Whats My Old Sony Receiver Worth today?

Audiomobile12

Whats My Old Sony Receiver Worth today?
« on: 12 Jun 2012, 11:40 pm »
I purchased this receiver "Brand New" back around 1992 for $995.95... I've always taken
care of it and I have had it stored in it's Original Box since I moved...It's in "Excellent Working"
condition!! Is it worth selling to help fund my new purchases or just
give it to one of my Kids...I'm looking at updating to a separate tuner and amp....

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Whats My Old Sony Receiver Worth today?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2012, 03:47 am »
It could still be used as a HT receiver as it has digital coax and optical inputs, but I assume it doesn't even have dolby digital decoding.  So you could use it with a Blueray or DVD player that has a coax or optical output, but the decoding would be very substandard, albeit it should work in some fashion (e.g. make music and movie sounds from speakers).  I doubt anyone would pay more than $50-75 for it, not a big leap toward new components.  For myself I would give it to the kids or use it as a bedroom or garage system.  Which is what I did with a couple of my old receivers, the GF has one and one is in the bedroom, they work fine for stereo in both locations. 

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2012, 03:57 am »
I was gonna say, the number that popped up for me was like $30.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2012, 04:40 am »
I had a slightly lower model of about the same vintage which I tried to sell on craigslist to no avail. Give to kid seems best option. If it works as good as it looks, it should make a great start to a first system.

almonduck

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2012, 05:54 am »
It has a phono section. That's a great entry piece for getting into vinyl.

squirrel_nut

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2012, 07:17 am »
i have a top-o-line Yamaha thats 5 years newer. i feel i would be lucky to get $50 for it. my daughter wants it in a few years, so straight into the closet it went  :)

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2012, 10:00 am »
I'd Keep it.  I have a big ol Yamaha RXV-2090 on top of my fridge for kitchen duties.
I have another NAD 713 AV receiver in my boys room.  And yes, almonduck, it has a phono section and yes they are spinning it.  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2012, 10:03 am »
That's how 2nd and 3rd systems are created (spoken from experience).  Other stuff has been donated.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2012, 06:33 pm »
I've got a similar situation with my vintage 1975 Marantz 2220B receiver.  I'd rather give to someone who would use it and appreciate it rather than sell it for a few bucks on eBay.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2012, 06:53 pm »
ME FIRST!!!!!!     :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2012, 09:23 pm »
i'll take it  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2012, 11:19 pm »
I'll pick it up or pay shipping!  Hell, I'll send you the packing materials!    :lol: :thumb:

I used to work in a place that sold those models, and reluctantly sold a Marantz tuner of that vintage when I couldn't fix it.   :cry:

Delacroix

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2012, 11:33 pm »
I am clearly not the only one who loves these chunky old receivers. As I type this I am in my outside room listening to an old Sansui I found on Ebay for $50 which sits in the garage and comfortably powers a pair of Polk outside speakers. Even run an iPod through it when I want to listen to tunes. It's no audiophile dream but these old boxes still can pull in a signal and play music without fuss for evenings on the deck with friends and few drinks. If and when it dies I'd buy another -- reminds me of growing up with receivers in the 1970s - all buttons, dials and lights.....those mid-70s Marantz models were great and some go for real money but you can pick up a bargain with receivers easily.....not so good for you if you're trying to sell them though :)

2bigears

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2012, 12:38 am »
 :D  100% money lost.... What's the answer here ????  How can a guy not lose all worth ?? :D

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2012, 01:28 am »
thunderbrick is up with the first best offer, but I would note the 220B is going for well over $100 on eBay, and approaching $200 on a couple.  One of the listings has some specs, which are very interesting: 

Retail Price   299.95, October 1st 1974 Marantz Dealer List
Resale Value   $120.00
Designed in   Sun Valley Caifornia
Manufactured In   Japan
First Year   1974
Last Year   1977
RMS Power Per Channel   20
Damping Factor @ Load Impedance   > 20
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)   0.5%
Power Bandwidth   10 Hz to 50,000 Hz
Intermodulation Distortion (IM)   0.9%

Losing only $180 in value over 35 years is a pretty darn good deal, simple calculation shows cost of ownership would be $5.15 a year.  Quite high on the cheap and cheerful meter.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2012, 02:37 am »
What?  I was offering to take it off your hands for nuttin'!   :lol:

Seriously, letitroll98 is correct.  The vintage Marantz units are bringing decent prices.  I am guessing they are getting snapped up by all the guys who owned them 30-40 years ago and never forgot them.  Kinda like your first car; you'll remember it after all the girlfriends/wives have been forgotten.

Maybe because you can still drive a car............................ :icon_twisted:

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jun 2012, 02:49 am »
I am clearly not the only one who loves these chunky old receivers. As I type this I am in my outside room listening to an old Sansui I found on Ebay for $50 which sits in the garage and comfortably powers a pair of Polk outside speakers. Even run an iPod through it when I want to listen to tunes. It's no audiophile dream but these old boxes still can pull in a signal and play music without fuss for evenings on the deck with friends and few drinks. If and when it dies I'd buy another -- reminds me of growing up with receivers in the 1970s - all buttons, dials and lights.....those mid-70s Marantz models were great and some go for real money but you can pick up a bargain with receivers easily.....not so good for you if you're trying to sell them though :)

Still listening to an oldie but goodie! Pioneer SX-1980, 75 pounds and 270 watts of muscle 8).

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jun 2012, 02:55 am »
My friend wanted me to sell his 5 channel HT system when he moved out of state in a hurry. Yamaha RVX-V1000 - it is 'obsolete' when you look at models that have come out since then. The 5 speakers are decent compared to HT in a box speakers but have plastic enclosures...The thing is, someone would want to audition the system of course - no way I am setting it up with a TV, etc and having Joe Craigslist come to my home to buy an old system for maybe 250, and want to dicker on price.  Now the friend is back in town, and even he doesn't seem interested in getting it back !

Don't even try to sell an old computer :)

Audiomobile12

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2012, 03:01 am »
Well I took the sony out of the box and hooked it up to my VMPS tower II's and man it sounded good!
Guess I'll keep it for myself until I get my upgrades then let the Kids fight for it...LOL!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jun 2012, 03:18 am »
That Marantz was the real thing back in the day.