Looking for Gary Dodd?

Danny Richie

Re: Looking for Gary Dodd?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2012, 01:48 pm »
Another month gone by, any more updates for us Gary?

Thanks,

Steve.

I think you guys are about to get some good news. I'll let Gary tell it.

morganc

« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2012, 02:09 pm »
Sweet :thumb:

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #22 on: 2 Sep 2012, 02:13 am »
WOO HOO I just now finished my first real listen with the new power supply! :green:
I have actually had a working and what looks to be very reliable new power supply.
I have not said anything because it didn't work, well quietly anyway. seems like it had quite a lot of stray rf
energy just floating around causing all kinds of weird stuff to happen. The amps would set there and run all
day long or until you put the screws in the lid. With the lid on it was fine but if I put the screws in , Holy cow
the noises it made! Took me a couple of weeks of changing things and trying different grounding and shielding
and stuff that I do not understand, remember I am not a power supply designer. Anyway I got it working perfectly this afternoon. it has been running silently all evening, nothing but beautiful music!
While I was developing the new supply with help from a knowledgable friend I did everything I could think of to destroy it!
I managed to blow up nothing. :duh: I am pretty confident this will be a very reliable supply.
Now before anyone gets a new supply I have to lay out the board and have some of them made. I have to get the magnetics documented and go and find someone to build me some of those so it is still going to take more time. I just wanted everyone waiting and interested to know the progress and to reassure everyone with a broken power supply a new one for no charge! :thumb:
During this long and drawn out process I have learned tons about SMPS supply design, what to do and what not to do for sure. I am so confident in these new supplies I am going to go ahead with new and larger tube amps on batteries
I hope I get some interest in them.
thanks for being so patient and understanding. a pic of the prototype

gary

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 2 Sep 2012, 02:22 am »
Gary,
Excellent news!  If you need a beta tester for any reason, let me know.  I can box up mine and ship it.

morganc

« Reply #24 on: 2 Sep 2012, 02:38 am »
WOO HOO I just now finished my first real listen with the new power supply! :green:
I have actually had a working and what looks to be very reliable new power supply.
I have not said anything because it didn't work, well quietly anyway. seems like it had quite a lot of stray rf
energy just floating around causing all kinds of weird stuff to happen. The amps would set there and run all
day long or until you put the screws in the lid. With the lid on it was fine but if I put the screws in , Holy cow
the noises it made! Took me a couple of weeks of changing things and trying different grounding and shielding
and stuff that I do not understand, remember I am not a power supply designer. Anyway I got it working perfectly this afternoon. it has been running silently all evening, nothing but beautiful music!
While I was developing the new supply with help from a knowledgable friend I did everything I could think of to destroy it!
I managed to blow up nothing. :duh: I am pretty confident this will be a very reliable supply.
Now before anyone gets a new supply I have to lay out the board and have some of them made. I have to get the magnetics documented and go and find someone to build me some of those so it is still going to take more time. I just wanted everyone waiting and interested to know the progress and to reassure everyone with a broken power supply a new one for no charge! :thumb:
During this long and drawn out process I have learned tons about SMPS supply design, what to do and what not to do for sure. I am so confident in these new supplies I am going to go ahead with new and larger tube amps on batteries
I hope I get some interest in them.
thanks for being so patient and understanding. a pic of the prototype

gary

Congratulations Gary :thumb:  I will wait patiently :).

As for the new amps, What kind of amps are you thinking?   Is a battery powered SET amp possible?

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 2 Sep 2012, 03:07 am »
ABSOLUTELY!!! :thumb: What are you looking for?
Gary

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #26 on: 2 Sep 2012, 03:10 am »
Thanks Gary, I'll send you an email soon about getting a working power supply. It must be a huge relief to have something you're happy with!

Steve.

jcotner

« Reply #27 on: 2 Sep 2012, 04:09 am »
gary

Since I just talked to you a few days ago and I don't see that you had to put a metal shield around the controller, I guess you found a silver bullet for the noise issue. I know how it feels to flounder around on a design problem and them come up with a fix. Just in time for the holiday weekend.  :thumb:

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 2 Sep 2012, 04:28 pm »
Actually i did build a shielded enclosure

It made things worse, much worse! It ended up being grounds.
I rearranged some of them and solved the problem. Good thing is , it is repeatable! :thumb:
Gary

stevenkelby

« Reply #29 on: 23 Sep 2012, 03:43 pm »
Did you get my amp Gary? I sent it express last week :)

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 23 Sep 2012, 03:56 pm »
pm sent
Gary

stevenkelby

« Reply #31 on: 23 Oct 2012, 12:35 pm »
Another month gone by and no updates. Any news Gary?

stevenkelby

« Reply #32 on: 31 Oct 2012, 02:39 pm »
Thanks for the PM update Gary  :thumb:

Hang in there, surely won't be long now :)

stevenkelby

« Reply #33 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:42 pm »
I have the amp back here now and it sounds even better than I recall, thanks Gary :)

Sadly money is an issue at the moment and I have to try and sell it :(

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114916.new#new