edoggrc51

Re: Northern CA GTG
« Reply #140 on: 15 Sep 2012, 04:07 am »
That would be great.
Shoot me your email address when you get a chance.  :thumb:

soundofrockets

« Reply #141 on: 15 Sep 2012, 07:58 am »
Steve, where r we with Tom the wine fall guy.  We surely need a demo from the owner !

If we bu y bunch of wine from silver oaks can we can some complimentary hats etc!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #142 on: 15 Sep 2012, 02:23 pm »
I found my old files, but it looks like edoggrc51 beat me to it - I took the pictures and pasted them into a word document at the appropriate steps so I had it as a written and pictorial aid during my work.  8) Needed all the help I could get.

Looking back, I believe I got my instruction set from MichaelHiFi - he may be a great resourse..

soundofrockets

« Reply #143 on: 15 Sep 2012, 08:21 pm »
i will try to get something from michaelhifi.  what kind of soldering device do i need.  i am total novice when it comes to being handy !! and what about the polyphil where do i get that and what much is needed for the 9s ??

SoCalWJS

« Reply #144 on: 15 Sep 2012, 09:06 pm »
I used a basic cheapo soldering iron fron Radio Shack.

This is the list from the email I got:

Soldering iron with a small tip.
Solder. Silver solder is greatly preferred. Considering the amount of money the caps are, probably a good idea.
Solder wick.
Needle nose pliers
Diagonal cutters
Short Phillips screwdriver

I picked up a big box of Polyfil from Wally World that was pretty cheap (Maybe $25? - I can't remember) - would be plenty - it would be way more than I would have used for the LS-6'es.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #145 on: 16 Sep 2012, 12:13 am »
Steve, where r we with Tom the wine fall guy.  We surely need a demo from the owner !

If we bu y bunch of wine from silver oaks can we can some complimentary hats etc!

I spoke with Toms wife on Thursday.  He is on a Rotary Junket to somewhere right now and back on Sunday.  She thought he would enjoy the GTG.  She told me not to get him interested in a new sound systyerm because she has two in college right now.  That sounds familiar, 

Only hats with flashing LED's and propellers.  Our Silver Oaks connection is buying our wine on her personal accomodation account.  I suggest that you buy some wines to taste.  We can always get her help on a case of wine for you later. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #146 on: 16 Sep 2012, 01:33 am »
I spoke with Toms wife on Thursday.  He is on a Rotary Junket to somewhere right now and back on Sunday.  She thought he would enjoy the GTG.  She told me not to get him interested in a new sound systyerm because she has two in college right now.  That sounds familiar, 

Only hats with flashing LED's and propellers.  Our Silver Oaks connection is buying our wine on her personal accomodation account.  I suggest that you buy some wines to taste.  We can always get her help on a case of wine for you later.
Hats with a propeller and flashing LED's? Coooool!  :bounce:

:green: :green: :green:

I think there's no way for me to get wine there easily on the plane, so I figured I'd hit a Costco (Fairfield?) on the way in and see if anything looks interesting, and if I don't see anything new and exciting (to me), pick up a bottle of the Stag's Leap Cab they have at most of them. - I like that one.  :thumb:

soundofrockets

« Reply #147 on: 16 Sep 2012, 08:51 am »
i talked to danny.  he thinks the upgrading the cross over with the sonic caps will further improve the performance of the 9s.  anybody willing to solder those caps for me ??

jr43

« Reply #148 on: 16 Sep 2012, 04:51 pm »
I tried using silver solder, which I had never used, and my cheapo soldering iron wasn't hot enough to melt it.  I ended up using regular solder. I got the silver solder from my wife who just learned to do silversmith work. She uses a small torch. That's what silversmiths use. I didn't think a torch would work very well near the crossover board.
I replaced the caps on my 1984 Klipsch KG4s with sonicaps and WOW, what a difference. It's like buying new speakers! I learned about sonicaps from Danny after building a pair of AV3s. Love them.

soundofrockets

« Reply #149 on: 16 Sep 2012, 05:29 pm »
Will be running trial run with Steve today.  I think I will order the sonic caps.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #150 on: 16 Sep 2012, 08:21 pm »
Will be running trial run with Steve today.  I think I will order the sonic caps.
Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Make sure you don't make any judgements on them until at least 100 hours of burn in, preferably a LOT more-

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #151 on: 17 Sep 2012, 03:11 pm »
Thanks E for the disc.
I have the disc, but sadly I will be out of town that weekend.  :(

However, I can drop off the disc with Hugh if you guys want. Lemme know.  :thumb:

soundofrockets

« Reply #152 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:34 pm »
so.  steve came over on sunday.  we did some rearranging and the heavy lifting. redialed the system.  for ht and stereo to our satisfaction.  listened to some classics and movie cuts.  were satisfied with out efforts.  thanks steve.  also got the see the wine fall in action.  its impressive.  still has to do a blind test with ventoris and on reds.  so the jury is still out there.  lets start finalizing the equipment others will be bringing.  our plan is start the day with music - mostly two channels and if possible multichannel.  compare tubes - pre amp and amp.  take a break.  hit the backyard - enjoy some good bbq - and return for some HT demo.  if others have ideas please share.  lets make it fun and enjoyable for everybody. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #153 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:59 pm »
Will the sonocaps come with the silver soilder from Danny?

soundofrockets

« Reply #154 on: 17 Sep 2012, 05:09 pm »
no sure.  i hope they do.  will ask danny !!

edoggrc51

« Reply #155 on: 17 Sep 2012, 05:28 pm »
Thanks E for the disc.

No problem buddy. It was good seeing you again.  :D

Sunil, I finally got my laptop running this morning. I just sent you the Crossover Upgrade Guide. Please let me know if you got it.  :thumb:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #156 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:01 pm »
From me, unless you guys want something else.
PB101 Pre, M845 Mono, AN845 Int.

How about cd player & power conditioner?

soundofrockets

« Reply #157 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:33 pm »
i have the erc 1 and the oppo bdp 83 are players.  with regards to the power conditioner i think i have the pure audio silve box .  i don't recall the specific model number. 

and don't forget to bring your favourite cd/movie cuts to demo!!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #158 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:35 pm »
Which power conditioner?  We will be spread thin on AC power and should find the best place to use this during the demos at Sunils. 
Can you leave it with me for a home use trial and I'll UPS it back to you in a week?   I have no conditioning today.  I have bad AC.

I would be up to hearing a different cd player.  Will it present itself differently than Sunils Oppo?  How so?
Can you be sure to bring a balanced cable for the pre to amp connections.  There are none in the house that I could see.. 

I'm happy with what you are bringing Hugh.  Is anyone bringing any other gear?  Michael?  SoCal?  Morgan?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #159 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:42 pm »
Our own line of power conditioner.
I could let you use it for a week but I'll need it for RMAF.
I's heavy though so shipping back to me will cost you some moola. :)

I'm thinking about bringing Onix Reference player XCD-50 if you guys want to hear it.
As far as balanced cables, IMHO, it's a waste unless you run a very long cable.
I only use RCA at home.

Which power conditioner?  We will be spread thin on AC power and should find the best place to use this during the demos at Sunils. 
Can you leave it with me for a home use trial and I'll UPS it back to you in a week?   I have no conditioning today.  I have bad AC.

I would be up to hearing a different cd player.  Will it present itself differently than Sunils Oppo?  How so?
Can you be sure to bring a balanced cable for the pre to amp connections.  There are none in the house that I could see.. 

I'm happy with what you are bringing Hugh.  Is anyone bringing any other gear?  Michael?  SoCal?  Morgan?