• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Amp for 3.7's
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jul 2012, 12:07 am »
 :lol:

creilly333

« Reply #41 on: 24 Jul 2012, 05:22 am »
Ya know, you're looking a little green around the gills.
Maybe you should take Friday off to rebound - a three day weekend might be just what the doctor ordered.

You know Steve you're right.  Now that you mention it I haven't been feeling myself recently.  Maybe I will take Friday off :-)

Colin

creilly333

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jul 2012, 06:51 pm »
Well I didn't take Friday off but the dealer did bring the 3.7s last night and set them up.  He was done in under an hour, including playing a couple of test tracks, leaving me to take them all in.

My little Naim amp is doing an admirable job of driving them so far but as soon as I get the opportunity I will be swapping it for something else.  They're definitely tight, but right out of the box they sounded awesome.  Right now I have them about 5 feet out from the rear wall and around 4 feet from each side wall.  My room is 17.5 feet wide x 30 feet long by 9 feet high.  The speakers are firing down the long wall and I am sitting about 10 feet from them.

No doubt I will play around with placement but I want to break them in a little before deciding on a permanent position.  I also have the resistor on the tweeters but not on the midrange and I have the tweeters inboard.  I can't wait to get out of work tonight and spend some time listening to them, and all day tomorrow.  I'm really looking forward to this!

Colin

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #43 on: 27 Jul 2012, 09:04 pm »
Bet you yank that resistor out pretty soon.
Congratulations on your purchase and I'll leave you to the break-in.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #44 on: 27 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm »
Congradulations on your new speakers finaly arriving.  I have owned magnapans for years.  The wait was worth it I'm sure.  I have recently stepped out of the chain of buying planars and I'm now listening to some line source speakers.  I'm currently powering the line source LS-6 designed by GR Research and built by the now defunct AV123 with an amp from the Digital Amplifier Company, the Cherry.  It has all the power and drive you will need for a great tight bottom end and as many have described the mids and highs sound very SET like.  I highly reccommend you give this amp a listen.  They are one of the circles here at AC. 

This amp in my opinion would be a game changer for planar owners.  Power and finnese.

creilly333

« Reply #45 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:10 pm »
Yes, the break in.  I didn't get too much time with them over the weekend but I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent sitting in front of them, much to my upstairs neighbors chagrin I'm sure.  Our musical tastes are somewhat different, he is around 30 and I am in my 50's.  I've moved them further apart, so there is one third of the room width between them.  That improved things with regard to imaging.

The sound is hit or miss right now.  Some times they sound awesome and then if I go back to them later they sound flat, with less focus being the main thing that I notice, so I figure this is just part of the break in process. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how they improve as the break in process continues.

Colin

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #46 on: 30 Jul 2012, 11:59 pm »
A little bass-heavy music might help speed things along.
If you're really lucky you'll be sitting there when the sound suddenly changes.

tberd

« Reply #47 on: 5 Aug 2012, 10:38 pm »
 I had a demo of the Cherry from DAC. Very sterile sounding. No soul at all to the music. Typical class D amplification is all it was. Back it went to DAC.

The Boulder is up at the top, of solid state amps that is. A typical guy would be happy with it, till he heard his Maggies through all tubes. Then the Boulder would be up for sale.

The ARC 60 is a darn fine amp. It will power any Magneplanar model to more than loud levels. Add a sub and you'll get the cops called on you if you live in an apartment. Ask my buddy John about it.  :lol:

You can always tell who the serious listeners are. Usually they run ALL tube gear. Everytime I deviated from tubes the sound quality suffered. Then you got the 1000 watt club on here  :duh:. The ones that think a 501 watt amp "sounds" better than a 500 watt amp does.  :nono: And suggest someone purchase a 1000 watt amp or your speakers won't sound good.....  :roll:

I agree with SteveFord. That resistor should be history in short order. And lets not even get into those "lovely" fuse holders.... LOL!!!

tberd