Airport Extreme with Hard Drive = Time Machine?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Airport Extreme with Hard Drive = Time Machine?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Aug 2012, 11:32 pm »
Yes.

It took about 4 weeks for the initial backup (around 2.5 TB with a 100 Mbps pipe),
I've got my speed as high as I can go and it still says 86.5 days for 895GB.   :o

Crimson

« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm »
Does anyone know if there is a way to actually stop CrashPlan from running in the background?  I've never thought there was a difference sonically wtih some stuff running but I don't want to do something that makes me  :duh:

You can adjust the frequency of the incremental backup. There really is no need for it to run continuously on a music machine.

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2012, 01:20 am »
John: I am interested in your backup plan of attack. I see you use an 11" Mac Air and a portable HD. Is that it? Still happy with it, or do you get 13' lust?

I am looking at the Mac Airs, but I need a big HD. By the time you go for a 500 gig SSD you add another $800.00 to the air. Are you running a smaller SSD and using your portable in unison for extra room, or just as a backup.

What I do is have a big drive in my laptop - 1 terabite, then use time machine to backup onto another large drive that only gets plugged in to the mac and power when I do a backup. I also take the most important files and drag and drop them onto another backup drive.

Rocket_Ronny

Sorry, I missed this. Currently I use TM to back up my laptop to my desktop, and the desktop has an attached drive for TM. "Important" files get occasionally copied to a cheap NAS with rsync. I don't use TM on the music computer, just rsync the music library to the desktop.

The drawback with this system is that I never managed to figure out a good way to keep the working directories on the laptop and desktop in sync. Now it's a mess... So I'm in the process of restructuring my file system so I can use a single machine with a (relatively) small SSD, and larger disks via Thunderbolt. Backups will separate "system" from "data" with CCC for the former and rsync for the latter. I might still keep using TM for wireless backup.

I've realized that the best way to get more storage on my NAS is to trash it and repurpose my old Mac mini as a "file server" with attached FW drives. Don't know why I never thought of that before  :duh:

Online backup isn't really an option for me, unless I'm very selective about it.

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2012, 12:59 pm »
By the way...

I am looking at the Mac Airs, but I need a big HD. By the time you go for a 500 gig SSD you add another $800.00 to the air.

Apple's upcharge for SSDs (and memory) are a little ... um, extreme. Compare those prices with OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

If you need large internal storage, an Air is not the machine to be looking at (not yet anyway), IMO.