Northern CA GTG

Cheeseboy

Re: Northern CA GTG
« Reply #120 on: 13 Sep 2012, 08:49 pm »
Hey I'm workin the wine and food.  Holding the "King of the Couch" title for years.  What should we burn on the grill?

I did the research on the Pinot releases available from TwoMey. 

Russian River 2010  90 pts  Needs to age two years or be decanted for sure.  A little thin (Hello Wine Fall)
Anderson Valley 2010 91pts Klassy-Irresistable-Could smell all day ( I like it like that )
Sonoma Coast and Bien I have not been able to find reveiws for the 2010

I'll learn more tonight about the others.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #121 on: 13 Sep 2012, 09:07 pm »
I could bring yours back for you.
That's a very generous offer Hugh - I may take you up on it.  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #122 on: 13 Sep 2012, 09:10 pm »
Hey I'm workin the wine and food.  Holding the "King of the Couch" title for years.  What should we burn on the grill?

I did the research on the Pinot releases available from TwoMey. 

Russian River 2010  90 pts  Needs to age two years or be decanted for sure.  A little thin (Hello Wine Fall)
Anderson Valley 2010 91pts Klassy-Irresistable-Could smell all day ( I like it like that )
Sonoma Coast and Bien I have not been able to find reveiws for the 2010

I'll learn more tonight about the others.
I like them Cabs and the"spaghetti" of wines that you so affectionately refer to as "Bose" - especially with good cheese (insert stereotype comment here)
What kind of grill does soundofrockets have?

soundofrockets

« Reply #123 on: 13 Sep 2012, 09:15 pm »
let me see.  we have natural gas bull 38 inch grill.  with side burners.  if needed there is a spare ducane 28 inch.  are you ready for some grilling.  i have an extra avr and out door speakers setup as well.  when we get tired of indoor activities we can head out and still not miss a beat.  and enjoy  the views of dinner plate dahlias and pumpkins !!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #124 on: 13 Sep 2012, 09:26 pm »
let me see.  we have natural gas bull 38 inch grill.  with side burners.  if needed there is a spare ducane 28 inch.  are you ready for some grilling.  i have an extra avr and out door speakers setup as well.  when we get tired of indoor activities we can head out and still not miss a beat.  and enjoy  the views of dinner plate dahlias and pumpkins !!
Well that's enough real estate to cook most anything.

Who wants what? Cheeseboy - you gonna plan the menu?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #125 on: 13 Sep 2012, 10:05 pm »
You know me.  I have had to swear off the cow.  I guess that leaves ribs ribs ribs ribs ribs ribs and ribs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On second thought I think we should ask our host what he had in mind.  Grillin for 15 is a major commitment on top of an audio GTG.  I would think sausages and peppers are quick and easy.   What did you call those jalapenos wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cheese?   Mrs Soundof has a few things she might have to say about us messing up her kitchen, backyard and the soundroom.
To date  I was thinking finger food.

Wow he said spaghetti!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #126 on: 13 Sep 2012, 10:14 pm »
Atomic Buffalo Turds! :icon_twisted: Finger food. Labor intensive though.

Ribs (done right) take time.

No beef? :o No Tri Tip?  :bawl:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #127 on: 13 Sep 2012, 10:17 pm »
You can parboil the ribs!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #128 on: 13 Sep 2012, 10:21 pm »

soundofrockets

« Reply #129 on: 13 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm »
sorry guys.  no beef.  no pork.  chicken and seafood welcome.  sorry.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #130 on: 13 Sep 2012, 10:59 pm »
Works for me.
sorry guys.  no beef.  no pork.  chicken and seafood welcome.  sorry.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #131 on: 14 Sep 2012, 06:34 pm »
Atomic Buffalo Turds, Chicken Apple Sausage with pineapple and Chicken Apple Sausage with sundried tomato would work best for BBQ.  Perhaps some veggies on the grill too.  Yellow and red peppers and zucchinni,   Make the rest stinky cheese and sour bread.  Are tomato, basil and buffalla mozzarella in olive oil and balsamic finger food?  Perhaps.  Hummus and pita.

All of this should stand up well with red wine and great music. 

Just spitballin here. 

Sunil should be able to finalize on sunday and we will post our menu.

soundofrockets

« Reply #132 on: 15 Sep 2012, 01:32 am »
Now I have the original ls9 from av123.  There r options to upgrade the cross overs, platinum caps, no Rez and polyphil.  Is anybody up to help with the upgrade?  More like 9s on steroids!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #133 on: 15 Sep 2012, 02:16 am »
Now I have the original ls9 from av123.  There r options to upgrade the cross overs, platinum caps, no Rez and polyphil.  Is anybody up to help with the upgrade?  More like 9s on steroids!
I did the LS-6 xover upgrade shortly after I got them from AV123. Contacted Danny for the parts. Another AV123 forum member sent me a bunch of pics on how to do it - probably got 'em around someplace  :scratch:.

soundofrockets

« Reply #134 on: 15 Sep 2012, 02:47 am »
How easy/hard is it to do all that.  How much time? Skill level?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #135 on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:01 am »
Sunil,

Xover upgrade is easy.
Got the bypass caps from Danny and just a few soldering joints then you're done.
Polyfill is easy too.
Just open each woofer then put it lightly in its cavity.
Be sure not to block the port tube.
No-Rez is totally a different animal.
You'll have to open all woofers but be careful not to get any soldering loose.
Scrape out cleanly whatever av123 glued to the cabinet's walls.
Glue No-Rez on those walls then re-insert woofers.

Personally, I'd not try No-Rrez if it's not there already.

soundofrockets

« Reply #136 on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:05 am »
So no Rez is no go.  Where can I get the polyp hill and how much do I need.  I have absolutely no soldering skills.  I can call Danny and c what parts r needed and how quickly he can ship them.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #137 on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:25 am »
It went pretty well for me. Took a bit over an hour on the first one - but only because I was super paranoid and triple checked everything, referring to the photos constantly. Second one took less than half an hour at a relaxed pace. Minimal soldering skills, a basic soldering iron, some solder, and a wick.
I tried the polyfil thing - I thought it was a pain. Had my wife supporting each driver after I pulled it out. Gave up after awhile. Never have finished that little project  :oops:

I don't think I would try putting no rez in unless I tilted the speaker over and got a good work area - tight quarters and a true PitA.

edoggrc51

« Reply #138 on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:58 am »
I have a PDF file that a member from the av123 days sent me a while back. It's got step by step instructions with lots of photos. I can email it to you tomorrow I you'd like.  :)

soundofrockets

« Reply #139 on: 15 Sep 2012, 04:02 am »
That would be great.