Amp suggestion

Bigfishhk

Amp suggestion
« on: 12 Jun 2012, 07:02 pm »
Gratefully looking for suggestions for int. amp or separates for my infinity kappa 8.1 speakers ( large slightly ineffecient speakers). essentially amp for a 2nd system, hence low low budget. Max $600. Would love to spend less!
Playback at low to med volume.

Here are some parameters-

1. High power liberates kappa,s , definitely not less than 100w at 8 ohms.. Preferably higher.

2. Integrated amp would be useful, but separates considered. I don,t own a pre amp so budget is for pre as well.

3. Remote control preferred.

4. Tone control preferred..

5. Used or new.

6. Pre out for subwoofer.

7. Assembled rather than DIY.

Many thanks

Tom

srb

Re: Amp suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2012, 08:09 pm »
That's going to be hard to get at your budget of =/< $600.  You actually probably have a better chance of finding a preamp and power amp over an integrated amp with that level of power.  NAD 375BEE integrateds (150W/ch) have sold for ~ $850 - $1000 used.

If I were to buy something right now on Audiogon I would probably go with something like Rotel RC-1070/RB-1070 at ~ $800.  If you're very patient you can probably find some better deals on preamp + power amp combos from Rotel, Parasound, NAD, etc. in the $600 - $700 range, but you will have to act fast because they do sell rather quickly at the lower prices.

Steve

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2012, 08:50 pm »
I often get asked to recommend a good $3 cigar. There ain't no such thing. $600 for an integrated or Pre and amplifier combo ain't going to do it either. A grand maybe, and you'd get a lot more suggestions.

Doc

Bigfishhk

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2012, 08:51 pm »
That's going to be hard to get at your budget of =/< $600.  You actually probably have a better chance of finding a preamp and power amp over an integrated amp with that level of power.  NAD 375BEE integrateds (150W/ch) have sold for ~ $850 - $1000 used.

If I were to buy something right now on Audiogon I would probably go with something like Rotel RC-1070/RB-1070 at ~ $800.  If you're very patient you can probably find some better deals on preamp + power amp combos from Rotel, Parasound, NAD, etc. in the $600 - $700 range, but you will have to act fast because they do sell rather quickly at the lower prices.

Steve

Steve
Do you know if the NAD C375 bee is similar to c372, an older NAD int/ 150w? I had one and it doesn't have synergy with the Kappa's, esp the bass. I gather the 'bee' models are better though.
I hear the Anthem 225 is a good integrated with lots power but out my budget.

I will keep my eyes for used Rotel separates.

Curious about the cheaper class D amps also.
Tom
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2012, 02:07 pm by Bigfishhk »

Bigfishhk

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2012, 08:58 pm »
I often get asked to recommend a good $3 cigar. There ain't no such thing. $600 for an integrated or Pre and amplifier combo ain't going to do it either. A grand maybe, and you'd get a lot more suggestions.

Doc

Doc
I thought that the cheap and cheerful section might yield some ideas in my budget range but I may have got it wrong.
Defintely not expecting miracles and extraordinary components.
still...
There seem to be a few threads that mention some really low price product, stuff I had never heard of and some good reviews.
So any specific suggestions close to my  budget I can consider.
Thank you
Tom

srb

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2012, 09:06 pm »
I have not compared the 375BEE with the 372 but most people have reported that they though it sounded a little better.  They thought the bass was more solid and tuneful and that the amplifier had more "soul" (Thanks, Bjørn ?).

Keep in mind that when you look at or compare Class D amps that the manufacturers most often quote the power ratings per channel at 4 ohms and the 8 ohm ratings will be half of that.

Steve

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2012, 09:19 pm »
The remote control and tone controls are the issues for what I'd recommend.

Certain Pioneer receivers are known to test very well and have nice sound quality, that would give you anything you'd want and would come well under your budget.

For low power (~25 wpc), a First Watt F5 clone with Attenuators would be a great solution. For higher powered, a used Aikido preamp with one of many used power amps would also be a good solution.

persisting1

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2012, 10:29 pm »
It's a little more than you wanted, but it looks like it fits your needs. There's a 6moons review on it too. I've never heard this amp.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/qinpu-a-1-0x-integrated-amplifier-new

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2012, 10:55 pm »
It sounds like a receiver is your best option.

simoon

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2012, 11:01 pm »
Would you ever consider used?

