Greatest guitar player ever, died today...

Rclark

Re: Greatest guitar player ever, died today...
« Reply #40 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:25 am »
He changed rock music. Pete Townsend said he changed it more than the Beatles did, and he was only alive a very short time. I have no doubt he would have kept up with a modern classical guitarist just fine.

It's not just technique, it's the overall man, the swagger, the feel of the music, the overwhelming physical capacity to play, he had it in spades.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #41 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:32 am »
He changed rock music.... I have no doubt he would have kept up with a modern classical guitarist just fine.

At least I'm glad that you finally acknowledge that rock is only one of many types of music.  You have stated your position.  I find it to be limited and incorrect. And no, he could not play classical.  Maybe had he studied for decades instead of killing himself, but he didn't.

Rclark

« Reply #42 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:34 am »

there are many classical electrical guitarists like Yngwie Malsteen who despite their technique simply lack that X factor and will never be considered the equal of Jimi.

It's an intangible.

Rclark

« Reply #43 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:35 am »
 I think his 1960's upside down left handed devastating technique left its mark. And watching him play on video concerts, he was the master of that guitar, the absolute master.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #44 on: 29 Sep 2012, 06:11 am »
I think his 1960's upside down left handed devastating technique left its mark. And watching him play on video concerts, he was the master of that guitar, the absolute master.

i love jimi.  as a wee lad, the first time i ever went out and bought albums, jimi was one of the ones i bought.  but  "the absolute master"?   please...  he can't hold a candle to frank zappa, for one example.  jimi was a great guitarist, but frank was a true master.  (not sure one can say anyone was the "absolute" master - too many wariables, as s clark so rightly pointed out.)  and frank could play classical.  as well as write classical.  all frank's rock was written as well.

rclark, you need to get out more.   :lol:

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #45 on: 29 Sep 2012, 06:14 am »
I have already calculated all this. I know Frank, I know Captain Beefheart, I'm pretty much aware of anybody who's anybody at this point. Nobody can bring it like Jimi.

Like Jackman said, 100 years from now, Jimi will still be at the top of that list, and Frank will be a wha? despite his skill. It's more than that. Music is more than absolutes in one direction or another. Jimi ranked 10's across the board.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #46 on: 29 Sep 2012, 07:33 am »
Nobody can bring it like Jimi.

except for those who can.   8)

as the cliche goes - opinions are like a**holes - everyone has one.  doesn't make it a fact.  my a**hole says frank could outplay jimi on the guitar every which way to sunday.  :green:

Jimi ranked 10's across the board.

except he couldn't read music, and was a so-so songwriter.  so for song writing, i'd give him a solid 5, and for reading music, he gets a zero.

100 years from now, frank zappa will be known as a phenomenal guitar player, & one of the best musicians & composers to ever walk the earth.  jimi will be known as a great guitar player, along w/several dozen others...

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #47 on: 29 Sep 2012, 08:00 am »
 So so songwriter? Lol  :green: Sure. If you think songs about ham sandwiches and lawnmowers in outer space are good songwriting then I can understand the Zappa thing.  :green:

We might as well include Wierd Al and JP Patches  :green: :green:

hendrix's music transcends all that technical bs, transcends all the debates (like this one).

won ton on

« Reply #48 on: 29 Sep 2012, 12:09 pm »
Most people can't seem to get past some of Zappa's corny lyrics. Once you do and listen to the music it's great. So i would have to go with Zappa and yes i'm a big Hendrix fan too. Just go and listen to some of his guitar albums.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #49 on: 29 Sep 2012, 12:21 pm »
Like Zappa was quoted as saying, "Most people wouldn't know good music if it bit them in the ass."

Doc

won ton on

« Reply #50 on: 29 Sep 2012, 01:04 pm »
True enough

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #51 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:13 pm »
I have already calculated all this. I know Frank, I know Captain Beefheart, I'm pretty much aware of anybody who's anybody at this point. Nobody can bring it like Jimi.
Like Jackman said, 100 years from now, Jimi will still be at the top of that list,

One hundred years ago, the new thing was Scott Joplin and ragtime.  150 years ago it was Stephen Foster and Strauss.  200 years ago it was Beethovan.  100 years from now I am sure that Hendrix will have a minor following,  Beethovan will still play to packed houses, and pop music will have gone in an entirely new direction.
Like Doug said, Rclark, you need to get out more. 
Your love of absolute statements undercuts your plausibility. 
And as for Hendrix's ability to play left handed, over his head, while standing on one foot .... how old are you? 14?  Do you really think that this somehow advances your argument?  Who cares?
I was in high school when Jimi broke on to the scene.  My taste have moved past my teenage years.  Clearly you have no idea of the world of music that I listen to, and I lost interest in yours decades ago. 
S Clark

jackman

« Reply #52 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:42 pm »
This thread has devolved into exactly what I was hoping it would NOT become when I posted.  It was justy opinion, even if it is shared by millions of guitar players and Rock fans. 

