« Reply #240 on: 1 Oct 2012, 03:13 pm »
PM845?

Just send me a check then. :)

SoCalWJS

Re: Northern CA GTG
« Reply #241 on: 1 Oct 2012, 03:28 pm »
Morning all,

It was a long drive yesterday. :)

Once again, thank you all for a reat time.
It was good to see Steve, Michael, & John again.
A big thanks to Sunil for allowing us into his beautiful home and also to Sunil's brother Roger for his helping hands in lugging those heavy boxes. :)

I won't repeat what others already said about the sq since it's not my purpose of being there for that.

John,
You missed the combo of Melody PB101 & M845. :)
We managed to squeeze, as Sunil mentioned, a Ricky Martin concert disc and it's really really good.

So, once again, it's well worth the drive...and more.

Thanks guys,

:duh:

I was afraid of that - I would have loved to have heard the 9's with a front end of the transport into Michael's DAC to the PB101 and then the M845, with good interconnects, speaker wire, AC cords and clean power - I went into this with the belief that that would have been a winning combination.

Ah well. I had a blast and learned some things and it was great to see everybody.

If I had stayed later I would have missed my flight, and I definitely did not come prepared to spend the night.

See you at RMAF!   :thumb:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #242 on: 1 Oct 2012, 03:42 pm »
It truly was a winning combination.  While the LS9 needs some current for the bottom end what it did for everything else was magic.  I put on a cut of music that has many problems with resolution on a lesser system.  The PB101 with the M845 sounded sweet, musical and displayed soundstage depth that went all the way back to the BBQ on the back patio.  The sax and bass lines were in focus.  I do think this would be a real contender for "main amp status" at Michaels house mated with his Super V's.   

It was great to see you John.  Next time you may have to spend more time.  That had to be tough to do in one day.   You and Hugh get "Iron Man" status for this session.   

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #243 on: 1 Oct 2012, 03:44 pm »
What's Super-V's efficiency?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #244 on: 1 Oct 2012, 03:48 pm »
Found it.
97db.

Then M845 will drive those easily.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #245 on: 1 Oct 2012, 04:12 pm »
It truly was a winning combination.  While the LS9 needs some current for the bottom end what it did for everything else was magic.  I put on a cut of music that has many problems with resolution on a lesser system.  The PB101 with the M845 sounded sweet, musical and displayed soundstage depth that went all the way back to the BBQ on the back patio.  The sax and bass lines were in focus.  I do think this would be a real contender for "main amp status" at Michaels house mated with his Super V's.   

It was great to see you John.  Next time you may have to spend more time.  That had to be tough to do in one day.   You and Hugh get "Iron Man" status for this session.
When I originally started thinking about the 6's, I was hoping to someday figure out a way for bi-amping, hoping that the Ninja would decide there was enough volume to do some custom crossovers. Tubes on the top, big beefy, high current solid state on the bottom. Ah well. I know there is one guy (I always forget who) who has done a couple, but very high dollar - close to what I paid for the speakers.

Keep the XPA-1's on the bottom.

M845 on the top. Custom crossovers...... :drool:

I had that combo (tubes on top, SS on the bottom - Dynaco) on my old stacked bi-amped Advents and really liked the sound. (hmmmm I must be getting old - nostalic about the "good ol' days")

I have to believe that the M845 would make sonic bliss with the Super V's....

Cheeseboy

« Reply #246 on: 1 Oct 2012, 04:21 pm »
Many will want to know what was the best part of what happened at Sunils House.  I'd have to say the kinship and great time we all had that day.   It sure was great to see everyone and exchange thoughts on sound systems.  Some I had met before and others met for the first time.   It was remarkable how the quest for good sound overcomes the barriers to friendship and good times.  Ahh huh huh.  The wine helps.

My nieghbor Marcielo came to see what improvements he could make to his system.  He had never been to something like this.  He was blown away by the comraderie exhibited by everyone at Sunils House.  He was also blown away by the SQ he got to experience.

I'm so glad Michael took some pictures.  You can feel the fun in them.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #247 on: 1 Oct 2012, 04:23 pm »
Or just get the MN845 with 150W and be done with. :)
When I originally started thinking about the 6's, I was hoping to someday figure out a way for bi-amping, hoping that the Ninja would decide there was enough volume to do some custom crossovers. Tubes on the top, big beefy, high current solid state on the bottom. Ah well. I know there is one guy (I always forget who) who has done a couple, but very high dollar - close to what I paid for the speakers.

Keep the XPA-1's on the bottom.

M845 on the top. Custom crossovers...... :drool:

I had that combo (tubes on top, SS on the bottom - Dynaco) on my old stacked bi-amped Advents and really liked the sound. (hmmmm I must be getting old - nostalic about the "good ol' days")

I have to believe that the M845 would make sonic bliss with the Super V's....

Cheeseboy

« Reply #248 on: 1 Oct 2012, 05:31 pm »
New amps or a new car?  That's a tough call when the amps sound that good!

What the hell kind of hot green peppers were those that came out of Sunils garden and onto the BBQ?   They had my eyes watering!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #249 on: 1 Oct 2012, 05:33 pm »
Your car looks fine to me. :)

Isn't it ghost pepper?

What the hell kind of hot green peppers were those that came out of Sunils garden and onto the BBQ?   They had my eyes watering!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #250 on: 1 Oct 2012, 05:38 pm »
Yeah its running great!

That was a very hot pepper.  It was a Ghost with a kick!

I'll check in on Marcielo about the subs you might have to sell.  I'll get back to you. 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #251 on: 1 Oct 2012, 06:16 pm »

Those 845 PM's are 95lbs a piece. Why not go with the extra power of the PM's to drive those line arrays to gut wrenching levels. Besides, just think of the outstanding workouts you'll get moving those hefty amps around.  :weights:  You could delete your gym membership and pay for the Melody's!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #252 on: 1 Oct 2012, 06:35 pm »
Hmmm! The gym runs $140 a month. 

Lemme get this right: 

Buy the Melody Big Boy PM Mono versions, move them around alot and eat plenty of ghost peppers and sweat like a pig.   I'd never have to leave the house to get the workout I need! 

The hard part would be to keep you guys from always coming over to drink wine, shamlessly BBQ and turn it up loud and scare the neighbors dogs!!  Hey things could be worse.

soundofrockets

« Reply #253 on: 1 Oct 2012, 06:40 pm »
Thanks everyone once again for coming and making it a great day.  It all started with super grilling by that deadly combo of Steve and John.  Wine flowed freely and we got to taste some delicate offerings from Napa.  The Wine Fall was in full action and Venturi showed up too.  I think the jury for Wine Fall is still out there.  My personal preference is to use to the Venturi to decante for 30 minutes or more if time permits and then re-Venturi into the glass. 
Also wanted to thank everybody who brought their equipment and especially to Hugh.  Thank goodness my brother Raj was there to help out carrying those “baby” monsters up the stairs.  I wonder about the “big dogs” – are you listening Hugh.  This was my first “date” with the tubes and I sure was impressed.  The tubes – Melody 101 is a sure winner – really make the instruments sing – they feel more natural, warm, involving and take you right there.  I was not familiar with the cuts we played so I cannot comment on their ability to play vocals.  The XPA – 1s I have are pretty darn good for the vocals. 
I agree with all of you that we didn’t have enough time to go over everything we had in mind.  The “humming” with the Joules didn’t really help matters – it simply delayed the process – some of us took opportunity to enjoy the wine more with the dedicated ones worked diligently to get the job done – thanks Michael and John.   I will need to talk to Hugh about getting the power conditioner.  Maybe we can make it a Annual affair – rotating sites – and combine with wine tasting, grilling techniques and tips on photography – I will call you Michael on this.
My future plans for the 9s are to get the upgraded cross-overs and get some polyfil.   That should by itseld take them to another level.  My HT room is mostly for HT – so the 9s have to separated by the width of the screen.  By just moving them closer and toeing them in a little made a huge difference in two channel set up.  It’s not easy to keep moving them between two channel set up and HT setup – so that will remain a limiting factor.  But thanks for the great tips.
I do have some pixs which I will post later.     

soundofrockets

« Reply #254 on: 1 Oct 2012, 06:49 pm »
those were just regular peppers from Home Depot - nothing fancy.  they are pretty "mild"

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #255 on: 1 Oct 2012, 07:20 pm »
Annual affair?
Cool.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #256 on: 1 Oct 2012, 07:22 pm »
Now we all know Steve can't handle the heat. :-)
those were just regular peppers from Home Depot - nothing fancy.  they are pretty "mild"

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #257 on: 1 Oct 2012, 08:42 pm »
Hmmm! The gym runs $140 a month. 

Lemme get this right: 

Buy the Melody Big Boy PM Mono versions, move them around alot and eat plenty of ghost peppers and sweat like a pig.   I'd never have to leave the house to get the workout I need! 

The hard part would be to keep you guys from always coming over to drink wine, shamlessly BBQ and turn it up loud and scare the neighbors dogs!!  Hey things could be worse.

Well....   yes  :green:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #258 on: 1 Oct 2012, 08:56 pm »
FYI. :)

Little Guy: M845=46lbs each
Bigger Guy: PM845: 99lbs each.
Really Bigger Guy: MN845: 154lbs each.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #259 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:22 pm »
OK I think I get the picture.  Lift with your legs! 

At $140 a month in 5 years I can pay off $8400.   That would be $55 a lbs for the "Really Bigger Guy" from Melody and Hugh.  Do I get the bamboo steamer and the ginzu knives?   Gotta cook them "Home Depot" peppers.  Right Honey Boo Boo?   If those were mild I can only imagine your version on hot. :oops:   

Just once a year would not be enough.  We just need to have a quarterly rotating GTG, right?   :P

I'll disagree with you Sunil on the Wine Fall versus the Venturi.  So we will have to do the full challenge at the next get together.  Only John did the challenge at this event.   It's like solid state and tubes.  It's like Line Source and Open Baffle.   It's like......you know what it's like.  Keep tasting until we figure it out.

"My HT room is mostly for HT – so the 9s have to separated by the width of the screen.  By just moving them closer and toeing them in a little made a huge difference in two channel set up." 

You can have both.  Just make the picture size on the screen slightly smaller.  You can do EEEEEEEET!  Use some dark board to block in the new screen size along with your cutains.