The Magnepan and Wisdom Audio Challenge

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
The Magnepan and Wisdom Audio Challenge
« on: 12 May 2012, 01:53 am »
This just showed up today which should be interesting.
I'm convinced that Wendell never sleeps.

Dear Press Warrior,

We understand. Show coverage is exhausting. And those long hours writing show reports......................

Magnepan and Wisdom Audio are teaming up to give you something new and interesting.

A pair of motorized MMC 2s and 2 Maggie Woofers retails for $3,600. For your show report, we would like you to compare us to those expensive box speakers down the hall.

Oh, you aren't assigned to cover on-wall speakers at this show? Tell the editor they are "free-standing". The MMC 2s are discreet and tuck away when not in use. And to further liven up your show report, ask a "interior designer" what they think of the MMC 2s.

Magnepan-- Room 221 Atrium

Wisdom Audio-- Hilton Crystal Ballroom A

At Magnepan, we think outside the box (speaker).

We also like to have fun at shows.

JohnR

Re: The Magnepan and Wisdom Audio Challenge
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2012, 01:56 am »
Which show is this?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2012, 02:05 am »
That would be helpful, wouldn't it?
See what lack of sleep can do?

T.H.E Show in Newport Beach, California, June 1-3, 2012

P.S.
Sorry the print in the photo is so difficult to read; perhaps someone can sharpen the image up some?

josh358

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2012, 03:06 am »
You can read the text on the Asylum if you squint a bit:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=mug&m=189725

I confess I didn't even see the ads at the bottom of Wendell's email, if I hadn't seen your post I wouldn't have known to put them up.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2012, 03:40 pm by josh358 »

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2012, 03:44 am »
Unless magnepan is trying to be purchased by Wisdom, this makes no sense at all.  And while I like the on wall magnepans, every woman I know has said "not in my house..."

Magnepan makes a great speaker for the money, but style is not their strong suit.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2012, 09:36 am »
My wife likes the idea of using mine to construct my coffin.
I think that she may be demented.

josh358

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2012, 01:20 pm »
Unless magnepan is trying to be purchased by Wisdom, this makes no sense at all.  And while I like the on wall magnepans, every woman I know has said "not in my house..."

Magnepan makes a great speaker for the money, but style is not their strong suit.

I don't think they're in competition, the Magnepan system goes for $3,700 and the Wisdom for $100,000. And I'm guessing too that Wendell isn't concerned that the MMC-2's will come off poorly in the comparison. I mean, they won't do 130 dB SPL's at the listener's seat and they don't have 100 dB sensitivity, but I don't think that's an issue for most of us. It's a pretty gutsy move, but if the MMC-2's compare favorably, people are going to be impressed.

So I think it's win-win for both companies, they can attract attention and then each gets the customers at its price point.

I didn't know women objected to the on-wall Maggies, though. I would have thought they would have been happier with them than with a couple of monoliths on the floor. I'm not sure what the solution is. Is it really about aesthetics? Because women tolerate all sorts of junk, if it isn't something guys happen to like.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2012, 02:29 pm by josh358 »

TONEPUB

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2012, 02:42 pm »
That's what I get for being too jet lagged.

So, Is Magnepan challenging you to compare them to the Wisdom?

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2012, 03:29 pm »

Don't fight it - just buy a pair of these and keep her happy - http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/704gershman/index.html

josh358

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2012, 03:56 pm »
That's what I get for being too jet lagged.

So, Is Magnepan challenging you to compare them to the Wisdom?

Yes, their ad says ""Hear Magnepan's challenge in Room 221 - a 'free -standing' planar/ribbon speaker with a disappearing act that wants to be compared to those expensive speakers down the hall."

It's a gutsy move, but I don't think Wendell would do this if he thought they'd be embarrassed (or the guys at Wisdom, either).

I think that Magnepan's challenge with the wall mounts has been that everyone typecasts them as home theater speakers. I'm guessing that this is a way to encourage audiophiles and members of the audiophile press to hear them and demonstrate that they're comparable in quality to the floorstanders.

