This guy sure sings on a lot of rock records these days...

fredgarvin

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: This guy sure sings on a lot of rock records these days...
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2012, 01:36 am »
 :rotflmao:

ltr317

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2012, 04:49 am »
 :lol: :thumb:

decal

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2012, 08:16 am »
After years of living the rock star lifestyle, CM's voice is shot. :lol:

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2012, 08:44 am »
 oh Cookie Monster is brutal. He's been at it a while : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WaRrh1CpQw&feature=related

\m/ \m/

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2012, 11:58 pm »
yep....he guest stars on many modern metal albums these days....  I think there was a image change somewhere that if you sang, and actually had a good voice you weren't very metal.   f-that.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2012, 01:18 am »

He took over from this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrato

D.D.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2012, 05:59 am »
 I listen to all kinds of metal, even death metal. I get it and I love that isht.

Some of the greatest musicians of our time play in this genre and that's provable. Like the voice, don't like it, that's fine. But all genres of music and all styles of singing are open to mockery.

Even the ones you like. Just ask your kids.

nathanm

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2012, 05:38 pm »
Don't forget the Popeye\Black Metal connection too.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2012, 06:14 pm »
 That's funny because this thread made me bust out my death metal collection, which I hadn't listened to in quite some time. Stuff represents about 1 or 2% of my listening. I sometimes get into the mood for it.

One of my favorites is Bolt Thrower. I love the fictitious songs about orc armies going into battle. Great stuff.

I realized I had plenty of cookie monster but no popeye. I've never bought any black metal. And since I've outgrown the silly religious suppositions forcefed to us, yesterday I went on got my first album. Immortal, Sons of Northern Darkness. It absolutely slays. Very very fast. Melodic. Unlike death metal, there is some grandeur here.

These European guys take this stuff pretty seriously. And it is totally a European phenomenon.

After listening to the full album, to me, these guys are like a modern metal interpretation of classical Wagner.

Here's them playing. The song has a lot of cool changeups. And as far as the makeup, well, they're making music that actually matches what they look like, unlike KISS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUaFD4JFU8c&ob=av3n

These guys play very intricate stuff at warp 9, super fast triplets, while windmilling. Takes TALENT.

Allmusic has this album rated 4 stars, and their latest release at nearly 5 stars, so I'm getting that one too. Actually, most of their albums are rated as highly.

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2012, 12:52 am »
black metal is one genre I haven't warmed up to.  Not really digging that Immortal track.  Not dissing it, just don't find anything I really dig about it either.

Somewhat recently I came upon Agalloch.  I really like these guys.  Their idea of metal is something I can get onboard with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dnu_kI3eII&feature=related

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2012, 12:57 am »
Yeah I was never a fan either. The vocals are the key to entry. That said, The album, Sons of Northern Darkness... is actually very very good. It even came with a concert dvd, and it's hard to imagine just playing that fast, while singing and doing all your black metal gestures. I'm impressed, I dunno. And as music, the album is definitely very Wagnerian, if that's a word, very epic and powerful. I think I might try one more.

Listened to it on my ride today and the riffage does get the blood pumping.

Just sampled the Agalloch. Very mellow.

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2012, 01:06 am »
I'd imagine I might get into it in the car on a road trip.

Agalloch is very atmospheric IMO.  Extremely moody, but very very cool...its got its black metal type vocals, but the music is not hard

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2012, 01:13 am »
Thanks for the heads up!

It's a pity they have to put their whole album up for free like that, a real shame. Artists can't get a break anymore.

A female friend I always had the hots for is now...apparently a soprano in a band that does metal opera  :o. I guess I have a couple tickets waiting for me for their Nov 9 show. And she is smoking hot. I should have gone after her when I had the chance.

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2012, 01:23 am »
Well it gives them some exposure....of course I bought the album(s).   check out minute 25+.....especially ~29th minute, its definitive of their sound.

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2012, 01:25 am »
Ok, I'll check it tonight when I can give it proper listening.

nathanm

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2012, 06:03 pm »
Lay waste to Burl Ives, it will crumble underneat us
Underneat us!

I knew there was a connection!  :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehpCRF3j0co

fredgarvin

« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2012, 07:34 pm »
WARNING! Evil Panda won't eat it's vegetables, SCARES MOM!

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2012, 07:42 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb:

I finally picked up Roger Waters, Amused to Death. Less than $5.00. Time to see what the fuss is about.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 1 Jun 2012, 03:54 am »
Ah, that takes me back to college! :lol:  The first band I ever remember Cooking Monster singing for back in the 80's was Killdozer! 8)