My System Sounds Like Crap

WGH

My System Sounds Like Crap
« on: 4 Jul 2012, 05:28 pm »
I'm not making this up, my system really does sound pretty lousy...at least compared to what I'm used to.

The Back Story

I have been renting a 2 bedroom bungalow with a basement and garage for 34 years because my lovely landlady has kept my rent really, really low (it hasn't gone up since the early 80's). She is now close to 90 and the property is now being managed by her evil daughter. On June 1st she notified me that I have 30 days to get out. They want to fix the place up and rent it for big bucks to UofA students.

The New Story

My Salk HT2-TL's, AVA electronics, home theater, and miles of wiring are all safely packed up and waiting for the fall.

I got myself a 2 bedroom house with a garage until the end of September while I look for a place to buy. The summer rental is partially furnished so there is no room to set up a proper stereo so I cobbled together a temporary system from my old equipment closet. I bought the NAD 7155 in 1985, the yard sale speakers are JBL 2500's. The Sony XDR-F1HD and Samsung digital TV tuner work great with the Radio Shack rabbit ears.

I may or may not get the music server and DAC plugged in.

I have the entire A Song of Fire and Ice series on my Nook, the new place has air conditioning so I'm settling in for the long hot Tucson summer.

This is all somewhat liberating, you guys should try it.

Wayne

srb

Re: My System Sounds Like Crap
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2012, 05:41 pm »
I think if you move the JBL2500s to the very front of the credenza, you could improve your sound by ~ 6.3%.

Good luck in house hunting.  You have one of the coolest pairs of HT2-TLs ever produced, so I know you will enjoy introducing them to their new digs.

Steve
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2012, 12:02 am by srb »

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2012, 06:14 pm »
What SRB said and get your tv out of there.  Maybe wall mount a few feet up?   Wall mounts, used or new, for old crt tv's are cheap now. 

I have a set of $25 Auralex foam pads that I put under my computer speakers which are about the same size, they have angled pieces too.  Might be a simple & inexpensive solution, plus you can move them forward for listening & back toward the wall out of the way when not in use. 

Same rent since the 80's?   That's criminal & un-american    :lol:   

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2012, 06:27 pm »
Same rent for 30 years?  Hell, you should have saved enough money to pay CASH for a new house!   :thumb:

Oh, wait, you're an audiophile.  Never mind!  :duh: :lol:

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2012, 08:16 pm »
Same rent for 30 years?  Hell, you should have saved enough money to pay CASH for a new house!   :thumb:

Not quite enough cash to buy a complete house but I do have a healthy down payment.

What SRB said and get your tv out of there.  Maybe wall mount a few feet up?   Wall mounts, used or new, for old crt tv's are cheap now. 

I have a set of $25 Auralex foam pads that I put under my computer speakers which are about the same size, they have angled pieces too.  Might be a simple & inexpensive solution, plus you can move them forward for listening & back toward the wall out of the way when not in use.   

Even moving the TV into the garage wouldn't help this stereo. One advantage of a wall of sound is that it sounds the same everywhere in the room.

$25 for foam pads? For these speakers? That's almost 3 six packs of micro-brews. Obviously you have never spent a summer in Tucson, it's all about priorities.

Wayne

gooberdude

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2012, 09:08 pm »
Hmmm..  one night of good libations vs 24/7 decent sound.  Is there really a debate here?!!   

And I love Tuscon!  Kinda prefer the AZ desert regions, but you live in a great area, with tremendous local beers & scenery.

Wish I had your dilemma's!

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2012, 09:46 pm »
Hmmm..  one night of good libations vs 24/7 decent sound.  Is there really a debate here?!!   

And I love Tuscon!  Kinda prefer the AZ desert regions, but you live in a great area, with tremendous local beers & scenery.

Wish I had your dilemma's!

"one night of good libations" - now those were the good ol' days, at my age those three six packs last for 3 weeks.

Even though I live in the city I'm out hiking every weekend, the Sunday morning alarm goes off at 4:30 am and we are on top of Mt. Lemmon around 6:30 am. The wildlife is still active and it's cool up there in the conifer forest. Maria's wolf can run free without bothering anyone. Here we are last summer on the Meadow Trail:

Wayne

werd

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2012, 10:28 pm »
Nothing better then to get back into trenches in hifi Its like a reality check. At least yo got something.

fredgarvin

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2012, 10:36 pm »
I predict the $89 Dayton Tripath running those $49 Pioneer speakers everyone has on sale would sound better. Or maybe just the Tripath pushing the JBL's, if they are at least 6ohm.

Nice dog!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:35 am »
I wouldn't even own those JBL's and I love JBL's.....get some HSU Bookshelves or try Fredgarvin's suggestion.
That model JBL will never sound good until you hear it hit the bottom of a dumpster. New speakers first then see whats up....Nice Wolf!!

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2012, 01:15 am »
This is all somewhat liberating, you guys should try it.

Box up a fantastic stereo and listen to one that sounds like crap? You crazy!!!  :o

rick240

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2012, 06:13 pm »
See if Jim has any WOW1s available for immediate delivery  :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2012, 07:12 pm »
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions guys but nothing has to be fixed. I know that concept won't make any sense here but I have been released from audio nervosa and my upgradeitus has been cured. I'm only staying at this house for 3 months then my audio obsession can start all over again.

Wayne

Donald

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2012, 08:29 pm »
Find yourself a pair of old Dynaco A-25's (rubber surrounds) at a yard sale for practically peanuts and take the sound up a few notches. :o With over 600K sold, they are easily found.

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:49 pm »
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions guys but nothing has to be fixed. I know that concept won't make any sense here but I have been released from audio nervosa and my upgradeitus has been cured. I'm only staying at this house for 3 months then my audio obsession can start all over again.

Wayne

The silver lining is that when you do get your Salk's hooked up again it'll be like rediscovering them all over.  Moving from your temp system to the main rig with transport you back to the first day you heard them, and that will make for a great day.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:17 pm »
I think if you move the JBL2500s to the very front of the cadenza, you could improve your sound by ~ 6.3%.

Good luck in house hunting.  You have one of the coolest pairs of HT2-TLs ever produced, so I know you will enjoy introducing them to their new digs.

Steve

I'm sure the Salk folks flinched when they saw a thread in their forum start off with "My System Sounds Like Crap", esp. when it has nothing to do with their equipment..

I think srb is onto something. Put those buggers a bit forward, or on a stack of books (Dormitory Speaker Stands), or both. If they are going to stay where they are, get a couple bath towels, set the spkrs on them and cover the ends of the cabinet with them too, that will reduce the inevitable reflections and other effects.

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:25 pm »
Find yourself a pair of old Dynaco A-25's (rubber surrounds) at a yard sale for practically peanuts and take the sound up a few notches. :o With over 600K sold, they are easily found.

.............Or a pair of A-10s. Much smaller with same tweeter.

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2012, 07:24 pm »
...Or a pair of the smaller Polk Rti series speakers. Readily available at very low cost.

A-10's are a good suggestion but may be hard to find; Dyna probably sold 20 A-25 series pairs for every A-10 set.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jul 2012, 08:27 pm »
I'm sure the Salk folks flinched when they saw a thread in their forum start off with "My System Sounds Like Crap", esp. when it has nothing to do with their equipment..

In my humble opinion a lot of speakers sound pretty bad compared to Salk speakers.

I would have written a longer, detailed review comparing my current system to the HT2-TL's but "crap" pretty much says it all. The print and online reviewers should be so bold.

Wayne

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jul 2012, 09:33 pm »
LOVE TUCSON.

I live in the Northwest and wouldn't trade it for the world, but Tucson is fine livin'