Ikea Expedit as a Turntable Stand

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Ikea Expedit as a Turntable Stand
« Reply #20 on: 2 Sep 2012, 11:46 pm »
Yes, very easy to mount, a 10 minute job. You end up with at best one in a stud, the other  using a drywall anchor as it is not on 16" centers.

i have done home-made wall-mount turntable shelves in the past.  in this case, i would absolutely run something substantial, like two 2x4's, horizontally, to pick up wall studs; then attach the expedit to those.  this would also give you a bit of extra room for clearance for wires, etc., at the back of the turntable on a separate platform, as it wouldn't be pushed so far forward.

doug s.

trackball02

« Reply #21 on: 23 Sep 2012, 07:28 pm »
I'm going to try my hand at stacking Lack tables using 4 of them. The bottom will use the table top without the legs.
I noticed on various web sites and blogs, that some will rest the legs directly on each top and fasten with glue or screws, other have used spikes. This there a better degree of isolation between each level when using spikes, or does it matter?

I am also thinking of using 4 vibration isolation pads at each level instead:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MASON-NeopreneCork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-5C027?Pid=search

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 23 Sep 2012, 07:55 pm »
Or here for less than half the price:
http://www.soundaway.com/Neoprene_Cork_Pad_p/16101.htm

andyr

« Reply #23 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:19 pm »
I'm going to try my hand at stacking Lack tables using 4 of them. The bottom will use the table top without the legs.
I noticed on various web sites and blogs, that some will rest the legs directly on each top and fasten with glue or screws, other have used spikes. This there a better degree of isolation between each level when using spikes, or does it matter?

I am also thinking of using 4 vibration isolation pads at each level instead:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MASON-NeopreneCork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-5C027?Pid=search

If the aim is to couple each table to the one below - use spikes.

If the aim is to isolate each table from the one below (so the top table has a great deal of isolation from the floor) - use isolation pads.

Regards,

Andy

trackball02

« Reply #24 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:28 pm »
Andy,
I totally agree with your points.
What is better when using with a turntable? Couple or isolate?
The stand will be in a room on a carpeted second floor of a wood framed house.

andyr

« Reply #25 on: 23 Sep 2012, 09:39 pm »
Andy,
I totally agree with your points.
What is better when using with a turntable? Couple or isolate?
The stand will be in a room on a carpeted second floor of a wood framed house.

Logically, it seems to me the only reason to have multiple tables - rather than just one - is to provide the top table with more isolation than just one table would provide.

Hence you should use isolation pads under each table's feet.

Regards,

Andy

trackball02

« Reply #26 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:14 am »
I decided to use 3 Lack tables, this will give me 2 shelves for LP storage below with the turntable sitting on top. At a $9.99 per table, quite inexpensive. I'm going to get the isolation blocks as suggested by Letitroll98. Thanks everyone for your advice.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #27 on: 24 Sep 2012, 02:35 am »
I decided to use 3 Lack tables, this will give me 2 shelves for LP storage below with the turntable sitting on top. At a $9.99 per table, quite inexpensive. I'm going to get the isolation blocks as suggested by Letitroll98. Thanks everyone for your advice.

I like these and they are cheap and cheerful
A box of 48 for only $12.96

http://www.pexsupply.com/DiversiTech-MP-2C-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

trackball02

« Reply #28 on: 24 Sep 2012, 04:12 am »
pumpkinman, Wow, that is cheap and cheerful, have you tried them?
I ordered the 1 inch blocks from Soundaway before I saw your post. They were not that expensive on Soundaway.

It looks like these blocks have a lot of grip, just resting the legs of the tables right on the block is sufficient, or should I glue them down with a strong adhesive? Should I be paranoid about knocking this rack over?  I am located in California (earthquake country).

I also ordered record dividers:  http://www.wwhardware.com/media-shelf-dividers-h771-80/

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #29 on: 24 Sep 2012, 08:04 pm »
Actually no I haven't but I bought these from the same company. 
They are supposed to have a better ability to isolate.

http://www.pexsupply.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

I have an unopened box of 48 (of the cork) that came last week 

« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2012, 01:00 am by pumpkinman »

trackball02

« Reply #30 on: 18 Nov 2012, 06:38 pm »
A follow up. Thanks everyone with your suggestions.

I used 3 Lack Tables (9,99 each), sawed off the legs, and place isolation blocks at all levels. The turntable rests on a heavy solid maple chopping block. To keep the records upright, I used wire dividers. I originally wanted to place the wire dividers into holes drilled into the top table. However, the tables are hollow! Not really sturdy. Instead, I got a 1/2 inch piece of plywood, drilled and secured the divers into the plywood spaced about 5 inches apart, and used construction adhesive to attach to the underside, so the wire dividers hang down. In the rear of the plywood is a second piece, so that the back of the record jacket can only be inserted about 14 inches from the front. I also wrapped each isolation block with electrical tape to hide the cork block. 

The completed stand works quite well.