Headphone Deals- "I just found this one...."

dB Cooper

Re: Headphone Deals- "I just found this one...."
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jul 2013, 02:03 am »
I'm not surprised Beyer pads fit considering that the headphones in the first link look like reverse engineered exact copies of Beyers right down to the shape of the black plastic caps on the ear cup hinges. The grilles are styled a little different at least. Glad they worked out for you but I tend to be suspicious of this sort of thing.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #21 on: 20 Jul 2013, 12:39 pm »
I'm not surprised Beyer pads fit considering that the headphones in the first link look like reverse engineered exact copies of Beyers right down to the shape of the black plastic caps on the ear cup hinges. The grilles are styled a little different at least. Glad they worked out for you but I tend to be suspicious of this sort of thing.

Actually, the Beyer pads were for the Panasonic HTA600.  They also fit Sony V6, 7506 and others.  The pads cost $22 and the cans were $30.   :lol:
I have a friend who's a professional bassist with an ancient pr of V6.  I gave him the 600 pads.  It took me awhile to figure out which I wanted to keep.  The 600 pads are a little thicker and bass is slightly better.

There was conjecture on Head Fi that Taskar is the OEM for Beyer.  Most doubt that and assert that Beyers are made in Germany.  That's probably right, but similar things are true.  Clearaudio is made in Germany, but their MM cartridges are OEM by Audio Technica with final assembly in Germany.  I'd bet Taskar is OEM for at least a couple of popular models, if not Beyer.

I don't own any Taskar phones and I have no immediate plans to buy any.  I used to use phones almost exclusively for movies and now I sometimes use them for music.  I figure that the cost of a bunch of cheap phones would pay for 1 really good pr.  I'm not sure they're worth it though.  My modded T50s sound better to me than any conventional dynamic driver phones.  Electrostatics are better, but I'm not going there.
neo   

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jul 2013, 01:36 pm »
Beyer says their products are made in Germany, so unless they are flat out lying (which wouldn't be unheard of) then it looks like copycat time to me. I wouldn't want to support that regardless of how good the "deal" was.

neobop, did you mod your T50s yourself or buy them that way? There will be "mad dog" modded T50s shown at Capitol Audiofest this coming week. They are on my "listen list".

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jul 2013, 09:55 pm »
Beyer could source some of the parts elsewhere and still say they're made in Germany.  I think you're right though, the Taskars are copies.  According to many, they did a damn good job.  The 2050 and their Pro 80 each have 53mm drivers.  Is that unique?

I was thinking of getting a Thunderpants kit for my T50.  Those wood cups are so beautiful, but I decided to DIY cause I didn't even know at first if I would like them.   Stock T50 is all midrange with lousy bass and rolled off top.  They also have a break-in in excess of 20 hrs.  It's disappointing when you can't figure out if break-in is done; when you check they still have lousy bass etc.   :duh:

I read through some of the mods on Head Fi and paid particular attention to Thunderpants and that long thread.  All it takes is some modeling clay, a tiny bit of speaker Dacron (Acousta Stuff) and a pr of 840 pads.  I didn't use damping sheets inside the cup.  They'll reduce the volume of the enclosure.  Instead I used clay on the outside to make a ducted port.  There are pictures somewhere around here, probably a page or 2 back.  There's just a couple of things you have to look out for. There's a tiny vent hole on the driver mounting near the top of the driver.  That has to be left open.  If I remember correctly the 840 pads have foam in the middle.  I cut that away for better treble.  The internal 3.5mm jack tends to get loose and lose connection.  Gently squeeze the contacts on top of the plastic housing with a needle nose, and it's easily fixed. 

Fostex says the efficiency is 98dB/mW @ 50 ohms.  It seems like less.  Those cans will take some power.  I get the feeling, if I hook it up to my 50 wpc tube amp, it wouldn't be too much.  They have a relaxed kind of effortless sound.  Really glad I got them.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jul 2013, 12:25 pm »
I've been thinking about the statement I made a couple of posts back:
"My modded T50s sound better to me than any conventional dynamic driver phones."

It's not entirely true.  They're different, like a pair of Magnaplaners vs conventional speakers, they have a different presentation.  But decent conventional phones seem to have superior dynamic capabilities, better hi fi.  This was brought home to me the other night when the output jack on my Fiio E11 broke.  I switched to an old Mitsubishi DA-C20 tuner/preamp w/headphone amp.  The Jaycar Pros trounced the T50, and the DA-C20 usually sounds pretty good.

The E11 is a little underpowered for the T50, but has the right sound for them.  I guess that's why we have multiple sets of phones.  Now if I can only get the bottom off that little Fiio to fix it.  It's got 4 microscopic sized allen screws holding it.  I'll get it.  Those 3.5mm plugs seem okay, but the little jacks are a PIA.
neo