Tequila?

ctviggen

Tequila?
« on: 15 Sep 2012, 04:19 pm »
I've had tons of scotches, lots of ryes, and quite a few bourbons.  A friend started drinking tequila (the good kind, not the kind that comes in a huge bottle).  I tried a few (Don Julio
 and El Tesoro).   Since then, I've had no scotches, ryes, or bourbons.  That's how much I like true tequila.

Anyone else try tequila?  If so, do you have any recommendations?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Tequila?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2012, 04:42 pm »
Those 2 are very good. Most tequilas made from 100% agave are at least good, it's hard to go wrong. Herradura Silver is one of my favorites for making margs... that's another subject, but when made with fresh lime juice and about 50% tequila are amazing... I like Anejos for sipping, these were also made to enjoy with cigars.

You could try some Sotol...  made from wild harvested Sotol instead of Agave, it's not tequila but something close... more earthy and spicy.

http://www.tequila.net/sotol-reviews/anejos/hacienda-de-chihuahua-sotol-anejo.html

dflee

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2012, 04:46 pm »
If you ever find yourself in Mexico, get your hands on Almondrado. Almond flavored tequila that has a light after taste of vanilla and then almonds. It should only be drank
as a shot cause it's unique flavor is lost otherwise.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2012, 04:46 pm »
My current favorite.  :thumb:

davek

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2012, 05:30 pm »
My current favorite.  :thumb:

Great choice, my favorite is Gran Centenario Reposado. Awesome brand!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2012, 06:02 pm »
As a longtime fan/reader of Clive Cussler's fiction series, much of which is based on real world items, some time back I tried Don Eduardo Silver. Cussler's 1st hero Dirk Pitt's favorite drink. It's somewhat less expensive than Herradura, but as smooth as the proverbial baby's tuckus. Taste-wise I prefer it over the Herradura. The Anjeo is also excellent. I drink both on the rocks generally, using mid level brands for my margs.

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2012, 06:42 pm »
 :D  do the real good Tequilas even cross the border ?? I think they keep the good stuff.. And we are slowly losing the cactus are we not ?? :D
      Patron is not bad T...... :D

alphaiii

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2012, 07:04 pm »
Tequila is a wonderful drink... and I'd take it over any other liquors too.

My favorites are:
Avion Reposado
Don Julio Anejo
Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia Platino
Don Julio Blanco
El Tesoro Platinum

Casa Noble makes some outstanding tequilas as well - not my favorites flavor-wise... but quality stuff (very well distilled, and SMOOTH), and a top choice for many tequila drinkers.  A few other brands worth tasting are Partida, 1921, and Chinaco.

Don Eduardo, Centenario, and Herradura are all pretty good (I've had each age expression from each, except the Herradura Suprema for ~$300 per bottle), but for me are a tier lower than the above... but YMMV.  I'd put Corazon in that 2nd tier as well.

Patron isn't bad at all, even if a little too simpl... but it's overhyped/overmarketed, and therefore way overpriced.  There are so many top notch tequilas for the same or slightly less money.

alphaiii

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2012, 07:11 pm »
Those 2 are very good. Most tequilas made from 100% agave are at least good, it's hard to go wrong. Herradura Silver is one of my favorites for making margs... that's another subject, but when made with fresh lime juice and about 50% tequila are amazing... I like Anejos for sipping, these were also made to enjoy with cigars.

You could try some Sotol...  made from wild harvested Sotol instead of Agave, it's not tequila but something close... more earthy and spicy.

http://www.tequila.net/sotol-reviews/anejos/hacienda-de-chihuahua-sotol-anejo.html

Herradura Silver does work really well for margs...  more of a citrusy agave flavor (as opposed to too earthy), and it's got enough bite to stand up to the fresh lime juice (yes, real lime only!  :))

Espolon Blanco is another that I think works pretty well for margs... and it's cheap (<$20 in my area).

I've never had Sotol... but it's something I'd like to try if I every find it.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2012, 08:00 pm »
Don Julio blanco is my favorite -- just love that prune aroma

morganc

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2012, 10:17 pm »
All of the tequilas listed so far are good mass produced tequilas, but if you can get your hands on the smaller boutique tequilas, you will be in heaven.

My Favorites are Fortaleza, Clase Azul, Don Julio 1942 (the Creme de la Creme), and ArteNOM Seleccion 1079 Blanco. I think anyone can order those from K and L.   As far as bang for the buck goes the ArteNom and the Fortaleza are "giant killers" :thumb:  lol.  As far as best of the best, the Clase Azul and the Don Julio 1942 are my favorites.   

RPM123

« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2012, 04:23 am »
Si!

In no particular order, I like:

Sino Silver
El Gran Jubileo Reposado
Cazadores Blanco and Reposado
Grand Centenario Anejo

Salud!   :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2012, 04:34 am »
Tequila...

Yes....I'll have some.... :hyper: :thankyou:  :lol:

Research.... http://www.tequila.net/#

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2012, 12:24 am »
Patron isn't bad at all, even if a little too simpl... but it's overhyped/overmarketed, and therefore way overpriced.  There are so many top notch tequilas for the same or slightly less money.
I'm currently nursing a $50 bottle of Anejo Patron.
I love it, but am not married to it, at all. If there's "better for less", I'm all ears!  :thumb:

Bob - Tequila noob

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2012, 12:53 am »
I love tequilla.  :thumb:

My 'shot' tequilla is Don Julio Resposado. Great stuff.

The best tequilla I've ever had is Don Julio 'Real'. Best I've ever had; awesome sipper.

The best I've ever had that's "in between" is Don Julio 1942. If you serve this and someone asks for salt or fruit, take the shot away from them. :wink:

Don Julio get's it.  :thumb:

simon wagstaff

« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2012, 01:58 am »
Yes, Classes Azul reposado and Cass Nobles single barrel organic anejo tequila are two very good reccomendations. I have a theory that any tequila with Azul in the name is a good one. I had a very bad experience with a bag of oreos and a quart of tequila 36 years ago so if I am drinking tequila it is on the rocks, high quality and small sips.

squirrel_nut

« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2012, 02:35 am »
Real de Penjamo is my favorite Tequila to drink straight.  not sure if it's available here in the States. load up in Playa de Carmen once a year ;)

http://www.tequila.net/images/stories/jreviews/629_real_de_penjamo_artesanal_anejo_tequila_2_1185925698

2bigears

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2012, 01:26 am »
 :D   hey you Vitamin " T " lovers,,,, a buddy just brought back a jug of Don Nacho, extra premium from good old Mex.... Is this a good T ???? :D

BobM

« Reply #18 on: 1 Oct 2012, 01:52 pm »
Espolon Reposado was recommended to me about a year ago. It is certainly shooting well above its price point. I am now seeing it on some restaurant bar shelves right next to the Patron and Herradura.

I also like Cazadores Anejo.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #19 on: 1 Oct 2012, 11:57 pm »
This thread should include prices along with the recommendations.   :wink: