Some tuner advice, please

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Some tuner advice, please
« Reply #40 on: 17 May 2012, 07:11 am »
I doubt it. It sounds great already, and there is no need to spend untold amounts of money (and time) to attempt to improve on something that is in working order.
i "doubted" my fantastic sounding rotel rht-10 could sound better too....  8)  the "untold amounts of money" i spent on it, ($250), were well worth it.  (actually, i didn't really doubt it would be worthwhile, i have had other tunas refurb'd modded w/positive results, and i have read about others' results of refurb'ing/modding this specific tuna.  i yust didn't expect it to turn out as well as it did - especially the markedly improved reception.)

have you ever tried getting a tuna that you think is "in working order" refurb'd and/or modded?  if you have, i would be interested in your thoughts...

if you (or anyone) has ever listened to a perfectly functioning kenwood kt7500 - which is one of the blandest, most mediocre sounding tunas around, and compared it to one that has been modded - which is one of the best sounding tunas around, you would know that it's not a waste of money to refurb & upgrade a tuna "in working order".

Mike certainly is not a hack. He has brains and knows what ventures are worth while, and which ones aren't.

Here is Mikes website: http://audiocraftsman.com/
did i ever say mike is a hack?  in fact i said "mike is a great tech".  but, since he believes cap replacement/mods/etc are worthless, i don't trust his ears; which is why i would rather send my tunas off to others for work.

ymmv,

doug s.

Opus Flatus

« Reply #41 on: 17 May 2012, 12:55 pm »
Doug S I think you are taking Wayner's remarks a little to personally. He stating why mod something if it sounds good already. Nothing wrong with that. His tuner probably meets original specs and is in decent alignment. TIC has driven up prices on vintage tuners sometimes to ridiculous levels. FM commercial programing is generally in many markets terrible. It's hard to justify spending hundreds on a vintage tuner that in most cases needs some work unless you stumble across a local deal or are a DIYer. Some guys get lucky and pick up or still own a well cared for vintage tuner.

I appreciate your posts on tuners and read them often. For the record I have a few modded tuners, a TU 717 (Joe Chow) and a KT 7500 (AVSL). By far Joe Chow did an excellent job on my Sansui. I use it upstate with a simple cubic quad and reception, clarity, and sig to noise is outstanding. I got the basic tune which at the time was $375 not including shipping. For me it was worth it but I can see where for others it wouldn't be. All in I have about $500 dollars into it.

The KT 7500 was in bad need of an alignment and a channel was dropping out. So it performed and sounded bad when I purchased it. I had AVSL work on it right before I shoved off for my last deployment. I spent about $200 and the results are mixed. AVSL didn't do a thorough alignment. Chuck Rippel must have been on vacation. Reception is spotty in NYC (rabbit ear antenna doesn't help). But when I do get a good signal it sounds great. I'll DIY mods in the future and send out for an alignment only - more bang for my buck.

Getting good sound out of a tuner is very satisfying for me. Especially when it sounds nearly as good a digital or analogue source component.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #42 on: 17 May 2012, 09:15 pm »
Some folks around here are very knowledgeable and vocal, some are very knowledgeable and not vocal, and some are just vocal. Some have been inside a dozens of tuners, some one or two, and some...

So I'll state up front, I've never been inside a tuner, but I have been inside hundreds of speakers and several phono preamps.  In both, changing caps is an established way to change (improve) sound, although there will always be some that will still deny it- saying that a cap is a cap.  I'd be stunned if the same wasn't true in tuners, and that changing old caps wouldn't yield a marked improvement.
Also, electrolytic caps dry out and change values over time.  I wouldn't think of getting a vintage piece without at least considering recapping.  The "don't fix it 'til it's broke" philosophy is not consistent with getting the best sound (if that is your goal), and in the case of very old electrolytic caps, waiting for failure not be the cheapest option either.

So, I must disagree with Wayner on this one (even though I would seek his opinion on turntables/cartridges).  Especially if I were to buy and older unit, say a tube Sherwood, I would want it gone through by someone that I trusted.

jerryleefish

« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2012, 08:44 am »
I've been playing with a Day Sequerra Reference for some time and have nothing but problems. While its reviews were glowing there were none of the flaws mentioned. The biggest piece of stupidity was the scope filament on in in the standby mode.Instant on is great for SS but doesn't work for tubes. This of course leads to premature burn out  . A separate on/off switch in the filiment circuit would have prevented it. A new scope goes for$400. Dick Sequerra was long gone when this unit came out otherwise his legendary reputation would have been tarnished. The other problem is frequent stereo drop out reverting to mono. A bit perturbing when taping an opera. While an alignment might cure this there is no guarantee and it might be a design flaw.
The DS gets kudos for it sound and they are justified. For big bucks it is a justification.

frank111

« Reply #44 on: 23 May 2012, 03:19 pm »
Minn Mark,   I went the audioclassics.com route for my McIntosh preamp/tuner . It was gone thru by a tech there, & works perfectly. I chose a B1 graded component free of blemishes/scratches too.
Wayner,  That tuner of yours is SWEEEEET !