Lastly, comparing Zappa and a bunch of unknonwn guitar players to Hendrix is a joke.  Zappa is closer to someone like Wierd Al than he was to Hendrix. Although I like some of his stuff, the majority if his compositions are unlistenable.  I enjoyed his quirkiness but never understood how anyone could call that guy a genius or even a competent composer.  Are you guys taking drugs or something when you listen to Zappa albums?  Can you please direct me to a YouTube video of Zappa that shows off his creative genius?  Maybe I'm not listening to the right stuff. 

Like it or not, a hundred years from now people will still be talking about Jimmy Page a d Zepplin, the Beatles, Stones and Jimi Hendrix.  They will be listening to Segovia, Wes Montgomery and BB King, and I think Angus and Malcolm Young, but I don't think anyone will be talking about Frank Zappa, let alone name one of his songs.  They will be more likely to name a song from Wierd Al.

simoon

« Reply #53 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:54 pm »
I'm definitely NOT going to get into the 'Hendrix vs Zappa' debate, but you have to understand that Zappa wrote in several different veins.

Sure he wrote silly lyrics, and that seems to be what his detractors focus on. But much of his music is VERY sophisticated, with influences from jazz and 20th century classical.  Some of it was so complex that even some of the best musicians at the top game had trouble playing it.

And no, I'm not defending his music based purely on it's complexity. I'm just making the point that comparing Zappa to Weird Al is laughable.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #54 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:56 pm »
Were his lyrics silly? :scratch: Many Nusery rymes seem silly today, but they're not.  With a little knowledge of history, they turn out to be just a little bit more than they seem.

Doc

medium jim

« Reply #55 on: 29 Sep 2012, 02:58 pm »
Jimi was flashy and when he wasn't drunk or on something could really play like no other of his generation.  Let me preface something before I go on, there is no such thing as the best guitarist...those who actually play will be the first to tell you that.  Some who have passed away that were in the same league as Jimi. Roy Buchannan, Danny Gatton, Chet Atkins, Tommy Bolin, SRV, FZ to name a few. 

Don't even get me talking about living guitars who were in Jimi's league....

Jim

simoon

« Reply #56 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:04 pm »
there are many classical electrical guitarists like Yngwie Malsteen who despite their technique simply lack that X factor and will never be considered the equal of Jimi.

It's an intangible.

Malmsteen is NOT a classical guitarist. He just plays lightening fast metal in an over the top style that borrows from music of the Classical period.

Playing classical guitar is a completely different skill set that requires decades of study and practice. 

You are correct on one point, though. I'd much rather listen to Hendrix than Malmsteen.

won ton on

« Reply #57 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:05 pm »
Jeff Beck is no slouch and he still has it

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #58 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:14 pm »
Well, this thread was 'asking for it', and it got an argument regarding the statement of 'greatest'. In this Jimi vs Frank question, the photo to the left indicates how I'd answer. These guys were contemporaries and both were iconoclasts, but Frank went to the library while Jimi lit a joint, etc. (and it's the etc. that snuffed that candle). Jimi did have amazing feel, but I can say the same thing about Frank. Both were inventive, but the depths to which Frank probed technology in the service of sound far outstrips Jimi's apparent interest. I have a deep admiration for Jimi's talents, but Frank put his to far greater use.

BTW, Frank was a brilliant social satirist – and yes, humor does belong in music. You can compare songs like 'The Illinois Enema Bandit' to Weird Al's satire of the songs of others if you wish, but I think it indicates your misgivings about them. That particular song was born out of a newspaper article and Frank commented on how bizarre it was that the perpetrator would be sentenced for armed robbery when his actions also included giving his 'female victims a little enema – apparently, there was no law against that!' The description of the (imaginary) courtroom scene is complete with Stockholm Syndrome references. It's not just meant to be humorous; it's a serious commentary (and there are many songs like this from Frank). Speaking of humor, Frank used a broad vocabulary of musical motifs for comedic effect, but it wasn't fodder for 'The Dr. Demento Show'.

In terms of chops, it's a close call, in my opinion – each could do some things better than the other. It comes down to what you value. Still, I couldn't say either was the greatest ever. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to name the greatest guitarist alive today, I'd probably name Steve Morse. He's proficient in so many styles, definitely has 'feel' and is a superb composer. Although, it would be tough not naming Jeff Beck – a guitarist who, thankfully, has no respect for the instrument (guitarists will, I think, get that comment). As for greatest ever, it would be tough not naming Segovia. In either case, there are so many other names equally deserving of the title that, in fact, none should bear that stamp.

There is no 'greatest' – in anything, really. At least, that's my opinion.

Lyndon

« Reply #59 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:54 pm »
Yeah, no need for mud slinging, as this thread really is just one's opinion.
I like most of the musicians that people have mentioned.

And like Lone Wolf, I do believe that Hendrix would have explored a free form type of jazz if he had lived longer.  No one can say.

As for Zappa, I was always a big fan as well.  When an old deceased friend and I would argue these points about guitar players, he would cite this song of Zappa's for his being considered.
Watermelon in Easter Hay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9DqykUsqRY

And the list of wonderful guitarists seems endless: Django Reinhardt, and currently performing, David Lindley, Ry Cooder, and Richard Thompson... :thumb: