Northern CA GTG

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Northern CA GTG
« Reply #260 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:30 pm »
Whatever you guys plan to do, do it when it's cooler please. :)

Cheeseboy

« Reply #261 on: 2 Oct 2012, 03:42 pm »
I did some research on the NAD M51 DAC that we listened to at Sunils house.  At the time I had no idea that it has a digital volume control.  Michael, have you ever used the unit as a preamp?  How did it sound compaired to the Allinic Pre in the path?

soundofrockets

« Reply #262 on: 4 Oct 2012, 03:44 am »
seems like i was clicking pixs without the memory card.  so no more pixs from me.  i am not sure if the camera has some inbuilt memory and somehow the pixs can be salvaged !!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #263 on: 4 Oct 2012, 04:04 am »
Sunil,

I'm not going back up there youcan retake the pictures. ;) :D
seems like i was clicking pixs without the memory card.  so no more pixs from me.  i am not sure if the camera has some inbuilt memory and somehow the pixs can be salvaged !!

soundofrockets

« Reply #264 on: 4 Oct 2012, 04:10 am »
i just thought maybe that would be possible.  if its of any consolation.  the temperature has dropped considerably.  and when you are coming please bring the big dogs along with the melody 101 and the bigger power conditioner !!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #265 on: 4 Oct 2012, 04:43 pm »

I found this picture of the Melody Pure Black 101 preamp on your camera Sunil.  In my mind this was the star of the show along with the LS9's. 

Here is a reveiw I found.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0311/melody_valve_hifi_pure_black_101.htm

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #266 on: 4 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm »
Well Sunil,

You know what it'd take to entice me to take another drive. :)
i just thought maybe that would be possible.  if its of any consolation.  the temperature has dropped considerably.  and when you are coming please bring the big dogs along with the melody 101 and the bigger power conditioner !!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #267 on: 4 Oct 2012, 10:33 pm »
Steve,

Here's another one:
http://www.dagogo.com/view-article.asp?harticle=353

I had this one for a very long time until I replaced it with the PB101. :)

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #268 on: 4 Oct 2012, 10:46 pm »
I did some research on the NAD M51 DAC that we listened to at Sunils house.  At the time I had no idea that it has a digital volume control.  Michael, have you ever used the unit as a preamp?  How did it sound compaired to the Allinic Pre in the path?

Sounds OK. I haven't listened to a DAC yet that can play all by itself - at least to these ears. I find them too clinical and a bit flat. That includes the Transporter, the Perfectwave DAC, Squeezebox and my M51. Besides, in this dark age of computers and computer audio, believe me, you don't want that to be your only source. These are the dark days of computers after all. Computers are slow, finicky, troublesome, and hold unreliable software. There's nothing like a good ole record player to settle down with which I had to use last night cause I couldn't get the MAC mini to see the USB source.   :|

shotoons

« Reply #269 on: 4 Oct 2012, 11:24 pm »

My future plans for the 9s are to get the upgraded cross-overs and get some polyfil.   That should by itseld take them to another level.  My HT room is mostly for HT – so the 9s have to separated by the width of the screen.  By just moving them closer and toeing them in a little made a huge difference in two channel set up.  It’s not easy to keep moving them between two channel set up and HT setup – so that will remain a limiting factor.  But thanks for the great tips.
I do have some pixs which I will post later.   

Thanks Sunil for being such a gracious host.  It was great to hear the system evolve as the equipment was swapped.
Now I also need to consider upgrading xovers and polyfill for my LS-6's, though mainly in an HT setup.  Gives me some ideas
of a dual 2-channel/HT setup by just swapping out speaker cables to in room gear vs. HT gear in the equipment closet.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #270 on: 4 Oct 2012, 11:29 pm »
I was impressed by the Empirical rig at THE show.  Emperical - JC1 mono blocks - Smaller TAD Speakers.  Did you get by that room?
Have you heard anything with the tube built in the DAC output with a volume knob? 

Hey we could all do the crossover upgrades and polyfil together.  YAYA.  Who has the soldering gun?  I can't find mine. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #271 on: 5 Oct 2012, 04:13 pm »
Thanks Sunil for being such a gracious host.  It was great to hear the system evolve as the equipment was swapped.
Now I also need to consider upgrading xovers and polyfill for my LS-6's, though mainly in an HT setup.  Gives me some ideas
of a dual 2-channel/HT setup by just swapping out speaker cables to in room gear vs. HT gear in the equipment closet.

Rather than swap speaker cables add a tubed pre-amp with HT pass through.  If you recall in our session the soundstage got deeper and the tonal quality warmer and more musical.   You can pickup some really good gear used. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=109828.0

This one would work.  I have the latest rendition of this preamp.   I would ask the seller if it has the HT bypass.  These sold for $3500 new I believe. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #272 on: 5 Oct 2012, 05:03 pm »
I was impressed by the Empirical rig at THE show.  Emperical - JC1 mono blocks - Smaller TAD Speakers.  Did you get by that room?
Have you heard anything with the tube built in the DAC output with a volume knob? 

Hey we could all do the crossover upgrades and polyfil together.  YAYA.  Who has the soldering gun?  I can't find mine.
OK, you made me go back and look at pictures...

This the one you mean? They had some sort of digital room correction going as I recall.

When I heard "smaller TAD's", I though maybe you meant this room.

Anne and I went to this room last thing on Saturday - spinning vinyl and pouring some decent wines. A very pleasurable end to the day.  :thumb:

soundofrockets

« Reply #273 on: 5 Oct 2012, 06:34 pm »
doesn't the Emperical monoblock look just like the Parasound JC1 monoblock ?? are they one and the same ?  i really have to think hard about the tubes.  with little kids running around in the house and especially HT it will will hard to keep them away from touching those glowing bulbs !!

morganc

« Reply #274 on: 5 Oct 2012, 07:14 pm »
The Dodd Pre-amp that Steve was referring too does not have exposed tubes nor does it get hot to the touch.........

There are many pre-amps that have tubes that are not exposed, and you can also get a tubed DAC that would fit that bill also.  And if you are going to RMAF, I bet you can negotiate a sweet deal with any vendors for any such item......Gary Dodd maybe there, and if not there will be several vendors with his gear including Danny Ritchie.....

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #275 on: 5 Oct 2012, 09:15 pm »
Typical tube cage to keep tubes away from little ones. :)

Cheeseboy

« Reply #276 on: 5 Oct 2012, 09:28 pm »
doesn't the Emperical monoblock look just like the Parasound JC1 monoblock ?? are they one and the same ?  i really have to think hard about the tubes.  with little kids running around in the house and especially HT it will will hard to keep them away from touching those glowing bulbs !!

Sunil, 

I was talking about the Emperical Audio DAC with the Preamp built in it.  I had asked if Michael had heard a DAC with built in pre-amp that he liked.  He said no.  I did like the one we heard at THE Show.  It is a solid state pre-amp and with the associated equipment (In the first picture that John posted) the JC1 mono blocks and the TAD speakers I was very impressed.  And yes John he was demonstrating a digital room correction program on his laptop during the demo as well.   

To Morgans point, you don't have to always have a tubed pre-amp that lets the tubes hang out.   I think the Melody PB-101 had a protective tube cage cover.  Others sometimes turn the tube sideways under the hood.  I have a newer interation of the one I used as an example.  It is tall and not very wide.   

Sunil, in my humble opinion, solve the 2 channel imaging opportunity and add a tubed preamp, keep your current amps and you will sit at the right hand of your favorite god.   I know it is easier said than done.   I'm here to lend a hand.   It should be a matter of adjusting the projector, fabricating a frame for the screen and moving the speakers and the couch to an optimal position.    The downside is that you may lose 4 inches of video screen total.   The upside is well, there's that god thing. 

Lemme know we'll mess with the speaker and couch placement and I'll bring my pre-amp.   Yes you can twist my arm and we can drink some wine. 

soundofrockets

« Reply #277 on: 5 Oct 2012, 09:32 pm »
now thats what we are talking about Hugh.  the cage looks nice.  is there a similar version for the amps as well ?  steve. i hear you my friend.  i know it makes way too much sense.  will have to do it one thing at a time.  first up would be the cross over upgrade and the polyfil.  lets get some soldering guns and sonic caps and drink more wine. 

soundofrockets

« Reply #278 on: 5 Oct 2012, 09:33 pm »
i would also like the hear Michaels Joules in his setting without the "hum" and hear what they can do.  so when is the DAC shoot out.  hope its on a sunday !!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #279 on: 5 Oct 2012, 09:50 pm »
now thats what we are talking about Hugh.  the cage looks nice.  is there a similar version for the amps as well ?  steve. i hear you my friend.  i know it makes way too much sense.  will have to do it one thing at a time.  first up would be the cross over upgrade and the polyfil.  lets get some soldering guns and sonic caps and drink more wine.

You, me and Cliff need to do the x-over upgrade and polyfil.   We should coordinate and do one together so we can all learn to do ours.