Starting my N3 build

Danny Richie

Re: Starting my N3 build
« Reply #20 on: 16 Aug 2012, 11:05 pm »
Thanks Danny!  I have been studying the N3 TL for quite some time.   :)

Well, sounds like it is time to build a pair so you can join the club.

Captainhemo

« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2012, 03:54 pm »
Agreed !!  I'm sure glad I finally decided to build a set and can't wait to hea them 

nzone

« Reply #22 on: 17 Aug 2012, 05:34 pm »

Not yet.  There are too many things going on right now.  I haven't finished my room treatments yet since March ( 2 24x24x72 bass traps, 5 24x6x48 broadband traps). After this is done, I will need to build new enclosures for the two sets of dual 15" Rythmik.  I have them now in dual-opposed configuration.  I want to change it to dual front-firing configurations.   Perhaps, I could pre-build the N3 TL enclosures at the same time.   

The N3 center looks too small....the LS Center looks too big...Danny how about something in the middle (enclosure size wise): M165-16 | Neo10 | Neo3 | Neo10 | M165-16 or M130-16 | Neo8 | Neo3 | Neo8 | M130-16 as center?

Captainhemo:

How is it going with glue the foam to Lino?  I apologize for trolling in your thread.

Captainhemo

« Reply #23 on: 17 Aug 2012, 11:41 pm »

Captainhemo:

How is it going with glue the foam to Lino?  I apologize for trolling in your thread.
No worries ...
I tried the wood glue with a couple pieces but it doesn't stick very well to the vinyl.  Went out and picked up a can of the  3M Super 77 and it worked great  :thumb:

fschris

« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2012, 01:38 pm »
great looking build.... Following.  I am building some Zaph TT's right now. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #25 on: 18 Aug 2012, 03:33 pm »
great looking build.... Following.  I am building some Zaph TT's right now.
Glad you like it ..  Do you have a build thread going as well ?

Captainhemo

« Reply #26 on: 20 Aug 2012, 04:17 am »
Well, I didn't get a whole lot done this weekend.    I did finish  gluing in the foam so that is out of the weay.  After getting that done,  I decided to roughly  fit and sand  the fron baffles .  When screwed in place they actually came out pretty  close   Not to much sanding was required to get a decent fit.  All the edges have had a  first sanding.

Now,  I'm going to be using fiberglass insulation  for the   " stuffing" in the areas shown in the plans.  What I'm wondering is  how  thick  should the insulation be in the areas indicated above brace "d" and brace "e" ??
Also, when I get to the  point wher I'm  putting it in behind the woofers,   do I need to make sure  that the   semi circle openings in brace  b  is kept clear  or do I  fill with  insulation  right over the openings as  it is kind of shown in the plan ?

I've got to get the  vent openings cut out.  I ordered a cheap flush trim  bit   from China .  Usually delivery  from China has been bery quick in the past but this seems to be taking a little longer, hope it shows this week.
Next build I do I'll make sure  I do all the cutting/fitting before  gluing in the  vinyl/foam.

-jay
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2012, 09:31 am by Captainhemo »

Ron

« Reply #27 on: 20 Aug 2012, 01:57 pm »
  You are doing a great job Jay.  :thumb: Keep up the good work. Anxious to see pictures of the finished speakers and your opinion as to how they sound. Thanks for posting pictures of your construction progress for others to see.

Ron

Captainhemo

« Reply #28 on: 20 Aug 2012, 04:08 pm »
  You are doing a great job Jay.  :thumb: Keep up the good work. Anxious to see pictures of the finished speakers and your opinion as to how they sound. Thanks for posting pictures of your construction progress for others to see.

Ron

Thanks Ron  They are coming along pretty nicely.    Need to  still cut the  round over on the ooutside edges and the vent holes.  After that,  I'll get the  crossovers mounted and glue on the various pieces of insulation (still not sure how thick to make these).
 After that,  I should be good to glue on the front panels and start into the finishing stages
Can';t wait to hear them  :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #29 on: 20 Aug 2012, 11:01 pm »
Here's why not to buy cheap router bits from China.   1st   use with this bit and the friggin bearing came off ....  before I noticed it, the damage was done.
Looks like  I'll be making a new  baffle  and doing some creative  thinkiing for the inside of the  vent which now needs some repairs.

I'm not a happy person at the moment :(
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2012, 12:38 am by Captainhemo »

nickd

« Reply #30 on: 22 Aug 2012, 04:52 pm »
Bummer on the router damage. :(

While you repair the damage, I would recomend a trip to Wallmart for some poly-fiber-fill. I wouldn't put fiberglass in a vented box. You don't want glass particles floating around in your home, not good for the lungs you know. The Poly fiber is cheap, safe to handle and makes great speaker stuffing.

