Suggestions for upgrading C1 (coupling cap) in AKSA 55W

stvnharr

« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2004, 03:42 am »
Easy to miss things.
I'm just thinking of new things to add to the amp, since nothing has been done in the year since construction.   Of course, don't really need anything, it's just the nature of the hobby I think.

kyrill

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2004, 06:36 pm »
Hi Hugh

I might have missed this one. But with the GK-1 as a preamp, how big is the change to have direct current on the output? If negligible is it possible to just omit C1 and replace it with a wire?

AKSA

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2004, 09:49 pm »
Kyrill,

It can be done but it is fraught with risk.

You've only to connect a non-capacitively coupled source and the amp goes west, often taking out fuses, possibly outputs, and maybe speakers.

The difference with and without, with good capacitors, is very marginal.

Think of capacitors as condoms;  risk is all around........... :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

SamL

« Reply #23 on: 4 Aug 2004, 09:52 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
Sam,

I'll have a go at this one...... :lol:

I use a professional solder sucker.  (This is a high end sex-aid for a pcb.....  :wink:  )

These machines cost several hundred dollars;  mine is a cheapie from Micron.  You place the tip of the gun over the pad, with the hole centred on the end of the lead, and pull the trigger.  It makes a dreadful noise, like a machine passing wind (the sonics of the expensive ones, like the Hako, are MUCH better!)  

Hi Hugh,

A follow up question about soldering and unsolder on the amp pcb.  I just wonder if SIP socket can be used on the amp pcb as this can save the hassle of soldering and unsolder and allow switching of different value parts without ruin the soldering trace. Once an "ideal" value/component is found than we can unsolder the SIP and solder the "chosen" component.

Sam

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #24 on: 4 Aug 2004, 11:24 pm »
It will add extra joins in the path. I think this will have a deleterious effect on the sound quality

This is from someone who is trying to remove all RCA sockets from his system for the same reason..

AKSA

« Reply #25 on: 4 Aug 2004, 11:33 pm »
Yes, Sam,

It's practical, and a technique I have used.  Find the fully machined ones, break them into individual pin/socket combinations, and mount them individually.  The machined hole permits tight insertion of the component lead with minimal sonic impact, which, as Malcolm suggests, is inevitable but can be minimized.

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #26 on: 5 Aug 2004, 11:15 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Kyrill,

Think of capacitors as condoms;  risk is all around........... :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh
Mmmm, Hugh,

I'll have to think "long and hard" about this one  :P  .  How do you think soldering would go, to attach said capacitor in parallel with the relevant member???

Regards,

Andy

AKSA

« Reply #27 on: 5 Aug 2004, 11:48 am »
Andy,

Ah, but you've heard about plastics welding?

Ultrasonics, of course!!  (Not to mention plasma flux!)

Cheers,

Hugh