« Reply #222 on: 29 Sep 2012, 01:57 pm »
Morning Sunil,

Sorry I missed this.
I went to bed right after my post. :-)

See you after breakfast.

soundofrockets

Re: Northern CA GTG
« Reply #223 on: 29 Sep 2012, 04:31 pm »
getting ready for the big day.  I believe Steve should be here soon.

skeeter99

« Reply #224 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:04 pm »
Looking forward to hearing about this and seeing pics  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #225 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:29 pm »
Looking forward to hearing about this and seeing pics  :thumb:

Me too   :)

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #226 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:59 pm »
On our way. See you good folks in 2 plus hours.  :thumb:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #227 on: 29 Sep 2012, 06:28 pm »
I'm here...where are you guys

SoCalWJS

« Reply #228 on: 29 Sep 2012, 06:55 pm »
Well, I'm at Costco. Should be there in 45 min or so

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #229 on: 30 Sep 2012, 12:52 am »
Morgan,

Where are you?
I brought the AN845 specifically for you.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #230 on: 30 Sep 2012, 01:34 pm »
Made it up and back safely - LONG day. Figured I'd post a couple of photos. Others took pictures, so hopefully they get posted at some point.

First of all, big THANK YOU! to Sunil for hosting this and allowing us into his BEAUTIFUL house.  :thumb: I had a wonderful time and it was great to see some old faces again.

Did somebody say bring wine?

Started out with Sunils sysytem as he has it currently has it (before we changed everything and made a complete mess)

I wanted to try to compare his 9's to my 6's before too much got changed around. Let me preface this with all the usual caveats - different room (well treated - a little on the dead side compared to mine), different equipment, etc. etc.

Having said that, there are some readily apparent differences. They are impressive differences though. Everything seemed quicker as well as more bass. This makes an improvement in detail that I really liked. Having the increased dynamics was nice too (partially due to his sealed room as opposed to my open ended one, I believe). I also was comparing them (in my head) to the Super V's. Which would I prefer if I had to choose? Different beasts altogether. In an ideal world, a dedicated 2 channel room with Super V's driven by tubes and an HT room with the LS-9's - maybe 7 of them or so..... :icon_twisted:

I can dream can't I?

Some of the gang:

More to follow......

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #231 on: 30 Sep 2012, 02:38 pm »
What a great group of folks to hangout with and spend a day listening to music, drinking wine, and assessing the virtues of various gear assembled inside of Sunil's mancave.

Sunil's room is crazy good. Home theater at its best although I did not notice an usher to lead us to our proper seating.

Like SoCal mentioned, the wine was generously flowing in very special ways. And you thought these guys were only good at stereo...

The LS9's were breathtaking to hear. Dynamics and extension galore. They will hit you hard when called upon. They were also friendly to all the equipment we threw at them. That was the challenging part, I thought, of making equipment play with each other. I think I forget that performance audio isn't exactly "plug and play". It's more like "hum,  :scratch: , oh crap,  :duh:

And dropping in large tube heaters in a small room with a bunch of guys (and one woman) made frequent trips to the patio welcome - not to mention the food.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #232 on: 30 Sep 2012, 02:44 pm »
And did SoCal mention thanks to Sunil? We second that. What a great host. Sunil and his brother Raj were very generous, gracious and helpful in all aspects of this event. We left his house a mess and I think his speakers are now facing the wrong direction and he'll need a week to sort out his cable connections  :lol:

Captainhemo

« Reply #233 on: 30 Sep 2012, 04:18 pm »
Looks like a great time  :thumb:

I'd love to be able to attend something like this , it'd be a great learning experience for a newbie in this hobby.

-jay

soundofrockets

« Reply #234 on: 30 Sep 2012, 07:08 pm »
Thanks for coming and making it a great day.   The wine was super good esp the Oakes and the Anderson Pinot.  Some of you may have missed but we finished the day with blu ray Ricky Martin concert.  I was exhausted and just woke up!  So was my brother.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #235 on: 30 Sep 2012, 09:42 pm »
Just got home.

