Starting my N3 build

jeffh

Re: Starting my N3 build
« Reply #60 on: 6 Sep 2012, 05:54 pm »
You might want to check with a couple of your local spray in bed liner companies. They might spray them for you cheaper than you think.  I took a wagon to one a while back and they only charged me $30.

jparkhur

« Reply #61 on: 6 Sep 2012, 07:14 pm »
Ditto.  I took a set of speakers to the motorcycle shop and they sprayed it candy blue when they had a car come in.  50 bucks and a sixer of beer...  JP

Captainhemo

« Reply #62 on: 6 Sep 2012, 08:52 pm »
Thanks for the tips  guys... I may  look into that although  transporttion is tough for me.  I'm legally blind so  no driving for me and I don't know many  folks with  trucks anymore. 
I can pick up a quart  for $4 0 or the spray bombs are $10/can.  I used  2 cans on my sub so  I'd gues  2 or 3 cans / speaker.

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #63 on: 11 Sep 2012, 07:39 pm »
Well,  after a weekend of many blunders,  I finally  got   these cabinets  painted this morning. It was all supposed to be done   by Sun eve but   that just didn't happen.

Inded up  finally spraying them with the  Home Depot  truck bed liner,  the same stuff I used on  my sub. It isn't rubbery  at all  and   gives a nice satin black, lightly textured final finish.  The TBL  sprays on surprisingly thin and soesn't hide  imperfections  as well as you'd might expect so  getting the cabinets prepped well is key.
After spraying them  with   2 coats,  I'm  pleased with how they turned out.  Here are a few pic...

Going to go work on getting the  xo's mounted to the access panels and installing the elecra tubes

-jay

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #64 on: 11 Sep 2012, 09:05 pm »
Looking good...

Ron

« Reply #65 on: 11 Sep 2012, 09:31 pm »
  Your N3 TL's look great Jay. I like the satin black finish. Great job!  :thumb:

Ron

Captainhemo

« Reply #66 on: 14 Sep 2012, 12:07 am »
Got a quick question about the poly fill  behind the top woofer and the tweeter....
I can see from the diagram where the poly fill needs to be but   how loose do I  place  it in  there ?  Just loosely fill the  chamber  ?
Also,  I'm  assuming that the  rear holes in  the br ace B's get covered up with poly fill  ?
Thanks guys

-jay

Ron

« Reply #67 on: 14 Sep 2012, 12:14 pm »
  I recommend lightly filling the back half of the cabinet with poly-fil. By lightly filling I mean the poly-fill should be fluffed out and not compressed.
The rear hole in the brace will be covered but this is not a problem.

Ron

lacro

« Reply #68 on: 15 Sep 2012, 11:46 am »
Jay,
They are looking great! You are really moving along.. How did the glue slurry thing work for you, was it difficult to sand, any problems with paint adhesion?

Larry

Captainhemo

« Reply #69 on: 15 Sep 2012, 04:09 pm »
Jay,
They are looking great! You are really moving along.. How did the glue slurry thing work for you, was it difficult to sand, any problems with paint adhesion?

Larry

Hey Larry
Yes, the finish turned out  really nice.  I'm glad I covered the cabinets with the glue/water mixture.  It rolled on  very easily and   once it was dry  it sanded very easily.  I started with 240 grit  and  did a final   sand with 400  before priming.   
No issues with the primer sticking  to  it.
Surprisingly to many,  the truck bed liner from  home depot sprays on very thin so  having  a well prepped surface is important..  Also worth noting,  the TBL from home depot is not "rubbery" at all.  It drys to a  hard ,  durable finish. I ended up using about 2.5 can  on the 2 speakers.
Almost done,  just need some  help  with the soldering  and it will be payday :)

-jay

SteveRB

« Reply #70 on: 16 Sep 2012, 05:26 pm »
any chance we can get a close up photo of the finish, maybe under a couple different lighting scenarios...?

Captainhemo

« Reply #71 on: 16 Sep 2012, 11:49 pm »
any chance we can get a close up photo of the finish, maybe under a couple different lighting scenarios...?
Here's  1.  I  tried to get more but my  battery died in the camera.  I'll get a few more later.  It's tough to get  many different lighting  conditions in the garage,  it's either flash or no flash

The finish is quite textured.  When you run your hand over it, it feels like say a  very worn  sheet of 240 grit sandpaper.

There are also a coule shots of my sub in my gallery that show it not too bad.

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #72 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:38 pm »
Here are a couple more close ups.  Sorry the lighitng isn't a whole lot different

And here is my first attempt at  a grill.  The front side definitely looks better than the backside !  I used contact cement to attach  the cloth and found it difficult to keep things neat .  Hopefully I'll do better on the next one.

-jay

jparkhur

« Reply #73 on: 17 Sep 2012, 07:01 pm »
Sometimes this works sometimes not.. I cut a grove in the backside of the grill with a table saw or skill saw and then use window screen rubber to push in the fabric to hold it in.  I also then hide small staples in the grove to keep the kids from tearing the fabric off. 

JP

Captainhemo

« Reply #74 on: 24 Sep 2012, 07:55 am »
man ,  I am so happy  and sooo impressed :)
I finally finished up the N3Tl's this afternoon Unfortuinately I had to go with terminals to connect the wires to the drivers for now as I haven't been able to line up  anyone to  do the soldering for me.  I did solder the terminals to the wires as I was able to  do this out in the open where I could easily use a magnifying glass  to see what I was doing When I line someone up  to  solder the drivers ,  I'll have that done but for now this will do.

Once the drivers were installed,  into the basement they went

Final touich was to put the  badges on

These sound better than I could have  ever hoped.  I haven't heard a lot of "expensive " ( i know it's realative)  speakers so I'm not able to make comparisons but these   reproduce so  much more than  I have  ever heard.  There is  a lot of really  tight bass that blends  great with my sub.  There is definitely more "punch"   in the room.  Mids and highs are   amazing  as well. I'm  hearing  symbols in music that  I   had never heard before.  It's great
hehe,  I'm  so  friggin happy,  perma grin  for the evening  :)
Got to go listen to some more tunes  !!

-jay

« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2012, 03:46 pm by Captainhemo »

TrungT

« Reply #75 on: 24 Sep 2012, 08:15 am »
^^^^^
Great job, looking good.   :thumb:

Ron

« Reply #76 on: 24 Sep 2012, 09:45 am »
  Your finished N3 TL's look great Jay!!  Good job !  :thumb:  I knew that you would be very pleased with their sound quality. The N3 TL's are really wonderful sounding speakers. Very clean and detailed. Thanks for all the pictures you posted during the build for others to see.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #77 on: 24 Sep 2012, 11:27 am »
I'm glad you like them J.  Nice job too!
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2012, 09:13 pm by django11 »

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #78 on: 24 Sep 2012, 06:37 pm »
Great job Captainhemo. You guys rock. :thumb:

lacro

« Reply #79 on: 24 Sep 2012, 09:22 pm »
Jay,
 They look great parked next to the TV :thumb:. Are they for double duty, HT and music? When are you going to build a center to go with them? Unlike me, you sure made quick work of those cabinets. Glad they sound good, that's the most important thing. Those are on my short list now that I have been bitten by the bug....

Larry