Full wrap veneer availability?

andy_c

« on: 31 May 2004, 12:42 am »
Hi,

I recently saw a post by dubravko in which he showed a picture of his full wrap veneer RM2's.  They looked really nice.  I'm currently in the market for a pair of RM2's, and after seeing his post I became very interested in this option.  Recently I made an inquiry regarding availability of full wrap veneer with the RM2's and was told that option is not currently available.  I also noticed there's no info on the full wrap option for any of the VMPS line in the latest posted price list in this forum.  Has the full wrap option been phased out for the RM2's?

Also, does the $2,499/pair suggested retail price of the RM2's in the posted price list include sound coat and megawoofers (same as the $2690/pair shipped price stated for the RM2's on the VMPS web site)?

Thanks,
Andy C

John Casler

Re: Full wrap veneer availability?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2004, 01:13 am »
Quote from: andy_c
Hi,

I recently saw a post by dubravko in which he showed a picture of his full wrap veneer RM2's.  They looked really nice.  I'm currently in the market for a pair of RM2's, and after seeing his post I became very interested in this option.  Recently I made an inquiry regarding availability of full wrap veneer with the RM2's and was told that option is not currently available.  I also noticed there's no info on the full wrap option for any of the VMPS line in the latest posted price list in this forum.   ...

Hi Andy,

Although I didn't see the picture your refering to, the only VMPS that I have seen that are veneered on "all sides" are the ones from MLS.

Mark does not currently make the RM2 cabinet.

Also, does the $2,499/pair suggested retail price of the RM2's in the posted price list include sound coat and megawoofers (same as the $2690/pair shipped price stated for the RM2's on the VMPS web site)?

Yes.  All RM2s currently produced have soundcoat and MegaWoofers.

andy_c

Re: Full wrap veneer availability?
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2004, 01:36 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Although I didn't see the picture your refering to, the only VMPS that I have seen that are veneered on "all sides" are the ones from MLS.

Hi John,

Here's the pic of dubravko's system (bottom of page) http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;system=319
That's a nice pair  :D

Also John Beavers' 626R's here http://hometheatertalk.com/httalk/viewtopic.php?t=6790

And the VMPS web site states " Many owners have voiced a desire for deluxe finishes on our speakers, so we now offer full wrap oak (lite or dark, with veneered fronts and tops as well as sides) at $200pr; (...)  Prices apply to Subwoofer, LRC, RM and 626R series speakers.  Allow 4 weeks for delivery."

And a full wrap RM40 is shown here http://www.vmpseurope.com/e/p-rm.htm

I don't think any of these are MLS cabinets are they?

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2004, 01:52 am »
Hi Andy,

Sorry, I misunderstood you.  I thought you were asking for the veneer to also wrap around the "rear" of the speaker.

I beleive most of the veneer upgrades include the "full wrap" as defined by "front, top, bottom, and L&R sides".

The MLS also includes the rear of the cabinet.

The reason it is not listed as an option as it used to be, is that it is included and is not an extra charge, like it had been some time ago with some finishes.

andy_c

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2004, 02:41 am »
Ahh, okay - I think I understand this a bit better.  But I'm still a little confused :D.  Quoting the web site again, it says "...we now offer full wrap oak (lite or dark, with veneered fronts and tops as well as sides) at $200/pr...".  Is this option currently available for the RM2?  Or have the recent changes to cabinet vendors (or other related policy decisions or whatever) rendered this info obsolete?  Maybe this question is best asked of BigB, since it could be a policy issue?

Thanks

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2004, 06:22 am »
Andy
The most Brian ever quoted me for full wrap option was $100pr MSRP, never ever did he verbally quote me $100ea, which = $200pr.  I feel virtualy positive that was a misprint.  

Definitely ask Brian what is available.  But asking before you are literally ready to put a deposit down is a very very not great idea.  The info might be different two weeks later.  

Personally, at this moment, I think the only RM2 full wrap available are custom veneers, no oak or piano black standard finishes in full wrap.  The full wrap I believe meant only that the front baffle was veneered, not the rear.  A long time ago Brian said he would take no custom orders, meaning customers could not place orders for a particular special veneer item.  There was a time when he could/would make special orders with one of the old cabinet vendors.  But when I did make special orders, the wait was unbelievable, like 2-6 mos, no exagerration.  Brian discontinued dealing with that vendor & gave up promising cabinets unlikely to exist till after so much time elapsed that they might not even want speakers when they arrived!

andy_c

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2004, 06:40 am »
Thanks Jim.  Looking at the pics of the RM30's, it appears that their front baffles are veneered even in the standard configuration?  What I'm getting at is that the addition of the FST (standard on RM30 but optional on RM2), plus a non-oak custom finish would put the RM2 into tha RM30 oak price range.  So if a veneered front baffle is a sticking point, maybe the RM30 is the best way to go?  Sounds like a crazy reason to do such a thing, but I've done a lot crazier things in my life  :lol:  I don't have much interest in exotic wood, I just don't want the system to look unsightly when the grill is removed for best sound.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2004, 06:45 am »
Yes: RM2 + HET = $3090 vs. RM30M $3500.  Unless the absolutely deepest bass overode all other considerations, I'd recommend the RM30 over the 2 any day.  I even like the RM30 over the 40 except for the deepest bass & bass power.

dubravko

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2004, 05:55 pm »
Andy,
as others already told you, all of these RM2s have matte black back. I think they look fine... The best combination would be veneered front but with all edges rounded like on a standard cabinet.

[/url]

andy_c

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2004, 03:17 am »
Those sure look nice dubravko!  I agree that it makes little sense to have veneer on the back and didn't mean to imply that they were that way in my earlier posts.  The web site uses the term "full wrap" to mean "including the front baffle" which seems a good way to go.

I should probably post this in the "VMPS wish list" thread, but it sure would be nice to have this option currently available to prospective RM2 owners.  Your RM2's really look great.

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2004, 04:28 am »
Quote from: andy_c
Those sure look nice dubravko!  I agree that it makes little sense to have veneer on the back and didn't mean to imply that they were that way in my earlier posts.  The web site uses the term "full wrap" to mean "including the front baffle" which seems a good way to go.

I should probably post this in the "VMPS wish list" thread, but it sure would be nice to have this option currently available to prospective RM2 owners.  Your RM2's really look great.

Hi Andy,

It isn't an option now (as in paying extra) since "that" is the way they come standard now.

The front baffles "are" veneered.

andy_c

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2004, 05:37 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Hi Andy,

It isn't an option now (as in paying extra) since "that" is the way they come standard now.

The front baffles "are" veneered.

Well, I'm really scratching my head over this one because of the conflicting information I've received.  This is the kind of case where keeping the web site up to date and accurate is essential.  Confusion on the part of prospective purchasers is counterproductive.