aristocrats w/university drivers wrong crossover?

Thinker1920

aristocrats w/university drivers wrong crossover?
« on: 31 Aug 2012, 01:38 am »
hi everybody,

I've been restoring these speakers and trying to figure out how to make them sound their best. They have university 6201 12" woofer, uni. 4401 tweeter horn, and a t-30 mid in one and a mid-t in the other. The current crossover I think is wrong, its a university 4410 600 cycle crossover and I know that its meant for a 2 way speaker and I looked inside to see if I could replace caps in it to improve the sound and I found an inductor and something that looks like a mid-t horn with two wires coming out, which I'm guessing is a capacitor? But beyond having university printed on it there's no indication of its values and its sealed. The tweeter is connected to the main input with only a cap to filter out the low range

so I've got a couple problems here, first the highs are being sent to both horns, and I don't know if I should keep the current crossover or start from scratch? Also I don't think the mid-t is capable of going down to 600 hertz? And I also stumbled into a great pair of cornwalls recently so my dilemma is will the aristocrats sound better than the cornwalls when they are working properly, because even in their current state they are a pretty close second to the cornwalls only lack in the mids, and if I sell them do I part them out or sell them as they are?

thanks!

medium jim

Re: aristocrats w/university drivers wrong crossover?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2012, 02:18 am »
I don't have an answer regarding the crossovers, but will comment on University Speakers. I have a pair from circa 1963, 3 way with the sphericon tweeters and they are nice sounding speakers, nothing exceptional.

Jim

Thinker1920

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2012, 02:47 am »
Nobody knows about these old crossovers? or how I would build one?

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2012, 03:09 am »
EBay often has some University X/O Pods for sale...

This one appears to be for your model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-University-Crossovers-model-4410-2-ways-600-Hz-for-Horn-Speakers-/160874298084?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2574dafae4

It is X/O'd at 600HZ so this seems to be correct.

I hope this helps.

Jim