Part 3 of A Headphone Journey - The Quintessential Audio Solipsism

adydula

• Restricted
Dave,

Been listening to the cans for 2+ hours.

At first thought they were on the light side, but nope, its all there and its wonderful so far.

Been trying on all my pc's, amps and dacs.

These indeed are specail cans and all that you have been saying I can confirm.

Airy, light, fast, clear, just to die for accuracy to me..a wonderful pairing with the ODAC and O2 amp.

At first I was listening for faults and them I quickly found that I was so caught up in the music, the wonderful detail, wonderful sparkle..seriously these cans are a standard.

Diana Krall, Roberta Flack, Dido, Regina Spektor, Allison Krauss, all my RMAF demo disc's just so special and  very revealing and such a wonderful soundstage and imaging...piano sounds so great.....

I dont know why I sold my 702's but I am thankful that you discovered these cans and I got to relive the experience again.

Bottom line these cans are not for sale, they are keepers for sure...

The cord is a little light but doesn't seem to have any negative affect on the sound.

For the price one can have world class sound, accuracy, timbre etc for $250 or so, and another $250 for a O2 AMP/ODAC and be very, very content....

They weigh next to nothing on you head and are very comfortable and the cable does come of easily.

I will wait for a few weeks and see how I feel about these and the LCD2's may find a new home!

All the best
Alex

ajzepp

DArn, I guess Dave is off the hook for now....lol

One thing I love is how they put two different length cables in there. I have extensions for all my phones...I even had Drew at Moon audio fashion me a T1 extension out of some extra T1 cable he had on hand and it worked out great. I love to watch movies from bed and I don't feel like moving my gear around to accommodate, so the longer lengths are great. Nice touch, AKG. (Germans are so smart!! haha)

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
DArn, I guess Dave is off the hook for now....lol

One thing I love is how they put two different length cables in there. I have extensions for all my phones...I even had Drew at Moon audio fashion me a T1 extension out of some extra T1 cable he had on hand and it worked out great. I love to watch movies from bed and I don't feel like moving my gear around to accommodate, so the longer lengths are great. Nice touch, AKG. (Germans are so smart!! haha)

Check the box, Alex. The Q701 is made in Austria, or were you making a funny?

Dave

ajzepp

Check the box, Alex. The Q701 is made in Austria, or were you making a funny?

Dave

Eh, same thing  :lol:

DaveNote

Dave,

Been listening to the cans for 2+ hours.

At first thought they were on the light side, but nope, its all there and its wonderful so far.

Been trying on all my pc's, amps and dacs.

These indeed are specail cans and all that you have been saying I can confirm.

Airy, light, fast, clear, just to die for accuracy to me..a wonderful pairing with the ODAC and O2 amp.

At first I was listening for faults and them I quickly found that I was so caught up in the music, the wonderful detail, wonderful sparkle..seriously these cans are a standard.

Diana Krall, Roberta Flack, Dido, Regina Spektor, Allison Krauss, all my RMAF demo disc's just so special and  very revealing and such a wonderful soundstage and imaging...piano sounds so great.....

I dont know why I sold my 702's but I am thankful that you discovered these cans and I got to relive the experience again.

Bottom line these cans are not for sale, they are keepers for sure...

The cord is a little light but doesn't seem to have any negative affect on the sound.

For the price one can have world class sound, accuracy, timbre etc for $250 or so, and another $250 for a O2 AMP/ODAC and be very, very content....

They weigh next to nothing on you head and are very comfortable and the cable does come of easily.

I will wait for a few weeks and see how I feel about these and the LCD2's may find a new home!
All the best
Alex

Alex, I'm very pleased to see that your first impressions of the Q701 are positive.

You captured what I was trying to say in the final paragraphs of my review. There is a lot of bafflegab in reviews, including mine, but the bottom line - the thing you want especially in a headphone - is to get caught up in the music. When the gear disappears, then it really doesn't get better than that. The subjective assessments, the measuring, the tests and testaments, are all secondary, they are interesting but not the most important thing.

Not everyone would come to the same conclusion about the Q701 as we have because they'll have different tastes and criteria. But that's how it should work.

Dave

adydula

• Restricted
Hi Dave,

It wasnt me asking about where they are made etc....think ajzepp was referrring to those clever "Germans"...
Its not only on the box but on the left can exterior as well. "Made in Austria"

Sitting here playing with the 2 cables to see again if there is any real difference....so far I dont hear anything I can humanly discern.

Also playing with running the O2 Amp wide open on volume and using the software volume to act as a control but making sure that the OS and player is set to 24bits first so we dont loose anything with our 16 bit stuff.....tip from the NWAVGuy...