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #45 on: 16 Jun 2012, 05:05 pm »
Doug S I think you are taking Wayner's remarks a little to personally. He stating why mod something if it sounds good already. Nothing wrong with that. His tuner probably meets original specs and is in decent alignment...
flatus, i am not taking anyone's remarks personally.  however, i'd wager dollars to donuts that wayner's, (or anyone else's wintage tuna, for that matter), is out of spec and/or alignment.  i am simply trying to rectify this misconception that if a wintage tuna works, it's ok, if it's never been refurb'd.

as i stated before, this was the case w/my rotel rht10, which sounded damn nice and had good reception abilities prior to my having it refurb'd.  it was way out of spec/alignment.  who'd a thunk?  and, the rht-10, being mfr'd in the early/mid '90's, is relatively new, compared to many wintage tunas.  and those who have the equipment to measure discovered that, even when brand-new, right out of the factory, as many tuna as not were out of spec/alignment.  getting it right is a tedious time consuming complicated task that many production-line mfr's simply did not bother to do completely.

that's the thing w/tuna - you simply cannot tell unless you put it on a test bench and have the work done.  the tech who did my rotel said the alignment was off, (tho not as bad as the others he's seen; likely cuz mine is euro-spec, and has wider filters), and the distortion/pilot/separation level was way out of spec.  reception ability and sonics were noticeably improved when i got it back.  for casual listening, it may not be worth it.  for serious listening, it is mandatory, imo.  you have gone down that road yourself - surely you know this...

doug s.

2 channel man

« Reply #46 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:50 pm »
Hello Mark
Recently I picked up 2 vintage tuners a Sansui TU-317 which isn't a killer tuner but it sounds good with decent signal the CBC sounds awesome . I also picked up on a hunch an Akai AT-2600.... WOW! nice tuner and you don't even wanna know what I paid  :D I stole it on paper ! . Think very low .

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #47 on: 15 Aug 2012, 07:59 pm »
2 channel man - i have never heard the at-2600, but according to the tune info center site, this is a killer tuna.  definitely worth alignment and mods.  even if it costs >$200 to do, and you only paid $10 for it.  which is quite possible - it is amazing how cheap some really fine under-appreciated tuna can sell for...

doug s.

Minn Mark

« Reply #48 on: 17 Sep 2012, 01:52 pm »
Quick update to the group,

After much eBay'ing, I purchased a vintage (1980's) Sanyo Plus T35 tuner ($76 USD). The choice for stations in SE MN is limited and I mainly listen to NPR/MPR. While my Hafler DH-330 FM tuner still works fine, I think I will enjoy the unique tuning display on the Sanyo, and it should deliver fidelity adequate for my purposes. Thanks to all who posted with helpful advice.

Minn Mark

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #49 on: 17 Sep 2012, 02:08 pm »
Quick update to the group,

After much eBay'ing, I purchased a vintage (1980's) Sanyo Plus T35 tuner ($76 USD). The choice for stations in SE MN is limited and I mainly listen to NPR/MPR. While my Hafler DH-330 FM tuner still works fine, I think I will enjoy the unique tuning display on the Sanyo, and it should deliver fidelity adequate for my purposes. Thanks to all who posted with helpful advice.

Minn Mark

yes, this is one of the coolest tunas out there, regarding its display.  and, tho i have never heard it, those whose opinions i respect say it is certainly one of the better ones.  if you want to do serious listening and not yust casual listening, getting an alignment at the least, and mods at most, will really make a big difference in sonics.  i know, it might seem weird to spend $200-$300 for refurb and mods on an under $100 piece of gear, but the total outlay is not really that great, and the sound can be astonishing, if you have a quality broadcast.

enjoy!   :thumb:

doug s.

Minn Mark

« Reply #50 on: 18 Sep 2012, 07:25 pm »
Doug,
Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend someone of quality to do an alignment and discuss mods with?

Thanks,

Mark

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #51 on: 18 Sep 2012, 07:48 pm »
Doug,
Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend someone of quality to do an alignment and discuss mods with?

Thanks,

Mark

i'd start here:

http://fmtunerinfo.com/index.html#audiophile

i have personally had great results with bill ammons (not his full time yob), bob fitzgerald (one of the tic moderators; not his full time job), mike williams, stephen sank (talking dog transducers), joe chow (component plus usa).

mark wilson, listed there, is in your area; i'd check w/him.  not sure how into mods he is, but he will certainly do a great job on a refurb - i have never heard anyone say anything but good things about him.

doug s.

Phil A

« Reply #52 on: 18 Sep 2012, 08:32 pm »
Joseph Chow was very helpful and easy to deal with.  At one point, I had a modded Sansui TU-717 before I ran out of space in the main system and parted with it.

2 channel man

« Reply #53 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:19 pm »
Just picked up a Akai AT-2600 and I stole it ! paid next to nuttin for it Sounds Really Damn Good .

hifigeezer

« Reply #54 on: 27 Sep 2012, 11:48 pm »
Thanks I read fm tuner and know alot about my unit
Small problem I discovered by 75ohm connection my antenna connection does not fit snugly as there is something in the way of it making contact
is there different 75 ohm connections ?

I'm plugging in a powered antenna and the connections is loose and the sound is lousy ..not good

I had an Onkyo tuner with a similar problem.  If it is a push-on F-connector, you can use Radio Shack part 278-291 to adapt it to a screw-on connector. The best thing is to end up with all screwed-on connections, so if you are up to changing the connector on the tuner, that's the way to go.  It might be a PAL connector, so save your receipt!

I have had tuners modified by Rich Modaferri at Audio Classics, Stephen Sank at Talking Dog and Joseph Chow at Audio Horizons.  They all did good work.

1ZIP

« Reply #55 on: 7 Oct 2012, 05:59 pm »
Had a:

Sansui TU 717 modified by Mike Williams at radioxtuners - good to work with and does great work.

MR-78 modified by Audio classics - good to work with and does great work

Marantz 2270 restored and modified by Tom Williams at Vintage Electronics Restoration Service - also good to work with and does great work.

I would certainly work with any of them again.