Is room treatment necessary/beneficial for nearfield?

MaxCast

« Reply #20 on: 9 Jun 2004, 07:11 pm »
Thanks Ethan, that helps a lot.   All the wierd notions in my head and none of them made sence.  

Your site has enough info I could spend the whole week reading it all.  If anyone has been to Ethan's site....check it out.

nathanm

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jun 2004, 08:15 pm »
Your site has enough info I could spend the whole week reading it all. If anyone has[n't] been to Ethan's site....check it out.

Indeed.  I just read two op-ed pieces in the general interest section.  Although you can't see me, but I am giving Ethan the horns right now. :rock:  Okay, so it doesn't have anything to do with fiberglass...but this does:

Do these fabric-wrapped fiberglass panels ever 'shed'?  Meaning, over time do they tend to give off fiberglass dust?  I ask just because I am way keen on the bass trapping idea, but not a big fan of the mess and skin irritation that comes with fiberglass. I suppose it depends on what kind of fabric is used as well.

MaxCast

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jun 2004, 08:23 pm »
Would a nylon flag be too reflective?

Carlman

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jun 2004, 10:27 pm »
FYI, Home Depot doesn't sell rigid fiberglass at all from what I've seen.
Lowe's carries acoustic ceiling tiles that look just like Ethan's photo but have a thin vinyl white sheet on them. (which is easily removed)  I bought 4 at $4/ea.  I think they're a little less than 1", not sure.  

-C

ooheadsoo

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2004, 12:10 am »
For what it's worth, I found a single place in the 30 or so shops I called that carried the stuff.  First, they recommended I buy a different brand than owens corning because the minimum quantity for owens corning is 192sq. ft.  The alternative is 92sq. ft. or so for about $75.

This is 1" 3lb. stuff and it's both more insulation than I need and more than I'd like to pay for.  Anyone in this area want to split a pack?

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2004, 01:06 pm »
Guys,

> I am giving Ethan the horns right now <

Is that good or bad?

> Do these fabric-wrapped fiberglass panels ever 'shed'? <

They don't shed, but if you were to whack them with a broomstick I suppose some fibers would work loose into the air. So wrap them in fabric and you'll be fine.

> Would a nylon flag be too reflective? <

Bass goes right through that, so for panels across a corner to trap bass, almost anything will do. But for absorbing mid and high frequencies, you need something soft and porous like burlap or muslin.

--Ethan

nathanm

an aside
« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2004, 03:29 pm »
Quote from: I
I am giving Ethan the horns right now

Quote from: Ethan Winer
Is that good or bad?

Oh that's very very good!  :rock:  I felt as if I have could have written some of those same articles myself.  Actually, in the case of the software piracy\copy protection issue, I have! Heh!  I liked the sign man thing too - that is definitely some positive community service! :thumb:  The world needs more Ethan Winers if you ask me.  Sorry if that sounds like brown nosing, but I am serious.

ABEX

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jun 2004, 01:52 am »
At the moment I am trying to setup a music room in my basement which doubles as a workshop also.

I bought a roll of Acoustical Fiberglass which I just placed behind the small rack and between the speakers to minimise the echo effect. Good but not great for deadening the negative effects of a live space.

What other things can be done? Any idea?

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
Re: an aside
« Reply #28 on: 11 Jun 2004, 03:18 pm »
Nathan,

> Oh that's very very good! <

In that case, thanks. :lol:

--Ethan

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #29 on: 11 Jun 2004, 03:19 pm »
Abex,

> What other things can be done? <

See the Acoustics FAQ I referenced earlier in this thread. It's second in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

--Ethan