MFW Amp buzzing, help!

skeeter99

MFW Amp buzzing, help!
« on: 18 May 2012, 01:26 am »
I didn't really know where else to put this so I figured this was a good a place as any  :green:

I've got two MFW's with first gen amps that have worked perfectly for probably 3-4 years I'm guessing. I got them brand new A stock. Last night one of them started buzzing. I turned it off and it stopped and it was late so I didn't bother researching the problem. I just got a chance and tried unhooking the RCA and it still buzzed. I then removed it from the power strip it was plugged into and plugged it straight into the wall, still buzzing. Unplugged the RCA while it was directly plugged into the wall, still buzzed. For grins I plugged it into a ground lift plug and straight into the wall, still buzzed and removed the RCA and still a buzz.

Basically I'm assuming I've now got a dead amp correct? It is still producing sound when turned on but there is that constant buzzing. It isn't crazy loud but loud enough where I might turn into a crazy person if I kept it on.

Thoughts? Possibly some bad capacitors that could be replaced?

Thanks!

Scott

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
Re: MFW Amp buzzing, help!
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2012, 01:51 am »
Sounds like my MFW-15!! :D  :duh: :duh:  Currently, I'm using mine (unplugged) as an end table.  One of these days, I think I am going to try a stand alone amp with it.  I'm considering the Dayton SA-1000 but am certainly open to any suggestions or recomendations that anyone has.

sandbagger

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2012, 02:01 am »
Scott

Drop me a PM or email me with your email and I will send you the cap fix directions for the amp, pretty simple if you know what end of a soldering iron to hold onto :lol:

You can pull the amp out and look at the 4 smaller caps next to the 2 BIG caps and see if they are swollen/leaking or have blown clean off the board  :duh: 

Oczka
 Turbo upgrades are getting very close to shipping again with the NEW driver manufacturer, they have the last of the custom parts in house and should be building them soon.

skeeter99

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2012, 02:04 am »
Sounds like my MFW-15!! :D  :duh: :duh:  Currently, I'm using mine (unplugged) as an end table.  One of these days, I think I am going to try a stand alone amp with it.  I'm considering the Dayton SA-1000 but am certainly open to any suggestions or recomendations that anyone has.

Dang that's too bad! I had another person suggest trying a different power cable. Its a long shot but worth a try. I've got a lot sitting around. I wonder if there's someone local I may be able to take it to and get the caps replaced ... Hmm.

Scott

skeeter99

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2012, 02:07 am »
Scott

Drop me a PM or email me with your email and I will send you the cap fix directions for the amp, pretty simple if you know what end of a soldering iron to hold onto :lol:

You can pull the amp out and look at the 4 smaller caps next to the 2 BIG caps and see if they are swollen/leaking or have blown clean off the board  :duh: 

Oczka
 Turbo upgrades are getting very close to shipping again with the NEW driver manufacturer, they have the last of the custom parts in house and should be building them soon.

Oh nice good idea! I just fixed the pcb on my Onkyo 805 after the display went out. Two small caps later and I was up and running again. Definitely something I'd try. Thanks! And the turbo upgrade in the future ... MMM I'll shoot ya a pm.

Scott

doug067

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2012, 02:11 am »
sandbagger has the solution for you. More than likely you need the cap fix. Its cheap and easy. I have 4 fixed them all. Seaton sound forum has multiple discussions on the mfw15. They will be offering driver and amp sounds like before long. They also have the turbo upgrade. I am contemplating going with Gr research sub build here shortly though myself.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2012, 02:15 am »
Agreed. The amp buzzing occurred in my MFW-15 last year. Sandbagger's directions for the $5 cap fix should cure the problem. I did it and haven't had any problems since then.   

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2012, 02:17 am »
I wouldn't mind trying the cap upgrade also.  I'll drop you a pm also.  Thanks

I'm not too competent with a soldering iron, so if that doesn't work, I'll seriously consider MFW upgrade that you have.

doug067

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2012, 02:21 am »
Should give props to murrel here from simply sound audio. Fix is his I believe. He was making replacement amps called the v3 for awhile. He may still be able to help, but you'll have to call. Fix is pretty easy though. Sandbagger is the man though

jaydillyo

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2012, 02:56 am »
Do the cap fix.  Even if something else helps with the buzz you should do the cap fix anyway.  I did the cap fix and it was the first time I ever used a soldering iron.  It took me some time, but I managed.

skeeter99

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2012, 04:16 pm »
Talke to Murrel and got he info for the fix. Gonna tackle it this weekend. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks for the help!

Scott