Thanks guys for a great time.

More later.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #236 on: 1 Oct 2012, 01:18 am »
OK. lets see.....listening impressions when we changed gear. I know that the first thing that was done was that Cheeseboy (Steve) changed the position on the internal crossover of the LS-9's to a "larger" setting and we pulled out a disc that had the Yuri Honing Trio performing Walking on the Moon, a piece I am familiar with, so that I could hear the stock setup and get a base reference before we changed things around.

First change was to put the Melody tube pre into the system and Steves's Cherry Digital amp.

Wow - err......WOW!

What a HUGE change - everything became much warmer in the good way. Instruments and vocals both took on more realistic characteristics. This wasn't subtle and everybody in the room used the same words to describe the changes.

I wish we had taken a bit more time and done this more systematically (one thing at a time), but we seemed to be getting into a slightly different frame of mind and were somewhat distracted..... :wine: :banana piano:

We listened a bit, nibbled on cheese & crackers, and sampled some of the regions fine products (although some of them may have been from further away).
Then came the next change. Michael hed brought his Joules to the GTG and was anxious to see how these worked in addition to his NAD DAC (wait, no - the NAD DAC went in earlier - more positive changes), and this is where things got challenging. A ground humm reared it's ugly head and we spent a whole bunch of time trying to resolve this problem. By the time it was (mostly) resolved, I had to head out to catch my return flight (I made it, but just barely -traffic in the East Bay was a nightmare - kept trying to figure out what I was going to do if I missed my flight  :scratch:)

My impressions of the session are that the LS-9's are an incredible speaker. They had power and finesse and clearly revealed each and every change that we made - I think you could spend so much time and effort trying different combinations, each different (not necessarily better), that you would go nuts.

OK, that seems obvious (and therefore stupid), but it was just amazing how different each component sounded, such is the resolution of these speakers. It was easier to hear these difference on the 9's than it is on my 6's.

I hope that after I left, they continued to try the other gear in various combos and were able to give Sunil some ideas as to which direction to go in taking these speakers in the direction he desires. I believe that he could vastly improve his soundstage, depth, and tone over his existing setup by swapping in some of the other equipment brought in if that is the sound that he likes. (hope that's not stepping on your toes Sunil  :duel:)

You have a good room and good equipment that can be taken to new heights with a few changes IMHO.

Thanks agan Sunil for your hospitality! Very generous of you and your family to open your home to a group of audio nuts.

PS - Hugh: Thanks for sharing your insights and wisdom. I look forward to seeing you at RMAF in a couple of weeks (geesh, time starts flying this time of year - it's coming quick!)

Cheeseboy

« Reply #237 on: 1 Oct 2012, 04:02 am »
That was so much fun.  I felt like a kid in a candy store.  Sunil turned his room over to a bunch of enthusiatic listeners.  I didn't see him cringe once. He is such a great sport.  He has a big house, big heart and big love for his audio video system.  I thought for sure a couple of time we were going to blow the whole thing up or at least start a small fire.  Fortunatly we had enough wine on hand to douse it if it ever got started. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #238 on: 1 Oct 2012, 01:47 pm »
Morning all,

It was a long drive yesterday. :)

Once again, thank you all for a reat time.
It was good to see Steve, Michael, & John again.
A big thanks to Sunil for allowing us into his beautiful home and also to Sunil's brother Roger for his helping hands in lugging those heavy boxes. :)

I won't repeat what others already said about the sq since it's not my purpose of being there for that.

John,
You missed the combo of Melody PB101 & M845. :)
We managed to squeeze, as Sunil mentioned, a Ricky Martin concert disc and it's really really good.

So, once again, it's well worth the drive...and more.

Thanks guys,

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #239 on: 1 Oct 2012, 02:57 pm »
Those Melody 845's were sounding sweeeet  :) 

We really needed more time. We all should have just spent the night, not gone into work the next day, drink more wine, and listened to more music.  :lol:

Gotta hear the 845PM's in my system sometime  :thumb: