Super V with Frankenstein

MichaelHiFi

Super V with Frankenstein
« on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:00 pm »
I can't think of a better sounding combination in any system. We've forgotten about room treatments. Don't need no stinkin room treatments.

The amps hum. They produce prodigious amounts of heat. Perfect for winter, sucks for summer. Bias is set via 12 pots. They're big. There's a giant variac with a large knob that needs to be turned up and down slowly. It has a noticeable hum too. It's also warm. There are 5 associated power cords. They are dangerous. When you power them up, you are reminded of the movie Frankenstein as you hear and feel the voltage increasing. We have the optional kite and are lucky the variac is close to the window. There's another knob that adjusts feedback. The RCA jacks will not receive the interconnects as they simply float with the cables. Contact is minimal and noisy as hell. The hardwired power cords are a little less quality than our toasters power cord.

I'm not selling them. You can't have them.  :nono:

Danny Richie

Re: Super V with Frankenstein
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:06 pm »
Sounds like Frankenstein could use a few upgrades.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:18 pm »
I know how you feel. :)
Perfect for winter, sucks for summer.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:42 pm »
Just remember to wear heavy rubber gloves when you turn frankenstein on/off.  :green:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2012, 05:10 pm »
If you were with me in Orlando, FL the week before last you could have charged Frankie enough to last a lifetime with the thunder storms I was stuck in.  I still don't understand what the Variac does?  That must be from the film "Reanimator"?   

I don't want to buy them.  Just a glass of red please!

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2012, 06:43 pm »
That's great to her, Michael. Make a few minor upgrades, then hold onto them for dear life. How often do you find an audio component that blows you away, in spite of its apparent faults?