So overwhelmed with where to start...

Cytosol

So overwhelmed with where to start...
« on: 3 Jul 2012, 07:54 pm »
Hey all. I have gotten into listening to Trance (mostly the stuff on A State of Trance) for the last couple years, and I think I have a pretty good ear and have some really good ideas for some songs.. In short, I want to get my feet wet and learn how to produce some of this music. I have no dreams of granduer, but think it would be a really cool hobby, and a great outlet for an extremely creative person such as myself who sucks at art!

I am a bit overwhelmed at where I should begin. I have almost no musical theory knowledge, don't know how to play a keyboard, don't know how any of the SW works, or any of the basics of loops and tracks and so on. Suffice it to say, I like the music, but don't know ANYTHING.

I own a PCR-500 (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=864) which has been in the box for quite a while.. Now that I have sufficient time and motivation to learn, I would like to know where to begin so that I can get the maximum bang for my buck in terms of time.

What should I start with? Should I go buy a book on how to play piano to start? Are there any interactive programs I can get that will teach me? Or should I jump right into learning some of the production tools? Do I need more equipment? Should I sell the PCR and get something simpler?

If some sort of newbie guide exists to help a person in my position, I would really appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks kindly for any advice or direction you could share with a newbie!

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: So overwhelmed with where to start...
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2012, 01:21 pm »
My advice would be to call someone like Sweetwater music or another online music dealer and ask about a nice basic starter DAW(Digital Audio Workstation) that they might suggest. You knows the keys so you can make music, its time to learn the software which is a big learning curve so get a basic one as they all work generally the same I think Good luck, have fun.