Tube DAC or Tube CD Player suggestions...???

StereoNut

Tube DAC or Tube CD Player suggestions...???
« on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:57 pm »
I've been auditioning amp & pre-amp combo's in my system as I get loaner gear to listen to.  (FYI - I am running classic Naim electronics right now.)  Without going into all of the details, a few buddies came over with gear to swap in/out my system this past weekend.  The results (for me anyway) is that I'd love it if I could keep the detail, P.R.A.T. and an extended top/bottom end of my Naim electronics and combine it with the beautiful mids and natural decay of the (borrowed) Rogue tube gear. 

That would be my ticket to Audio Nirvana!!! :eyebrows:  I'm sure I'm not alone in those thoughts, but getting there is easier said than done. (Especially on a limited $$$ budget.)

Unfortunately (considering my CD player went up in flames on this past Sunday!!!  :evil: Grrrr!!!) I'm thinking that a new digital front end may be more of a priority right now.  With that being said, maybe the best thing for me to do now is find a nice sounding tube CD player... or use my "B Team" cheapie Cambridge D500 SE player (that I used as a replacement Sunday) as a (temporary?) transport and buy a real nice Tube DAC instead? 

The only real requirements/restrictions would be that whatever I buy has the capability of being used in a computer front end some day in the future and I stay as close to a $1500.00 budget as possible.

If I am extremely lucky, I'll be able to "kill two birds with one stone" this way.  Replace my digital front end and add some of that beautiful tube warmth and weight to my Naim stuff which sounds a bit lean in comparison to all tube electronics. :thumb:

One can only hope! :dance:

Thanks!
SN

JakeJ

Re: Tube DAC or Tube CD Player suggestions...???
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2012, 02:46 pm »
I don't have any specific recommendations at the moment but would suggest you get a tube DAC with USB (or SS DAC & tube buffer but that adds more mechanical connections) and a simple inexpensive disc spinner with a SPDIF and/or AES/EBU (balanced) output.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2012, 11:17 pm »
EvaAnna Manley has got one in the works which might be worth waiting for and the price will be "reasonable".
That's what little I know about it.

pjnad

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2012, 01:46 am »
My system is a combination of tube/ss equipment...I just recently changed a bel canto dac2 (ss) for the eastern electric minimax dac plus, with wonderful results. My transport is ss. The ee dac can be run in either tube or ss mode and it is as simple as pushing a button to switch modes. And it is in your budget, I bought mine used. The choice of tube ( it only uses one) makes a huge sonic difference; I have, like many other users landed on the Psvane tube.
There is much good info available on this site...just do a search.

Paul

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2012, 02:03 am »
http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-CD-327A-Tube-CD-Player.html

I find the Grant Fidelity CD 327 A simply breath taking when fed from my Tube buffered IceBlocks and Audio  by VanAlstine tubed output Hybrid Ultravalve DAC into Vandersteens. Invested in some NOS high end tubes and am liking the analog timbre of my system.

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2012, 02:06 am »
I have the Oppo BDP 95 with the Modwright (tube) upgrade, and it is stellar.  I would put it up against just about ANY digital source, regardless of price.  (IMHO)

StereoNut

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2012, 03:03 am »
Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the ideas here.  Keep 'em coming!  :thumb:

Ern Dog

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2012, 03:16 am »
Another vote for the Modwright tube cd player.  I have the Oppo 83 and it sounds sublime.