Pre-Purchase Questions

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Pre-Purchase Questions
« Reply #40 on: 1 Aug 2012, 01:28 am »
Hi James

Perhaps you could ask one of your engineering guys to give us a short tutorial as I think their response would be of interest to many here.

On the SP-3, no disrespect but I own the Theta Casablanca III HD with Xtreme DACs. It's the player I am trying to sort out.  Bryston was one of the first power amps I ever owned, a 3B purchased in New Zealand.  Alas, I've not looked at the brand since until I heard about the BDP-1.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

I was not trying to sell you and SP-3 I was just thinking that a scaled down version of the SP-3 might be a product moving forward for customers like yourself that want multi-channel sound and HDMI inputs.

james

SGK

« Reply #41 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:28 pm »
Got it.  I'm more thinking about an ever-so-slightly expanded BDP-1  ;-)

I'm keen to hear some input from your technical guys on the questions above.  I really do want to understand a lot more about the division of labour between player and processor with respect to media files.

Also, what is the issue with ALAC? The reason why this is a focus for me is because I do have a Mac (in fact, I have several), an iPad and an iPhone.  I don't want to have to rip my audio collection twice. Ripping to ALAC allows me to have one "master ripped file" which I can copy to iTunes and to the media drive for a device such as the BDP-1. iTunes has the fantastic ability to then automatically transfer lower res (say 320kbps) versions of the master files to portable devices. Yes, one could rip everything to ALAC and then convert the whole lot to FLAC but that sounds like a pain to manage.  I wouldn't have thought ALAC so difficult to support given it is open to all.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #42 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:36 pm »
Got it.  I'm more thinking about an ever-so-slightly expanded BDP-1  ;-)

I'm keen to hear some input from your technical guys on the questions above.  I really do want to understand a lot more about the division of labour between player and processor with respect to media files.

Also, what is the issue with ALAC? The reason why this is a focus for me is because I do have a Mac (in fact, I have several), an iPad and an iPhone.  I don't want to have to rip my audio collection twice. Ripping to ALAC allows me to have one "master ripped file" which I can copy to iTunes and to the media drive for a device such as the BDP-1. iTunes has the fantastic ability to then automatically transfer lower res (say 320kbps) versions of the master files to portable devices. Yes, one could rip everything to ALAC and then convert the whole lot to FLAC but that sounds like a pain to manage.  I wouldn't have thought ALAC so difficult to support given it is open to all.

Hi,

I know some customers have had issues with ALAC loading times with very large libraries but there is no problem with the BDP-1 playing them once loaded.

james