Alex

DaveNote

Hi Dave,

It wasnt me asking about where they are made etc....think ajzepp was referrring to those clever "Germans"...
Its not only on the box but on the left can exterior as well. "Made in Austria"

Sitting here playing with the 2 cables to see again if there is any real difference....so far I dont hear anything I can humanly discern.

Also playing with running the O2 Amp wide open on volume and using the software volume to act as a control but making sure that the OS and player is set to 24bits first so we dont loose anything with our 16 bit stuff.....tip from the NWAVGuy...

Alex

Alex, thanks for the clarification.

Question: I believe to each his own, so always buy the colour your like, for whatever reason. Everything in my system is black, including the Q.

Why did you decide on lime green? Any particular reason like it matches your speakers?

Dave

adydula

• Restricted
Well I have always be a pastel color guy...but later in life I am beginning to break out of my Johnny Cash black world!!  :D

Most of my stuff is black in the main system, and Onkyo 805 AVR, Oppo BD83SE, AVA Insight + Pre Amp, the SalkSongTowers, My HTPC, 58" Plasma Display...and my HT room is painted dark colors and the window are heavily curtined...so I guess I wanted some color!!

The AVA UltraValve amp does have a silverish color to the front panel and does stick out...

So I have the LCD2's sitting here in their rosewood, the Grados with their metallic silver and the AKG's glowing in that Lime Green color, what a combination....LOL...

Think I have become attracted to just being different!

My wife who really is a saint and puts up with my eccentricities now for 42 yrs of marraige opened the shipping box and said wow you got some really lime green headphones here!! LOL again....

I told her better to listen to Irish folkmusic with!!  :D

Anyway been going around with the Q's, the Grados and the Audeze and am going thru some interesting experiences and feelings again.....coming to the conclusion they all are good within their own right!!

Have a great weekend!

Alex

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Alex how do they sound????

ajzepp

A headphone I've taken interest in recently is the Ultrasone Pro 2900. Beautiful Austrian craftsmanship and design! I want to audition a pair at some point. I wonder how they compare to the Q701s.

adydula

• Restricted
eclien...

I had 702's about a year ago....sold them when I got the LCD2's.

I liked them alot but the bass on the LCD2's was just "more" deeper and very controlled...

That said I wish I had kept them.

Lately the LCD's on the high end started to seem a little lacking ...missing that sparkle and the grados I got really
accentuate the high end and wow I was taken aback..

Then Dave discovered these Q701's and they peaked my interest for sure.

Oh...how do they sound!!

The are different from the LCD2's and from the Grados for sure...

They are very detailed, wonderful soundstage...imaging is excellent, and voices are spot on..
piano is crystal clear and sounds like a piano...

The are very pleasant to listen to....at times I forget they are there and the music just floats in  and around your
head....easy to get lost in the music again...this is a good thing.

The bass from instruments is very tonally accurate and uncanny...the real low, low end stuff is a but lacking but there
isnt many instruments that go down there etc..

This isnt to say the bass in bad. Drums, percussion are fast and staccato....bongos etc simply amazing...wire brushes sound like wire brushed...the timbre of instruments come out clearly.

When you play a recording that is well mastered the soundstage is BIG...where the grados are nice, just less in width.

Diana Krall, Allison Krauss, Linda Rondstadt, Llyod Cole, Cowboy Junkies, LeAnn Rimes, Larry Coryell all are superb...and sound so clear and open...all those little sounds that are hidden or muffled come out very clear and you dont have to strain to here the "small" stuff....makes the experience more immersive..

Bass guitar in Regina Spektor..Fidelity song in her "Begin To Hope" CD...will make you a believer that these cans can belt out bass with authority, fullness and accuracy....

Till The Sun Turns Black CD by Ray LaMotagne...is open and spacious and these cans make this cd a extremely awesome experience...stuff coming from all sides, the middle and a depth of sound....layers and his voice is inside your head and its a treat..

Michael Jackson's Thriller is just marvelous as well...the footsteps walkingthru your head...and the explosive sounds in opening, wolves howling...holy cow its really neat....just like Quincy Jones would like it to be.. LOL.

Melody Gardot...Singing Over the Rainbow melts in your mouth...

The cans seem to let the music spread out and sound like a performance to me...spacious...airy..
More like being there.

I have no earthly idea why I got rid of the 702's wish I could have compared the 2, but from all I have read they are similar for sure....end of that story.

Dave found a real gem here...any serious headphone audiophile would enjoy these immensly....they provide an intimate  experience with music.

If you cant afford $500 or $1K cans your not missing much with these AKG's and I would say your getting things that are missing with some of those cans as well....

They are keepers.

Alex

:D
 Update: Mino Cinelu.....holy cow...the bass demo cd of all times....

DaveNote

eclien...

I had 702's about a year ago....sold them when I got the LCD2's.

I liked them alot but the bass on the LCD2's was just "more" deeper and very controlled...

That said I wish I had kept them.

