Why do I like the miniwatt N3 more than the Yaqin 10L + what can I do about it?

Thinker1920

I was just reading about a bunch of ppl with yaqin mc 10l's seem to really like 6P3S-E's any thoughts?

roscoeiii

Suggestion: get a speaker better suited to the MiniWatt. Unless you feel there is something special about those Polks. It seems that it is something about the MiniWatt SET sound you love. Getting that sound from a more powerful amp wll be expensive. Hell, getting that sound from another amp of similar power  at that price will be damn tough.

There are reasonably priced speakers, incl DIY options, that will work great with the MiniWatt.

Rclark

Ericus Rex

I was just reading about a bunch of ppl with yaqin mc 10l's seem to really like 6P3S-E's any thoughts?

The 6P3S is basically a russian 6L6.  They are pretty decent sounding and really cheap!

Where do you live?  Maybe someone nearby you can lend you some tubes to roll before buying.

Poultrygeist

A significant advantage for the N3 and other single ended tube amps is they do not employ negative feedback while push pulls like the Yaqin do.

I've spend many hours with tube amps of all descriptions yet none I've heard can resolve detail at low levels like the single ended triodes. 

The key to getting the best from your N3 is having efficient speakers. 93 dbs and above will work well with the MW. HE full rangers like these below paired with the original MW will always be recommended.

Poultrygeist

Here is a rear view of the open baffle folding wing Betsy that is an inexpensive choice for the N3. The rear firing super tweeter is not required.

Thinker1920

Hmmmm..... heres the problem I have, the polk LSi 15's that I got for $570 and they were in mint condition with boxes and everything they had new, no way the miniwatts going to be able to power them and I kinda would hate to get rid of them considering I doubt I would ever find them again at that price :( so if I get rid of the yaqin and just get better speakers for the miniwatt I can't see a good reason to keep the LSi's :(

I guess I could see if someone would trade me a pair of more efficient speakers for them? This is why I was hoping to get a better sound out of the yaqin so I wouldn't have to ditch the LSi's :P and just keep the miniwatt and save up and get betsy's for the miniwatt. I guess I could see what I could get for the yaqin and the LSi's together? ....... Side note I have russian tubes in the miniwatt but, one person told me they think that russian tubes aren't the best (not exactly what they said :P) so I was wondering if I would get a marked improvement with a different tube and is there any out there that wont break the bank?

Thanks again everyone :)

Thinker1920

Binghamton, ny

roscoeiii

Hmmmm..... heres the problem I have, the polk LSi 15's that I got for $570 and they were in mint condition with boxes and everything they had new, no way the miniwatts going to be able to power them and I kinda would hate to get rid of them considering I doubt I would ever find them again at that price :( so if I get rid of the yaqin and just get better speakers for the miniwatt I can't see a good reason to keep the LSi's :(

I guess I could see if someone would trade me a pair of more efficient speakers for them? This is why I was hoping to get a better sound out of the yaqin so I wouldn't have to ditch the LSi's :P and just keep the miniwatt and save up and get betsy's for the miniwatt. I guess I could see what I could get for the yaqin and the LSi's together?

But do you like the LSi's or not? Or maybe I should ask how much you like your speakers relative to your MiniWatt. Because you may not get a deal that good again on a speaker doesn't seem like a great reason to keep the speakers. Rather, how much you like the speakers' sound relative to the MiniWatt's sound should be the criteria. Trust me, other great speaker deals will come along.

I just don't recall you saying anything in this thread about really liking these speakers...

Thinker1920

you're right I didn't mention them much b/c I was focusing on trying to figure the amps out. I like them very much, I'm not great with audio terms but I think the term would be even? they go from very tight bass right up to a very pleasant treble, the whole way seeming very natural, I listened to an old pair of monitor 10's and they had this weird hump in the treble that you couodn't get away from, these besides being much newer and a more expensive speaker don't have any humps like that. Though I do have some monitor 70's that I'm very fond of they just don't have the bass that the LSi's have.

I guess what I think is that I'm just being fearful, that I'm worried if I part with them I'll end up with something not as good but, I don't think there's much way around that risk considering I don't have the money to buy something first and try it before selling/trading the speakers/amp combo. :P I want my cake and to be able to eat it too! :P

roscoeiii

Some manufacturer direct speakers have a 30 day trial period (the efficient Tekton and Zu would be good bets for a MiniWatt), as do online retailers like Music Direct or Audio Asylum.

