A Big Thank You From Francis Baumli

Baumli

A Big Thank You From Francis Baumli
« on: 6 Jul 2012, 03:32 am »
   I have been remiss in not already posting a big thank-you to the Gateway Audio Society for its support of the May 6 fundraiser at McGurk’s. These funds, you will recall, were for a medical mission (nothing to do with religion) going to The Honduras. My wife, Abbe Sudvarg, was the physician for this team, and has asked me to express her gratitude for the financial support and also for the considerable personal support extended by members of GAS.
   This meeting certainly proved to be a fertile opportunity for reconnecting with many GAS members. Scott Faller came with his august entourage, and several “peripheral” members, by the end of the evening, felt not at all peripheral. In the silent auction, some fine items were sold. Rare vinyl found good homes, rare boxed sets of CDs were being lovingly fondled by their new owners, and an AR-ES1 turntable with all the Merrill mods found a worthy owner.
   “Thanks a million!” as my dad used to say.
   “Let’s do it again next year!” I say.
   If this “thank you” is belated, there is another matter which also is belated. I had told people I would give the answer to the question: “How many audiophiles does it take to change a lightbulb?” I intended to do this when all the GAS members were in a tight-knit group, but my plans were constantly foiled because people kept succumbing to the centrifugal forces of various temptations. So I here give the information:
   Q: How many audiophiles does it take to change a lightbulb?   
   A: At least 26. About 3 to drink beer while the old lightbulb is being unscrewed. Then 4 to examine the old lightbulb and figure out what went wrong with it. Next, 5 to spend several hours upgrading the new lightbulb. About 6 to drink beer while the new lightbulb is being screwed in. Approximately 7 to discuss how euphonic the 60-hertz frequency of the new lightbulb is. Then only 1 to discover that there is a new model of lightbulb which will work better than the one that just got installed.

BPoletti

Re: A Big Thank You From Francis Baumli
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2012, 12:39 pm »
 :duh:

It takes a lot more than 26.  You didn't mention the following important audiophile tweaks:

changing the light socket to wood to dampen the 60 hz vibration
upgrading the light switch to hospital grade for better electron transfer
cryogenic treatment of the light bulb
adding light purifiers to the circuit to eliminate bad photons
sending the bulb away to a vacuum purification facility to have upgraded liquified vacuum poured into the bulb
using a purified power supply to provide only filtered 60 hz sine wave to the filaments
adding a slow start circuit to gently heat the filaments 
substituting gold contacts for the stock tin
using 6N OFC pure copper wire for the power circuit to the light socket

This is just a short partial list.  You can see that much more is needed to get that light bulb's performance up to audiophile standards. 

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Re: A Big Thank You From Francis Baumli
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2012, 08:49 pm »
I'm certainly glad this didn't start out as: "How many audiophiles does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"
Response to that question would have taken a completely different tangent. . . :icon_twisted: