US Open 2012!!

stlrman

US Open 2012!!
« on: 14 Jun 2012, 07:01 pm »
Go Tiger!! Tiger looking really good ! Insane putt from long distance on 5th hole has him one back. His swing looks just perfect, and he putting really well !
Look out field , Tiger has got his game back. A great victory last week from four back on Sunday .  I hope every one saw his chip in on the 16th hole last week. It had the most insane level of difficulty and he sank it.heand the fans went wild.
Phil is melting  down at plus 6 . He is cursed at the Open. Only 7 players under par, Olympic course is doing its job, playing difficult.

SoCalWJS

Re: US Open 2012!!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2012, 07:40 pm »
Definitely fun day watching the U.S. Open!

[begin rant mode]

What the heck is NBC LA thinking??!!??

Been watching Golf Channel's coverage mixed in with the "featured group" on Direct TV (Woods et al). Due to the huge delay on 7 (drivable par 4), I switched to the network coverage on NBC LA.

They're showing the LA Kings parade!!!

Just like every other LA station!!!

If I didn't have Direct TV, I would be P!SSED OFF!!!

[end rant]

Hope this has an exciting Sunday finish - no run away front runner.  :(

stlrman

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2012, 08:03 pm »
Micheal Thompson ties a record for first day Opens at Olympic with a 66 at 4 under. Tiger 3 back!
I love Sundays whe 5 or more are in the hunt.
Love The US Open!! :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2012, 08:38 pm »
Yeah this should be a good Open. They showed a graphic earlier of the highest score average to par for the fist six holes since 2000. The highest was Oakmont with a +1.64 Olympic is playing at +2.64 :o.
A tough test for sure  :icon_twisted:.

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2012, 10:48 pm »
Holy sh-t!!!! :o :o !!!! A highschool kid who just finished his junior year is winning the US Open at 2 under  2 birdies and all pars today.
What a story!!!!!!!!! This course is spitting out the great pros, and this kid is so steady. Look for Disney movie to come. Lol...

ptmconsulting

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2012, 12:16 am »
It only takes one hole to kill you on a US Open course. The kid double bogied one and has dropped back. Still, a great effort and something he will always remember, no matter what happens on the weekend.

Tiger is back in the lead and looking like the old Tiger.

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2012, 10:39 pm »
Like the Cali time difference, so I get to watch from 6to10pm here on the East Coast.
Listening to my Vapor Breeze to some cool psychedelic folk, while watching the great US Open.  Wow does it get any better ? Answer, is yes!! Tomorrow I get to cuddle with my five year old daughter and watch the final hours!!
Check out Devendra Banhart
They are a super cool band.

stlrman

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2012, 11:33 pm »
3bogeys for Tiger. The first 6 holes playing about 958 shots over par so far.
Yikes... :o

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2012, 11:35 pm »
Everybody is playing pretty sub-optimally.  Makes us feel a little better about our game  :wink:

stlrman

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2012, 12:05 am »
The young high school kid is tied with Tiger at plus 4 and seems to be be playing better. Wow is is playing awesome !!! Hos missed a near birdie last hole and has another good look at one. And he makes it!!!
When Tiger was asked about the young kid , he was so arrogant ,
He only wanted to talk about himself.
Westwood hits a 67 for the days best round of the day.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2012, 03:07 am »
If somebody starts sinking putts look out ! They all had a number of good looks in the last half dozen holes, and few took advantage. As to sub-optimal play, I think it's the physical configuration of the course more than anything. Counter sloped fairways and dry conditions make keeping the ball in the fairway a must to score. Accuracy is obviously at a premium. Going to be an interesting finish, lots of folks in the running imo. Sentimental fave, Ernie, but would be nice to see Furyk motor to the end. At 42 as he noted, the window is probably closing. Go 'old' guys. Don't think you can count out Freddie Jac, Westwood, or G-Mac.  :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:07 am »
Tomorrow's final round should be an interesting one.
I think the player who is the least fatigued will have the best shot at a win. Both Furyk and G-Mac look solid and how about Beau Hossler? His post round interview was incredible and his determination is unyielding. A very confident 17 year old.
Olympic is extremely unforgiving and the USGA should be given an award for the set up. The course is playing exactly as they would like it, where par is a great score. The weather has been picture perfect but imagine what the scores might be like with a 15-20 mph wind.

The best golfers in the world, 54 holes, and only 2 guys in the red?  :o .

It doesn't get any better than this!  :D

mtanielu

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:39 am »
Beau Hossler has performed spectacular under the pressure. :)

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2012, 06:38 pm »
Nobody has mentioned the big story, Tiger running into the (still photo) cameraman as he walked off the 18th green.  I saw it immediately and wondered why no announcer commented, then they showed it in replay after the break, but without much comment.  I replayed it over in slo mo several times and was completely convinced Tiger moved toward the man and ran into him purposely.  He had plenty of room to his left and was walking in that direction, when the cameraman moved aggressively around the policeman to get his shot, Tiger veered to his right in what I view as an attempt to brush him back with his hips and shoulder, and hit his hand on the camera.  I cannot say for sure why this happened, but could speculate he was pissed about his performance and didn't like this lower level professional intruding on his space.  I would surmise hitting his hand was an unintended consequence.  Tiger's smarmy look and short answer about it in the interview immediately afterward tends to support that it was an incident that peeved him is some fashion, whether he provoked it we'll never know, but it sure looked like he took a shot at the guy.  Did anyone else view it this way, or am I off base here?           

stlrman

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2012, 08:56 pm »
I also thought that Tiger took a cheep shot at that photographer. But, it serves him well that he took the brunt of the impact.
Tiger looked pretty horrid yesterday. He drove the ball all over the place, whe he did hit a perfect drive , he then hit his approach shot no where near the stick, and his putting was short to the hole and off by a few inches. He also got a  number of bad breaks.
I also thought he was an ass when he totally dismissed the young amateur's performance, during his press conference.
Some wild fog in there today...

rodge827

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2012, 02:58 am »
  :D Congrats to Webb Simpson 2012 US Open Champion :thumb:

Here is something from "Inside The PGA Tour" featuring Webb and his family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0C0auVXqVE

Chris
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2012, 12:36 pm by rodge827 »

ptmconsulting

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2012, 02:30 pm »
I think I found a themesong that accurately describes this years US Open play

"I've looked at putts from both sides now
The in's and out's and still somehow,
It's putts illusions I recall
I really can't make putts, at all."

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2012, 03:01 pm »
Cute take.  Joni can't sing anymore either, a shame on both counts.

This is the most unsatisfying and boring kind of ending for a major.  Nothing against Simpson who played well and did nothing wrong in his win, but when the leaders just fade away without anyone making a charge at the end leaving a "clubhouse" leader in first, it takes the whole shine off and reduces the glamour of the victory.  Congrats to Web though, he played well enough to win, I just would have liked him to win in a playoff today or to have been in the last groups.

ptmconsulting

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2012, 04:10 pm »
It would have been nice to see a 2 or 3 way playoff today. Too bad Furyk imploded. He really was playing the best of the bunch, until the end. It only takes one bad shot to blow a narrow lead.

What I think is telling is there was nobody under par at the finish. I remember Bethpage, when only Tiger was under par. The players were all complaining that the course was unfair in its toughness. I think they will have to say the same about Congressional last week. Very narrow, seriously sloping fairways setting up the wrong approach shot shape to the pin locations, which were all well guarded, followed by some of the fastest greens I think I've ever seen on tour. Hell, almost everyone was landing in front of the green and rolling it on if they had any hope of holding them and not running off the back into really, really thick rough.

mtanielu

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2012, 04:24 pm »
It was Furyk's for the taking; he deserved it.  That's the nature of golf though!  He didn't come through in crunch time.