You can find high powered amps (Hafler, Adcom, Parasound, etc) for $250-400 on Ebay. And a good variety of preamps. Those great classic Yamaha preamps (C-60, C-80, etc)  go for a couple of hundred all the time.

There's quite a few of these up on eBay right now. I've bought several like items on eBay over the years and have never received anything that wasn't at least as good as described.

There's a Sumo Andromeda on eBay now for $400!

260 Watts x 2 into 8 ohms. I can't imagine any new amp at close to this price being as good as this beast.

Mudjock

• Sehlin Sound Solutions
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2012, 12:28 am »
If you want things like remote and sub out plus a very robust amp section, I would suggest going for a used high end AV preamp (there is a B&K ref 50 on Audiogon for $300 as an example).  They go for pennies on the dollar if they don't have HDMI, or other "latest features" that you don't need for your application.  If it has balanced outputs, you can take the preamp straight into a pro audio amp, like a Crown Drivecore XLS1500, which will have all the power the Kappas crave and be right around your budget.  If your sources are all digital, you could use something like an Emotiva XDA-1 as your preamp/DAC (currently $199 brand new with remote).  That wouldn't get you tone controls or sub out, though.

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2012, 12:50 am »
I don't think there is going to be anything that meets your specs. However if you can live with a receiver check out the Onkyo TX-NR709 AVR. Should be able to get one for $549 at Newegg.

Or an HK3490 receiver for under $450.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2012, 12:58 am »
Would you ever consider used?

You can find high powered amps (Hafler, Adcom, Parasound, etc) for $250-400 on Ebay. And a good variety of preamps. Those great classic Yamaha preamps (C-60, C-80, etc)  go for a couple of hundred all the time.

There's quite a few of these up on eBay right now. I've bought several like items on eBay over the years and have never received anything that wasn't at least as good as described.

There's a Sumo Andromeda on eBay now for $400!

260 Watts x 2 into 8 ohms. I can't imagine any new amp at close to this price being as good as this beast.

Checked the Sumo. Seems like only one channel of this beast is working.  Will look into haflers etc you mention. Trouble i find buying separates is not knowing which amps and pre amps work well together.

timind

• permanent vacation

simoon

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2012, 01:32 am »
Checked the Sumo. Seems like only one channel of this beast is working.  Will look into haflers etc you mention. Trouble i find buying separates is not knowing which amps and pre amps work well together.

Oh, I didn't notice the disclaimer about the functionality of the amp.

But there are still always great deals to be had.

The power of a Hafler DH-500 with the warmth of one of those vintage FET Yamaha preamps is a very good match.

There's a couple of the Haflers and Yamahas on eBay now.

simoon

Bigfishhk

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2012, 02:11 am »
Those are both great pieces.
Thank you. I will look into them. Would they pair well?

Bigfishhk

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2012, 02:13 am »
Oh, I didn't notice the disclaimer about the functionality of the amp.

But there are still always great deals to be had.

The power of a Hafler DH-500 with the warmth of one of those vintage FET Yamaha preamps is a very good match.

There's a couple of the Haflers and Yamahas on eBay now.
Again thank.s, gonna look into them too. I knew I could get some constructive suggestions from this Circle. Most grateful.
Tom

PMAT

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2012, 03:13 am »
I have outright stolen some great amps, receivers etc. watching Craigslist and going to garage sales, here is an example, this guy has been running this ad for three months. He would probably take less.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ele/3003290135.html

Sometimes it takes awhile though.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2012, 03:35 am »
Thank you. I will look into them. Would they pair well?

Yes they would pair very nicely, and in addition to the excellent suggestions so far you could put B&K power amps in there as well, albeit somewhat more rare on the market than Adcom or Rotel et al, IMHO a step above them in SQ.

And in general I think for your price range and power requirements it would have to be used, as noted in many of the former posts.  The exception may be the Chinese clone amps like the Qinpu noted.  Usually they're not so high in the power dept as they seem to prefer building lower wattage tube and hybrids.  I would stay away from any moderately priced receivers with those speakers, they want a lot of beef driving them.

Doc

Thanks for the insight Doc, but as noted this is the Cheap and Cheerful circle.  Might I suggest reading the guidelines before posting, helps avoid these types of embarrassing moments.