Lately the LCD's on the high end started to seem a little lacking ...missing that sparkle and the grados I got really
accentuate the high end and wow I was taken aback..

Then Dave discovered these Q701's and they peaked my interest for sure.

Oh...how do they sound!!

The are different from the LCD2's and from the Grados for sure...

They are very detailed, wonderful soundstage...imaging is excellent, and voices are spot on..
piano is crystal clear and sounds like a piano...

The are very pleasant to listen to....at times I forget they are there and the music just floats in  and around your
head....easy to get lost in the music again...this is a good thing.

The bass from instruments is very tonally accurate and uncanny...the real low, low end stuff is a but lacking but there
isnt many instruments that go down there etc..

This isnt to say the bass in bad. Drums, percussion are fast and staccato....bongos etc simply amazing...wire brushes sound like wire brushed...the timbre of instruments come out clearly.

When you play a recording that is well mastered the soundstage is BIG...where the grados are nice, just less in width.

Diana Krall, Allison Krauss, Linda Rondstadt, Llyod Cole, Cowboy Junkies, LeAnn Rimes, Larry Coryell all are superb...and sound so clear and open...all those little sounds that are hidden or muffled come out very clear and you dont have to strain to here the "small" stuff....makes the experience more immersive..

Bass guitar in Regina Spektor..Fidelity song in her "Begin To Hope" CD...will make you a believer that these cans can belt out bass with authority, fullness and accuracy....

Till The Sun Turns Black CD by Ray LaMotagne...is open and spacious and these cans make this cd a extremely awesome experience...stuff coming from all sides, the middle and a depth of sound....layers and his voice is inside your head and its a treat..

Michael Jackson's Thriller is just marvelous as well...the footsteps walkingthru your head...and the explosive sounds in opening, wolves howling...holy cow its really neat....just like Quincy Jones would like it to be.. LOL.

Melody Gardot...Singing Over the Rainbow melts in your mouth...

The cans seem to let the music spread out and sound like a performance to me...spacious...airy..
More like being there.

I have no earthly idea why I got rid of the 702's wish I could have compared the 2, but from all I have read they are similar for sure....end of that story.

Dave found a real gem here...any serious headphone audiophile would enjoy these immensly....they provide an intimate  experience with music.

If you cant afford $500 or $1K cans your not missing much with these AKG's and I would say your getting things that are missing with some of those cans as well....

They are keepers.

Alex

:D

Excellent.  :thumb: Your comments add things I missed in my review.

But Alex, I'm not sure "any serious headphone audiophile would enjoy these immensely." I could see a serious audiophile liking a different kind of sound and, therefore, not liking the Q701. Tastes differ, especially among audiophiles.

I've now got a lot of hours on the Q701, and while I don't feel it has changed, I like it more and more. But that's me, and apparently, you.

Dave

adydula

• Restricted
Hi Dave...

Yes I understand that....but I would hope a serious audiophile that has an open mind would give these cans
a chance...being a serious audiophile myself I am enamored with the sound of these cans as I am with the Grados and LCD2's and some others as well...yes they all play and reproduce sound diffently..

These cans are indeed in a class all their own.

We can fault them surely, but I am beyond that even with the deeper less roll-off on the LCD2's these cans provide a realistic experience...even on the low end.

I was looking for the one and only one set of cans and with the LCD2's I thought my journey was done..onl;y to kick the can down the road to the Grado's and now these!

Who knows there may be others in the future but that wont take away from the experience with these for me...and thats good!  :D

Whats neat is to listen to these for several hours then put on one of the others.....wow what a difference..

All the best
Alex

DaveNote

Hi Dave...

Yes I understand that....but I would hope a serious audiophile that has an open mind would give these cans
a chance...being a serious audiophile myself I am enamored with the sound of these cans as I am with the Grados and LCD2's and some others as well...yes they all play and reproduce sound diffently..

These cans are indeed in a class all their own.

We can fault them surely, but I am beyond that even with the deeper less roll-off on the LCD2's these cans provide a realistic experience...even on the low end.

I was looking for the one and only one set of cans and with the LCD2's I thought my journey was done..onl;y to kick the can down the road to the Grado's and now these!

Who knows there may be others in the future but that wont take away from the experience with these for me...and thats good!  :D

Whats neat is to listen to these for several hours then put on one of the others.....wow what a difference..

All the best
Alex

Alex, I, too, thought the LCD2 was he be all and end all. And I still think it is great, but colored, which many people prefer.

It's good to see how much you are enjoying the Q.

Dave

adydula

• Restricted
I think most of us are eager to find perfection and jump on the bandwagon..thinking that this next one
will be the best...

With all the positive things about the LCD's I jumped....

Then after a year or so and reading about the highs are recessed etc....you start thinking...gee did I do
the right thing and at what cost...reading about your speaker experience etc.

I have for the most part stayed within my financial limits and usually sell something to help finance the next
toy...Lyr gone Q701's in...

The LCD2's were really a jump for me for that audio gold ring.

Thats why these cans at their rather low cost and the O2 and ODAC are so neat....great performance without spending real mega-bucks!

But hindsight is perfection...I probably would do it all over again the same way!!

Question for you Dave, are you playing the Q's with low or high gain??

All the best
Alex

DaveNote

I think most of us are eager to find perfection and jump on the bandwagon..thinking that this next one
will be the best...

With all the positive things about the LCD's I jumped....

Then after a year or so and reading about the highs are recessed etc....you start thinking...gee did I do

I have for the most part stayed within my financial limits and usually sell something to help finance the next
toy...Lyr gone Q701's in...

The LCD2's were really a jump for me for that audio gold ring.

Thats why these cans at their rather low cost and the O2 and ODAC are so neat....great performance without spending real mega-bucks!

But hindsight is perfection...I probably would do it all over again the same way!!

Question for you Dave, are you playing the Q's with low or high gain??

All the best
Alex

I don't regret buying either my HD800 or LCD2, but I agree they are expensive.

Alex, I normally play my Q701 at the low gain level on thr O2. But I discovered that rock (ZZ Top) is more exciting with the high gain engaged, but the volume at about 9:00.

Dave

dB Cooper

What you read is marginally relevant at best. What matters is what you hear. Do the LCD2s please you? If so, they are good. I used to own Sennheiser 580s way back when (also sometimes criticized for a 'recessed' high end, aka the 'Sennheiser veil'). I currently have Senn 555's which I picked for their brighter highs. The upshot? I usually run them with some treble cut, probably splitting the difference, but pretty close to the old 580s. I heard the LCD2s recently at Capitol Audio Fest and liked them a lot. Whether I'd feel the same way after listening a few weeks, I cannot say.

Bottom line, what your ears tell you is the only thing that matters. If you want more highs, I hear (I mean "read") that the Hifiman HE400 has plenty.

DaveNote

What you read is marginally relevant at best. What matters is what you hear. Do the LCD2s please you? If so, they are good. I used to own Sennheiser 580s way back when (also sometimes criticized for a 'recessed' high end, aka the 'Sennheiser veil'). I currently have Senn 555's which I picked for their brighter highs. The upshot? I usually run them with some treble cut, probably splitting the difference, but pretty close to the old 580s. I heard the LCD2s recently at Capitol Audio Fest and liked them a lot. Whether I'd feel the same way after listening a few weeks, I cannot say.

Bottom line, what your ears tell you is the only thing that matters. If you want more highs, I hear (I mean "read") that the Hifiman HE400 has plenty.

:thumb: Excellent point, I think. What you read may prompt you to listen to a particular headphone, but what you hear is all that matters. The reading is one of the guides, so are specs and measurements. Hearing, as you point out so well, is how we judge. As far as highs and lows are concerned, I want to hear highs, lows, and in between, reproduced accurately, with not one of them being dominant. Others may want one or the other to be more prominent.

Dave

DaveNote

To give a good example of the kind of kind of sound in a headphone I was seeking and found in the Q701 (and why I like straight jazz especially for assessing equipment), I was just listening to the Dick Hindman Trio on an Internet radio station. First, and most important, I turned from my reading to listen because of the music and the sound. This was one, it was saying, you should listen to carefully. Happens a lot with the Q.

Piano, bass, drums. During one passage in the piece, they are all playing at the same time. The bass is full, powerful, but tight and not a trace of flabbiness or overpowering. The cymbal strikes are sharp, but not shrill, and with the very metallic sound I like and believe is one of the "true" attributes of cymbals. And the piano is all there with a wonderful ringing decay. All in balance, each distinct in itself, not one of the instruments seeming to be more prominent than the other which, I think, for this passage is exactly what the musicians had in mind.

Dave

adydula

• Restricted
Agree gentleman 100%....

It would be nice to have a place where you could listen to all before you buy to help sort it out...

But like most of us its the reading to help make the decision and then you get the item and then its well thats great or
gee this isnt what I thought it would like etc..

One of the criteria I am forced to use is what I can afford...when I bought my speakers after being out of audio for 10 years and never thinking
that I would ever get back into this stuff....was:

What is the best I can buy for a discrete set of funds...

This is how I wound up with my $2k speaker budget and the Salk SongTowers....

At least with cans its much more affordable to dabble on the mid- range stuff...and rather easy to sell stuff that you dont like
or grow tired of.

And the neat thing is we find many really nice people out there, like you guys, that you can share the passion with.

Time for another cup of Joe!!

I am printing out large prints of a yellow rose for my wonderful wife while listening to the Q701 and Eva Cassidy!!

Alex