Pryso

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2012, 07:35 pm »
Yes, this was a cooperative effort between the two companies -

http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/WisdomAudio_Magnepan-PR-Final.pdf

While the Maggie set up simulated a potential home environment with their motorized wall units, center channel, and a pair of supplemental woofers, the Wisdoms displayed in a dedicated environment with a large three paneled curtain -  \____/  - hiding all but their tower planars.  Their subs, hidden behind the curtains, were 1.5' x 3' x 5', each with two 15" drivers.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2012, 07:56 pm »
Pryso,
It sounds like you were there.  If so, did you hear them?

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jun 2012, 08:38 pm »
Did anyone hear any of this?

Couldn't get in.  Every time I stopped by, there was a line.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2012, 11:13 pm »

She told me she was going to cremate you.  Or was it out on the compost heap?

Besides, why bury something you've only used once?  Wonder what caskets would bring on the used market?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2012, 11:15 pm »
Don't fight it - just buy a pair of these and keep her happy - http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/704gershman/index.html

Hell, put an old Seagull outboard motor on the bottom and you have a great one-man fishing dory!   :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 3 Jun 2012, 11:34 pm »
It's funny how she really liked the idea of speakers as my coffin but wasn't too amused when I mentioned her cut rate burial at sea: being thrown off a bridge into the river and Kerplunk! problem solved.

So, did anyone manage to get into the Magnepan and Wisdom Audio rooms?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2012, 11:42 pm »
...................but wasn't too amused when I mentioned her cut rate burial at sea: being thrown off a bridge into the river and Kerplunk! problem solved.

You dummy!  It was supposed to be a SURPRISE!    :lol:

ltr317

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2012, 02:12 am »
It's funny how she really liked the idea of speakers as my coffin but wasn't too amused when I mentioned her cut rate burial at sea: being thrown off a bridge into the river and Kerplunk! problem solved.

So, did anyone manage to get into the Magnepan and Wisdom Audio rooms?

Yes.  I've heard many Magnepan models over the years, either at shows or friends' homes and these Wisdom speakers are a step above in sound quality. 

melomaniac

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2012, 11:38 pm »
this magnepan demo was very popular, but I did get in, and the sound was nice - though not as lively as some other maggies I've heard. still, it was a very coherent, very spacious sound, and you all already know that much.

I only wish they had also brought the 1.7 or 3.7 so that more people can be disabused of their misconceptions when they hear with their own ears how good these can be

best sound IMHO this year at THE Show was the Sonorus room (large electrostats with a reel to reel tape source), and maybe the new SONY speakers, surprisingly; and of course the delectable headphones and headphone amps (Eddie Current especially - Stax, Audeze, oh my)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 7 Jun 2012, 07:29 pm »
Here are a few takes on it which Wendell was good enough to send me.
Hope you enjoy.

After decades of audio shows, they all start looking (and sounding) the same. Our brain-storming went something like this---

"This could be fun---Let's demonstrate a "custom" Maggie system in Newport Beach and challenge those mega-buck speakers down the hall. Do you think we can pull it off? Maybe Wisdom Audio would like to team up with us. I'll call Mark Glazier."

"Your sound was truly exceptional -- better than 90% of the systems I heard in Newport." . Email from Marc Mickelson, editor, theaudiobeat.com after the Newport Beach show, (quoted with permission)

It was one of those “Is it live or is it Memorex?” moments. The system easily bested many of the traditional- and significantly more expensive – two-channel setups in other rooms.  Excerpt from ultrahighendreview.com,  Frank Berry

The link below has some photos of our room. Sure, we were teased that our room looked a garden center. Scroll down the page. What would you prefer to see? If the answer is mono blocks and big floor-standing speakers, you don't need this solution. However, I couldn't give my sister a pair of 3.7s. At one time, she had Maggies in her living room. Not any more. She has MMC 2s and a Maggie bass panel.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/

And this is from me:
I see that some people here had some problems getting into the Magnepan room (they couldn't, it was always full or the door was closed for whatever reason) and they felt that people were rude to them.
I wasn't there but I'd imagine it is a very hectic, draining several days for the vendors who are trying to do the impossible which is make everyone happy all at the same time.
Hey, I've got a fun idea: I've already got 3.7s so try giving ME a pair of 20.7s and see if I go with a pair of MMC 2s and a DMW!