Yeah, you might lose the cost of shipping (and sometimes a restock fee) but may be a good way to go.

Ericus Rex

I'd post a new thread with the title 'Anybody in NY got some 6L6s I can try in my amp?' and describe your situation in the body.  There are lots of nice people on this thread who would be willing to lend you some tubes to try out and see if they make a difference.

Having no experience with that particular amp I'm reluctant to recommend any new tubes and risk you getting more in debt with possibly worse sound.

roscoeiii

Binghamton, ny

Don't know if it is easy for you to get to the NYC area or not, but a large number of ACers are in that vicinity (and they have some great get-togethers to listen to some stunning systems). But you might also want to post something about wanting to listen to some cheaper efficient speakers that would pair with a MiniWatt (heck it is easy enough to transport a MiniWatt to audition speakers that interest you). And with the number of people in the greater NYC metropolitan area, I imagine that with patience you will be able to find a good deal on great speakers that fit your budget and then could save on shipping (which really adds to the cost of speakers).

wushuliu

you're right I didn't mention them much b/c I was focusing on trying to figure the amps out. I like them very much, I'm not great with audio terms but I think the term would be even? they go from very tight bass right up to a very pleasant treble, the whole way seeming very natural, I listened to an old pair of monitor 10's and they had this weird hump in the treble that you couodn't get away from, these besides being much newer and a more expensive speaker don't have any humps like that. Though I do have some monitor 70's that I'm very fond of they just don't have the bass that the LSi's have.

I guess what I think is that I'm just being fearful, that I'm worried if I part with them I'll end up with something not as good but, I don't think there's much way around that risk considering I don't have the money to buy something first and try it before selling/trading the speakers/amp combo. :P I want my cake and to be able to eat it too! :P

The LSi 15 are nominal 4 ohm speakers with 88db sensitivity so a SET amp is out of the question for those and you need I'd say 50w minimum. They seem like okay speakers so I can understand your reluctance to ditch them - that was a real good deal you got on them. So... yes tube rolling sounds like a better bet. If you want low end authority I recommend the 6CA7. It's a great rocking tube and inexpensive. However for push-pulls the smaller driver tubes may actually have more effect on overall tonal quality than the larger power tubes. So you've got a lot of tube rolling ahead!

EDIT: Wait, the MC10 takes EL34s doesn't it? Are those the tubes you are using? Actually, yeah what tubes ARE you using in the MC10 currently?

Poultrygeist

Here's a picture of the versatile Miniwatt driving some 93 db Tang Band OB tops over OB H-frames. The Betsys are in the background.

Thinker1920

The Tang Band's look pretty cool! what do you think about the betsys?

(the tubes are 6n1p-ev military surplus russian and new JJ el 34's)

I was looking at some cyro treated 6p3s-E's for $60, I don't know how they are about links here, since sometimes ppl get mad :P but this is a link to the ones I was looking at http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_80&products_id=293&osCsid=6150851257df7e42d57c4bc19fac850c sorry if I'm not suppose to do that

do you think that the preamp stage would have more of an effect on the bass than the output tubes?

Thinker1920

How are the Betsy's? do they have a good low end? it seems a little strange just to have one speak  :icon_lol: but then it's a little strange just to have 3.5 watts a channel too  :icon_lol: I wish someone nearby had them :P NYC isn't too bad of a trip from here but the traffics usually a nightmare :P

Thinker1920

Poultrygeist do you use a preamp with the miniwatt? and if you do what do you think about it? and which one did you go with?

fredgarvin

Why don't you bi-amp the Polks? The miniwatt could drive the top section, and the Yaqin or another amp the woofer section. I understand the Polks are set up for Bi-amping. No sense in dumping the Polks for another speaker you may not like.

roscoeiii

Why don't you bi-amp the Polks? The miniwatt could drive the top section, and the Yaqin or another amp the woofer section. I understand the Polks are set up for Bi-amping. No sense in dumping the Polks for another speaker you may not like.

Great suggestion if they are bi-ampable, but then a preamp would be needed.