at computers from a couple of years back as a guide.  It's something that needs to be considered in the purchase, not when something new comes out.  I'm happy with my BDA-1 DAC.  I didn't rush out and look for the BDP-1 (mostly since I was behind on digitizing my music).  I'll keep the BDA-1 and probably get the USB box for it and when I have stuff digitized and the BDA-2 can do DSD, I'll have no regrets at its price point, build quality and sound quality.  At one point years back, I had a $10k projector and a $7.5k DVD transport.  I sold them years back and got next to nothing for the projector.  Today, I could buy an Oppo Blu-Ray plaer for $500 and a $1,000 projector that will best it.  I also at one point many years acquired a used Micromega DAC.  When it was new in the mid-1990s, it was probably sold for around $3k.  Things change (including me 8))

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #112 on: 3 Oct 2012, 02:57 pm »

larevoj

« Reply #113 on: 3 Oct 2012, 02:58 pm »
I certainly has no complains of the BDA-1 and I have a few good years with it.  :)

I may not jump on the BDA-2 band wagon so soon since I purchased the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB converter only a couple of months ago which works fine with 24/192 resolution - if only James could have give us a heads up I would have waited for the Bryston Converter! :lol: Also I am not so sure how well the USB section is isolated in BDA-2 and it would be interesting to see if the noise floor is indeed lower say Computer - Converter - BDA-1 versus Computer - BDA-2.  :scratch:

Oh, I forgot to add that I was hoping the BDA-2 would have 2 balance outputs so I can route 1 to preamplifier and 1 to the headphone amp - James, do you see this possible in near future??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #114 on: 3 Oct 2012, 03:13 pm »
I certainly has no complains of the BDA-1 and I have a few good years with it.  :)

I may not jump on the BDA-2 band wagon so soon since I purchased the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB converter only a couple of months ago which works fine with 24/192 resolution - if only James could have give us a heads up I would have waited for the Bryston Converter! :lol: Also I am not so sure how well the USB section is isolated in BDA-2 and it would be interesting to see if the noise floor is indeed lower say Computer - Converter - BDA-1 versus Computer - BDA-2.  :scratch:

I can tell you the USB section is not just not a cobbled in circuit board.  The whole main board was redesigned to allow for the USB section.

james

larevoj

« Reply #115 on: 4 Oct 2012, 05:17 am »
I can tell you the USB section is not just not a cobbled in circuit board.  The whole main board was redesigned to allow for the USB section.

james

Thanks James, that is nice!...you have a picture of its innards?  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #116 on: 4 Oct 2012, 10:57 am »
Sent: October-03
To: James Tanner

Subject: The New Bryston Speakers

Hi James,

It was good to see you at the show, and I was delighted to hear the fruits of your collaboration with AXIOM, pretty much the best sound that I heard in any of the TAVES rooms.

The frequency balance, bass extension, and dynamic capability are superb on first listening, very akin to what I heard when I went home to my own Veritas/ads hybrids that I've developed over the past year or so.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Andrew

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #117 on: 8 Oct 2012, 04:10 pm »
MUSICAL and DYNAMIC    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BLOG: Ears Wide Open at TAVES
Gordon Brockhouse

At the Bryston exhibit, VP James Tanner was showing off his company's new Model T speakers, which are being built at Axiom Acoustics' factory in Dwight, ON.

These are very musical speakers, as evidenced by a file of the Beatles singing an a capella version of "Because." And they have absolutely scary dynamics, as evidenced by some sound effects (breaking glass, banging on a garage door) Tanner played.

There are three versions of the Model T: the passive version demonstrated by Tanner ($6,495 per pair), an active version at $9,495 per pair, and a passive version with external crossover (allowing future upgrade to active version) at $7,495.

rmurray

« Reply #118 on: 8 Oct 2012, 07:06 pm »
 I'm old fashioned James so I was wondering are there any pictures of the actual transducers? :drool:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #119 on: 8 Oct 2012, 09:04 pm »
I'm old fashioned James so I was wondering are there any pictures of the actual transducers? :drool:

Hi

There are pictures of the custom drivers in the brochure but the results is all that matters -  :thumb:

I think the issue you have to be aware of is so many times in this business people focus on one or two aspects of a design and accept or reject based on those issues.  Speakers like amplifiers are a combination of many different design criteria and they have to be considered as a whole in my opinion.  Also the end goal may be different with different manufacturers so the design parameters will also vary as the product is developed.

For the Model T's I wanted a speaker that had state of the art power response into the room and could play at realistic levels without dynamic compression.  These were not the only criteria but they ranked very high on my design thoughts.

james