Captainhemo

« Reply #31 on: 22 Aug 2012, 06:38 pm »
Bummer on the router damage. :(

While you repair the damage, I would recomend a trip to Wallmart for some poly-fiber-fill. I wouldn't put fiberglass in a vented box. You don't want glass particles floating around in your home, not good for the lungs you know. The Poly fiber is cheap, safe to handle and makes great speaker stuffing.

Yeah,  the router damage is a bummer,  I wouldn't be recomending  those cheap bits to anyone L(

Good tip on the FG, I'll look into the poly  Fiber.  Thanks !

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #32 on: 23 Aug 2012, 11:38 am »
Sorry to hear about you problem.  I wonder if it might have been just a case of tightening the screw on the bearing on the bit before using it?  Something I don't normally do but will now keep in mind.

As a side note, I like to tell my clients that my 20 years of  experience is 20 years of mistakes and accidents that I won't repeat.  I still make new mistakes though...

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #33 on: 23 Aug 2012, 12:14 pm »
Ha :lol:  Me too, django!

Captainhemo

« Reply #34 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:58 pm »
Sorry to hear about you problem.  I wonder if it might have been just a case of tightening the screw on the bearing on the bit before using it?  Something I don't normally do but will now keep in mind.

As a side note, I like to tell my clients that my 20 years of  experience is 20 years of mistakes and accidents that I won't repeat.  I still make new mistakes though...

You're right,  that is quite possible.  I also never check  the screw ,  not a mistake I will make again .    I can't even find the screw   from this particular bit.   The bearing was sitting in the bottom of the cabinet , but no sign of the screw so I don't know what happened to it.

I think we all have made our fair share of mistakes over the years.   What you telll you clients is a great way of looking at it.  Live and learn   :)

-jay

lacro

« Reply #35 on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:22 pm »
You're right,  that is quite possible.  I also never check  the screw ,  not a mistake I will make again .    I can't even find the screw   from this particular bit.   The bearing was sitting in the bottom of the cabinet , but no sign of the screw so I don't know what happened to it.

I think we all have made our fair share of mistakes over the years.   What you telll you clients is a great way of looking at it.  Live and learn   :)

-jay

Jay,
 Sorry to hear about your mishap. I suggest you get a magnet out and run it all over to try to find the screw. It is probably a tiny M2 or M3 hex socket hex cap screw, and won't be real easy to find at your local hardware. Although you may get lucky.
 How bad is the damage? Do you have pictures? You may be able to repair it with Durhams Putty as it works very well on MDF. Or maybe you can just cut our the section of damaged board, and ship-lap a new piece in.

Larry

Captainhemo

« Reply #36 on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:35 pm »
Jay,
 Sorry to hear about your mishap. I suggest you get a magnet out and run it all over to try to find the screw. It is probably a tiny M2 or M3 hex socket hex cap screw, and won't be real easy to find at your local hardware. Although you may get lucky.
 How bad is the damage? Do you have pictures? You may be able to repair it with Durhams Putty as it works very well on MDF. Or maybe you can just cut our the section of damaged board, and ship-lap a new piece in.

Larry

Hey Larry
I'll tty using a magnet to fid the screw, hopefully that will work.  I've pretty much got the cabinet repaired.   I ended up   routing out the damage and gluing in some new strips  to make the vent    nice and   straight again.  I actually didn't take picutres, I was too frustrated to een think of that.   I will take a  coule of the repair  and  show what i did.
The baffle is a different story, it was really gouged in one spot... I may just    make an entire new  baffle as I have  enough spare MDF  lying around.    I  have tried to repair it just to see how it would be.    Same idea, glued in some new pieces    but not sure  they will hold up to   being  rouited to fit the cabinet opening, we'll see.  If they do, Iguess it will be fine.
I guess things were going too smoothly ,  Murphy's law had to kick in at somepoint

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #37 on: 24 Aug 2012, 11:50 pm »
Here are a few pics of the  vent and babble repair.    I'm actually not expecting the baffle repair to  work  as I don't think it will holld up to routing. The baffle  has had all four edges "replaced" ajnd thus needs to be  routed with the trim bit..  If it sdoesn't hold up ,  I'll be cutting a new baffle.  I'll probably just do that any way but it will be fun to see if the repair can hold up.

The vent  will be fine.  Another coat of wood putty on each side and we should be good to go again.
Here it is right side up.

And from the bottom (upside down)

I'll try routing it tomorrow and see what happens.

BTW, I never did find the screw that fell out of the  bit  .  However, I pulled out my  old RC helicopter  parts bins and found a small screw that fit so I have a bit again :)  Used Loctite and  crankded that little screw  as tight as  I could . 
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2012, 06:46 pm by Captainhemo »

Captainhemo

« Reply #38 on: 26 Aug 2012, 12:33 am »
The repair held up fine to being routed .  I was surprised as I figured the  pieces I glued in would have  just been torn out by the router. Stron bonds..
Didn't get much more done than cutting the two vents out as I was  on lemonade seeling duty with  my niece :)

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #39 on: 26 Aug 2012, 01:52 am »
 :thumb: