LS6 & room acoustics

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: LS6 & room acoustics
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:27 pm »
Are you limited to that 13' or can you can move the left speaker out into the 8' opening?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jul 2012, 06:46 pm »
Find the place that gives you a perfectly centered voice stage then move the speakers out until it collapses.  The place where the image is still centered and the speakers are spread out as far as possible will usually result in a big soundstage across the room.  It will change room by room.  The speaker placement set up is for you to enjoy doing on your own.  I always find that a second opinion in the room always helps. 

Bizarroterl

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2012, 03:07 pm »
Are you limited to that 13' or can you can move the left speaker out into the 8' opening?

I may be able to move it slightly into the open area.  My concern with doing that is the right would be in a different "environment".  Wouldn't that compromise the the "acoustic balance" (made up term, FAIK)?

Bizarroterl

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jul 2012, 03:12 pm »
Find the place that gives you a perfectly centered voice stage then move the speakers out until it collapses.  The place where the image is still centered and the speakers are spread out as far as possible will usually result in a big soundstage across the room.  It will change room by room.  The speaker placement set up is for you to enjoy doing on your own.  I always find that a second opinion in the room always helps.

I figured I'd probably have to do that.  The thought of moving the LS6s around is a little intimidating, but the from all the reviews it'll be worth it.  My back already aches.  ;)

kingdeezie

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2012, 03:20 pm »
No matter how I go there will be compromises. 

I took a closer look at possibly moving furniture around and placing the LS6s on the stairwell wall, only out 4 to 5'.  It turns out the couch is too long.  It's nearly 12' long - a 5 part couch with each section reclinable and the end ones are powered.  The chair is a matching powered recliner.  We spent a lot on them and the WAF is zero for replacing them.

My pre is a Marantz AV7005 so I do have Audyssey capability.

I'll plan on bass traps in both corners.  I'll have to adjust there a little as the A/V-1RS will have to be closer to the rear wall than I'd like.

How far apart should I place the LS6s?

I would not use Audyssey.

I find that EQing, especially in these processors and receivers, are more detrimental then beneficial.

Ethan from real traps, explains it better then I ever could. http://realtraps.com/art_audyssey.htm

If you have to use that wall, you HAVE to get acoustic traps behind you. Get some GIK Monster traps, some of their stands, and set them up right in front of the window behind you to ear level and above.

Treating the corners is also critical. Also, treat the walls behind the speakers as much as possible with GIK Monster Traps.

pureiso

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2012, 04:44 pm »
Counter reply:

I think he should definitely use both acoustic treatments and run the EQ.  You cannot correct every issue in-room with just one method...

"Listening to a variety of music there was no question that the sound was improved when the MultEQ was engaged." 

It will just give that sweet spot a little bit of better presentation, since he is working with an extremely difficult room to correct...

Edit: Also note that it has been 5 years since that article was written, and he even stated that EQing was still beneficial.  Since then most mid to high-end have multipoint EQ and other software to deal with room modes and standing waves.  But, correcting the room first with as much acoustic treatment as he can and then running the software would give the best possible sound.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2012, 06:27 pm »
I suspect that the problems with room auto EQ comes when it is used in lieu of room treatments and proper setup.  My plan is to get the best sound I can with the compromises I'm stuck with before I engage the Auto-EQ.  It should be pretty obvious if it improves the sound or not.

Since I already have the equipment there's no pain if it doesn't work.

mlbrand

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jul 2012, 04:10 am »
I suspect that the problems with room auto EQ comes when it is used in lieu of room treatments and proper setup.  My plan is to get the best sound I can with the compromises I'm stuck with before I engage the Auto-EQ.  It should be pretty obvious if it improves the sound or not.

Since I already have the equipment there's no pain if it doesn't work.

IMHO, that's exactly the right approach, do all you can with setup and treatments, and then run your auto EQ and see how you like it. To me auto EQ works the best with the lower frequencies, which is where us LS-6 owners with small to medium rooms need the most help.

Also, don't be afraid to play with your crossover setting and sub-woofer location. This is blasphemy to many here, but I run dual subs with my LS-6's and cross them over at 80 hz. This is actually where my excellent auto EQ system sets them (ARC system in my Anthem D2 processor), and I have played with my crossover settings manually and it sounds better there to me. We can usually place our sub(s) in better locations for flat bass than where we can place our front mains.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2012, 10:47 am »
Have you finished the build. How does everything sound.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #29 on: 22 Aug 2012, 02:42 pm »
Its part of a remodel which I hope to have done this spring.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #30 on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:30 pm »
That is tough stuff for a DIY project.  You have to build the room first so you can build the speakers to go in it.  Best of luck to you. 

Bizarroterl

Re: LS6 & room acoustics - now subs too
« Reply #31 on: 10 Jan 2013, 05:59 pm »
Permits were pulled yesterday, so in a few months I'll be putting the LS6s together.   :thumb:

Thinking about subs now.  I have a Velodyne FSR18 I've been using.  In addition to sub duties it also served as a end table.  I'll need a second end table so I'm seriously thinking of building 2 end table subs.    Planning on one SW-12-04 per end table/sub (downfiring) and one A370PEQ to power them.  I have some questions about this.

Since I have the room should I go with a larger box for the SW-12-04 than the 1.5cuft?  Is 2.5cuft too big? 

Should I keep the FSR18 and use it as a 3rd sub to help level out the room or should I just sell it?

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 10 Jan 2013, 06:40 pm »
Since I have the room should I go with a larger box for the SW-12-04 than the 1.5cuft?  Is 2.5cuft too big?

Keeping the box at 1.5 cubic feet is optimal. 

Should I keep the FSR18 and use it as a 3rd sub to help level out the room or should I just sell it?

If it were me, I'd not use it with the servo subs. It will sound slow and boomy by comparison.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #33 on: 10 Jan 2013, 08:17 pm »
Thanks Danny!