Thoughts on the sound from those who aren't Kool-Aid drinking fanboys.

cab

cab:

Jeff Rowland was one of the amp designers and he also panned them.

Jim

Really? I guess he forgot that he has been making and selling class d amps for several years, or that he has been readying a product based on Hypex modules, which  he absolutely loves, at least that is what Paul McGowan at PS Audio posted last week,....

cab

You know you're trolling, bro. You seem reasonable enough at diyaudio when within your element, but seem to relish getting into people's faces interweb-style on this forum. You see Jtwrace getting in a huff over here?

I think you know you are trolling, dude.

And I only get into people's faces when they get in mine first, so just back off....

medium jim

Can:

You irrationally defend them to no end. It is great that you think they're the best thing ever.  I personally think I already have the schnitzel.  The point I'm trying to make is very simple, let each and everyone come to their own opinion of them and stop forcing yourself on everyone.

I respect many of the amp designers who were asked their opinion regarding the state of Class D.  It confirmed what I have personally experienced with the class D amps that I have heard first hand.

You still haven't answered what your "Buy In" is. 

Jim

wushuliu

"bully each and everyone who presents a different view or opinion of them?" Seriously? No, really? Bullied each and every one? Usually I only "slapp(ed) down (those) posting gibberish and nonsense."

See, I have a legitimate basis for posting in ncore threads: I have built them, I have listened to them for many hours, and I have compared them to other amps. Then there are others, such as yourself, that see fit, despite the fact that you have never even heard them, and know little to nothing of their technical workings,bto chime in every chance you get and make disparaging remarks about something you have no direct experience with. You ARE the yang to RClark's ying! He is illogically positive, and you are illogically negative...

We get it. You're a self-anointed authority on Ncores and will suffer no fools, etc. We get that. Boy do we get that. Problem is you're just turning a bunch of people off with poor communication skills and seem incapable of not having the last word.

medium jim

Really? I guess he forgot that he has been making and selling class d amps for several years, or that he has been readying a product based on Hypex modules, which  he absolutely loves, at least that is what Paul McGowan at PS Audio posted last week,....

Maybe you should take the time to read the TAS.  His last 2 sentences about class d were not very flattering.

Jim

wushuliu

Echoes of Dan The Man...

sts9fan

First, I love NCore just for the threads.
Second, I highly doubt Jeff Rowland panned class D. Many of his amps are ICE based!

cab

We get it. You're a self-anointed authority on Ncores and will suffer no fools, etc. We get that. Boy do we get that. Problem is you're just turning a bunch of people off with poor communication skills and seem incapable of not having the last word.

No, I am turning off people that insist on throwing in their insults and snark when they are unable to offer anything of substance.

OzarkTom

at least that is what Paul McGowan at PS Audio posted last week,....

Paul McGowan also said today and yesterday that preamps are dead. Are you now going to throw your preamp away?

wushuliu

No, I am turning off people that insist on throwing in their insults and snark when they are unable to offer anything of substance.

So now we come full circle back to the troll question, your response, and my more than helpful reply.

cab

Maybe you should take the time to read the TAS.  His last 2 sentences about class d were not very flattering.

Jim

From Paul McGowan:

"By Paul McGowangravatarcloseAuthor: Paul McGowan Name: Paul McGowan
Site: http://www.psaudio.com

My friend and fellow audio designer Jeff Rowland came by to say hi the other day.  Jeff’s always a welcome guest as he and I manage to nearly always be on parallel paths when it comes to product designs.  I found Jeff and friend Tim Jerome in our listening room playing music on the new amp we’re working on developing.  I’ve written before that this new amplifier is a stunning breakthrough in audio reproduction and to date I haven’t heard anything close.

The amp technology I am referring to is, as many of you guessed, based on the new Hypex class D technology and sure to form Jeff had independently made the same decision and was on a parallel path to building his own version."

Reading this, and knowing that Rowland has been selling class d amps for a long time now, I tend to believe he likes them....

"stunning breakthrough in audio reproduction" and "to date I haven’t heard anything close." Sounds like he likes them too....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Paul McGowan also said today and yesterday that preamps are dead.
Can you post the link on this? 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Also, guys, please treat each other with some respect.  Just as a refresher see the guidelines here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37305.msg333476#msg333476

I think it's safe to say that people will like and dislike any piece of audio equipment or a car.  Bottom line, respect that persons opinion and leave it at that.  Is it that hard?

cab

"Bottom line, respect that persons opinion and leave it at that. "

Amen....

OzarkTom

medium jim

Here's Jeff Rowland's last two sentences when asked about Class D (May/June 2012 TAS pg 71):

"...Strict adherence to a class designation for an audio designer is like asking a painter to reduce the number of colors on his palette.  The end result may be less vivid than you had hoped for."

Jeff's words, not mine...

Jim

cab

Here's Jeff Rowland's last two sentences when asked about Class D (May/June 2012 TAS pg 71):

"...Strict adherence to a class designation for an audio designer is like asking a painter to reduce the number of colors on his palette.  The end result may be less vivid than you had hoped for."

Jeff's words, not mine...

Jim

I don't find that a put down on class d in any way....he could be taking about class A as well....

OzarkTom

A somewhat surprise on the Theta website, Theta has taken off their earlier announcement of the new Hypex based Prometheus amps.

I wonder what that is all about. :scratch:

sts9fan

Medium Jim, you are misunderstanding Jeff Rowland.
Here is the full question and anwser.

Is Class D competitive with linear
designs in sound quality, and if not, will
it ever be?

I consider Class D to be highly
competitive in the present, and to offer
an evolutionary pathway of audio
design that may produce even more
astonishing results in the future. Again,
it is not a matter of class distinction.
The application of technology is what is
important. It can produce brilliant or poor
results depending on its implementation.
Strict adherence to a class designation for
an audio designer is like asking a painter
to reduce the number of colors on his
palette. The end result may be less vivid than you had hoped for.