Part 3 of A Headphone Journey - The Quintessential Audio Solipsism

adydula

• Restricted
You know they probably would work nicely with movies!!

Never even gave that a thought!

Interesting...

Alex
 :D

ajzepp

I spend a lot of time at a friend's place, and at night when she goes to sleep I like to watch a movie....it used to really be lame watching with just tv sound at a low volume, so using headphones takes it to the same level of enjoyment I would get if I were watching on a nicer audio system. I could use another pair of phones that were comfortable and that are great for movies that I could leave at her place so I don't have to keep taking my T1s back and forth....this might be perfect for the Q701s since one of their strengths is a huge sound stage.  :thumb:

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
I spend a lot of time at a friend's place, and at night when she goes to sleep I like to watch a movie....it used to really be lame watching with just tv sound at a low volume, so using headphones takes it to the same level of enjoyment I would get if I were watching on a nicer audio system. I could use another pair of phones that were comfortable and that are great for movies that I could leave at her place so I don't have to keep taking my T1s back and forth....this might be perfect for the Q701s since one of their strengths is a huge sound stage.  :thumb:

The Q701, as comfortable as they are, have virtually no isolation. Could wake your sleeping friend. The AKG K550 (my second favourite headphone) is close in many ways to the Q701 is closed and wouldn't wake sleeping friends.

Dave

adydula

• Restricted
Well sir...the Q701's wont work then for your purpose unless the sleeper is wearing earplugs!!

Smiling!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
eclein,

Is this what you did with the shells u mentioned to the Grados?

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
Dave,

You mentioned the Bryston headphone amp and a customer assessment.

Do you have that assessment?

I would like very much to read that.

Alex

DaveNote

Dave,

You mentioned the Bryston headphone amp and a customer assessment.

Do you have that assessment?

I would like very much to read that.

Alex

It was posted yesterday on the Bryston circle. Here it is:

"MLee

I've had my BHA-1 Headphone amp a couple weeks now. First off I'll say this amp is way more than I need. I figured that it will be a nice amp to have no matter what headphones I try now and in the future.

My two current headphones are the Ultrasone Edition 8 and the Audio Technica W3000anv. Both are easy to drive but show improvement with amplification, and the Bryston made both sound exceptional. I'm not a reviewer nor an advanced audiophile, but the difference in the Bryston versus the Burson 160 or the Objective 2 is somewhere between definite and substantial.

The detail and the "Fullness", for lack of a better term, of the sound is exceptional. Crisp with impact. While the other amps pair well with these two headphones the Bryston is just a step up, no doubt about it. I'm sure others that have harder to drive phones are going to find the Bryston worth every penny. Yeah, it's more than some/most of us spend on an amp in this hobby, but if you have the ability to get it you won't be disappointed."

Alex, most of my equipment's made by Bryston - amps, preamp, DAC, and digital player. Each is a gem. Therefore, I have no doubt that the BHA-1 is great, although I haven't heard it. I held off buying one because I've been trying to save money for new speakers. The BHA-1 runs about $1300. And I saw I wasn't going to have a convenient place to put it in my system, as well as make the right connections. One of its features is being able to use balanced cables in and out. That is something very serious headphone users would find attractive, but I'm not one who wants to spend great gobs of money on headphone cables. The O2 gave me a unit that had the right footprint and hookup requirements I was looking for, as well as very low price and excellent performance. So my reasons for not buying the BHA-1 are entirely personal. And if I cold find the money, the space and connections, even now, I would demo and then probably buy a BHA-1.

Dave

ajzepp

The Q701, as comfortable as they are, have virtually no isolation. Could wake your sleeping friend. The AKG K550 (my second favourite headphone) is close in many ways to the Q701 is closed and wouldn't wake sleeping friends.

Dave

I'd be in the adjacent room, so leakage isn't a problem. I just can't fire up the speakers is all.

adydula

• Restricted
Hi Dave...

I did find that in the Bryston thread eventually...it looks like a really nice piece of gear for sure and all things condsidered its not that bad in price.

I am always wary on the new thing and wait for several folks to get them and over time how to the feel etc..

The neat thing to me is that a amp like the O2 even being compared to such hardware is a statement in itself.

The O2 amp being designed with low cost, affordability and world class perfromance for 98% of the headphones out there is real awesome thing on its own.

The neat thing about the Bryston is it has enought power to drive those other 2% with authority.

Did you ever get the answer of what its output impeadance is?

All the best
Alex

DaveNote

Hi Dave...

I did find that in the Bryston thread eventually...it looks like a really nice piece of gear for sure and all things condsidered its not that bad in price.

I am always wary on the new thing and wait for several folks to get them and over time how to the feel etc..

The neat thing to me is that a amp like the O2 even being compared to such hardware is a statement in itself.

The O2 amp being designed with low cost, affordability and world class perfromance for 98% of the headphones out there is real awesome thing on its own.

The neat thing about the Bryston is it has enought power to drive those other 2% with authority.

Did you ever get the answer of what its output impeadance is?

All the best
Alex

Alex, I got an answer on output impedence that may or may not be accurate or mean anything. So I don't want to pass it along as it might be spread and misinterpreted.

Dave

adydula

• Restricted
Dave,

Ok I understand.

I was wanting to compare it to what the 02 design is and that it less the 2 ohms I believe.

This is from his site:

"Output Impedance – It should be less than 2 ohms to provide the correct bass damping even with 16 ohm headphones and avoid frequency response problems. Output Impedance differences account for most of the variations in sound quality people hear between different headphone amps and sources."

This is what I like about the 02 good or bad all of its laundry dirty or clean is out there for the world to see.

Alex

DaveNote

Dave,

Ok I understand.

I was wanting to compare it to what the 02 design is and that it less the 2 ohms I believe.

This is from his site:

"Output Impedance – It should be less than 2 ohms to provide the correct bass damping even with 16 ohm headphones and avoid frequency response problems. Output Impedance differences account for most of the variations in sound quality people hear between different headphone amps and sources."

This is what I like about the 02 good or bad all of its laundry dirty or clean is out there for the world to see.

Alex

NwAvGuy certainly makes his point about output imoedence with me. But I haven't read other qualified electrical engineers about this point and not being an one myself, I can imagine the possibility of disagreement on its significance or compensating factors that can be built into an amp. I can only go by my uninformed experience with the O2, which is good indeed.

But I take your point and agree, I think putting it all on the table is best. It's one of the reasons NwAvGuy inspires confidence.

Dave

adydula

• Restricted
Dave,

For some reason many vendors seem to not want the output impedance known?

This to me is a bit strange.

I have read "many" articles about output impedance...if you google you will see many...

Heres one:
http://www.avguide.com/blog/why-headphone-amps-sound-different-frequency-responseimpedance-issues

Their are are differences for sure, but the bottom line is how an amp works with your cans....as this person points out.

Alex

Note: the Lyr we had has an output impedance spec of 1 ohm on the Schiit site. Their Asgard is 1 ohm and the Valahalla is 25 ohms.

ajzepp

Well, I'll have a pair here on Thurs or Fri....looking forward to giving them a listen.

DaveNote

Well, I'll have a pair here on Thurs or Fri....looking forward to giving them a listen.

I hope they do what you're looking for.  :thumb:

Dave

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
eclein,

Is this what you did with the shells u mentioned to the Grados?

Alex

I think they are mine yes, LIMBA....LOL....apparently Limba was used and still is in Violins, Lutes and other wildly difficult to play instruments-I played Violin in 4th -6th grade.(First Chair I might add--LOL!!!!!) I wish I had a recording of that...OMG it would be a riot. I knew or only remember
one note and only the position not what it actually was......

Did you find my mod thread??

adydula

• Restricted
Ed,

No I didnt find the thread, just did a quick search on Limba and Grados and found this image..I will have to look into this...I have no fear of mucking around with stuff like this.

Would be interesting.

I find that the coupling to ones ears / heads really can have a pronounced affect on the way things are "heard" etc...

Does adding this wood make them any heavier or less heavy?

Alex

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Adds a touch of weight but the chamber you make with the shell is all wood except for the screen shown which is just fitted in and removeable. Now the thing I did that was unique to mine was I added a very thin layer of gray foam directly behind the screen so some sound is stopped there which gives the bass more definition for me. The Limba plays a part there as only a couple people also heard a difference. As far as I know these may be the only ones or one of a very, very few that did Limba wood. I got lucky!!!!
 I'll dig up the link:......or not.....LOL
 :thumb:

ajzepp

I hope they do what you're looking for.  :thumb:

Dave

Me too! If they're comfortable and good with movies, anything beyond that is a bonus.

adydula

• Restricted
Ajzepp...

They will be comfortable for sure...its amazing on how light they are .......

Compared to the LCD's these seem like featherweight cans..

Looking forward to your impressions!!

Alex