Off to the Chicago headphone gathering: "ChiUniFi"

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Off to the Chicago headphone gathering: "ChiUniFi"
« on: 16 Jun 2012, 01:07 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the things that will be there and trying my HE5LE's with some high end balanced amps.  Of every combo I've tried, my Marantz reference PM11S1 does the best job of driving them....much better than some of my dedicated headphone amps.

Of course...there is a danger is looking at and listening to the really good stuff.  One's wallet can get hurt.
Hibuck...

ajzepp

Re: Off to the Chicago headphone gathering: "ChiUniFi"
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2012, 04:16 pm »
Nice, let us know what cool stuff you see :)

hibuckhobby

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2012, 08:45 pm »
I'll post a more complete report later...let me just say my salivary glands are pumped dry.   :drool:  Two  ray samuels emmilines...one was the dark star.   Cavelli Liquid Fire, Eddie Balanced, LCD-2's and 3's.  Stax...both old and new.  AKG "head speakers"  Decware Torii ,
and more.   Senn. HD 600, 650, 700 & 800.   Several Woo amps, Jade Tailor, Bottlehead S.E.X. and Crack, A-H3000anv. Fostex 900, much more and many great people.  Fang Bien from Hifiman was there and Jude from Head-Fi.  (super nice guy btw.)

Unreal source equipment too:  Burmeister, Boulder and PSAudio Perfect Wave just to name a few.  Azepp...you needed to be there so the T1' s could have represented.
Hibuck....

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2012, 10:35 pm »
Wow, that sounds like it was awesome! Any feedback on the Sennheiser HD700s?

hibuckhobby

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2012, 12:26 am »
I'm on my ipad...so just a quick comment:   Closer to the 650 imo than to the 800. A slightly brighter, more transparent 650 with less midbass hump.  I love the good dynamic phones...but ortho's on a high end amp is (to me) a whole 'nother level.

I.o.W.,  the 700's are very good...just not 1k good.
best,
Hibuck...

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2012, 01:06 am »
Interesting, thanks hibuck! Looking forward to more of your thoughts from the show!  :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:24 am »
hibuck,

Sorry I missed you there, but so glad you posted about this here. I hadn't been on HeadFi lately and didn't realize this was today. Made it for a couple hours and got to listen to the Dragonfly DAC, which a friend is really interested in, as well as some great headphone amps like Skylab's Decware Torii mini. Wow did that sound good.

And hibuck, if you are interested, I have a Little Dot VI balanced headphone amp that works great with HE-5LEs. You are welcome to come by and take a listen anytime.

hibuckhobby

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2012, 12:57 pm »
Thanks!  I may well take you up on that.  I wish I had brought a camera along...but I'm sure there will be more pics posted in the future.  FWIW, there is a thread developing about impressions of the meet over on Head Fi.
Hibuck....

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:18 pm »
hibuck did you see the new Hifiman HM901 portable player?? Any word at all on the price it will be offered at??
If I could get around better I'd get on a plane to one of these I think.......have fun and thanks for posting!!

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:21 pm »
I heard it and it sounded great. But tough to tell what was the player and what was the class A HiFiMan amp. Fang had a killer set-up. He said that the player will be in the $1000 range, maybe a bit under, IIRC.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2012, 05:54 pm »
A quick update on this meet,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/614720/chiunifi-6-meet-impressions-thread

Hibuck, let us know your experience 
Are you one of they guys on the pictures?  :wink:

milford3

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2012, 07:19 pm »
I wish I was there.  I have three credit cards with zero balances.   :cry: :cry: :cry: