The Magnepan and Wisdom Audio Challenge

Pryso

Re: The Magnepan and Wisdom Audio Challenge
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2012, 12:44 am »
Sorry for the delayed reply folks.  :oops:

Yes, I heard both, but it was hardly a conclusive comparison.  :roll:

I heard the Wisdoms early Friday and it was not crowded.  Their demo guy had a preprogrammed playback sequence and I was not familiar with any of the selections.  The sound was very large and spacious, it may have reminded me of Soundlabs more than anything (that's good).  Detail was very good.  Truly a full range system but with a pair of subs that large, why would it not be?  Like many (most?) demos, I thought it was too loud.  I never know if that is done to attract attention or because loud usually allows most systems to "come alive", at least up to the point where something overloads (speakers or room) or clips (amp).  Because of the sound level and musical selections I only listened for a few minutes.

At the Maggie room the door was closed and there were 5-6 people standing around in the hallway.  Someone said the next demo would begin in 5 minutes so I waited.  Once the door opened and the previous group emptied out there was a bit of confusion between those of us who waited and others just happened to walk up at that time.  I think Magnepan should have assigned someone to work the door and help with information and order.

Upon entering, the MMC 2s were folded into their wall position.  Wendell did his introduction and "presto" the speakers opened out into playing position.  Wendell also used a preprogrammed selection of music although his choices suited my taste better than the Wisdom demo.  The soundstage was wall-to-wall as might be expected.  Imaging was quite good, as was the detail.  I though the woofer system blended very well and with the chosen music I didn't miss the lowest octave.  It would have been more instructive if a standard stereo with 1.7 or 3.7 had been available in an adjacent room for direct comparison, but that might have been asking too much.  I could certainly see how they met their objective of hiding the system within the room -- except for that big black center channel.  It clearly became the elephant in the room for me, meaning it defeated everything gained by the wall-mounted L/R and hidden woofers.  Otherwise it could be a satisfying solution for many homes.

But even with the common denominator of magnetic planar design, the respective size and cost of each system meant for me there was no real comparison.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2012, 02:40 am by Pryso »