My DIY Line Conditioner

edwin

My DIY Line Conditioner
« on: 9 May 2012, 02:00 am »
Just did a line conditioner based on the circuit of Jon Risch. I don't have funds for expensive stuffs.

I had used the following:

1) 2pcs - high current, radial,bobbin, PCB mount, 100uH, 7.8A, 0.033 Ohm
RS components - 228-589

2) 1pcs - Suppression, capacitor,radial, PCB mount,delta, classX2/Y, 275Vac, 0.1uF+2x4.7nF
RS components - 239-668

3) 1pc - Mundorf Supreme cap

4) 2pcs - Evox Rifa Y suppression caps

5) others - 2pcs AC socket, Silver plated wires, metal housing, IEC socket

So far, it brought a quiter background, small detail had came out and quite a surprise, even the bass has improved. It took around 80hrs before everything stabilize though.

Please take note:

The use of Mundorf or other non rated X or Y capacitors are not supposed to be used in AC application. Do it at your own risk. :nono:

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: My DIY Line Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2012, 12:57 pm »
When I only saw the first photo, I wondered how you were going to get all the parts in that case, but I see that they all fit.

For a dis-jointed tread on power line capacitors, see:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/211946-x-capacitor.html

cheap-Jack

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2012, 01:55 pm »
Just did a line conditioner based on the circuit of Jon Risch. I don't have funds for expensive stuffs.

What RFI insertion loss it provides???? I'd want to know how would it perform before I proceed.

c-J

edwin

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2012, 02:00 pm »
When I only saw the first photo, I wondered how you were going to get all the parts in that case, but I see that they all fit.

For a dis-jointed tread on power line capacitors, see:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/211946-x-capacitor.html

Bro, thanks for the link. A very nice thread.

edwin

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2012, 02:06 pm »
What RFI insertion loss it provides???? I'd want to know how would it perform before I proceed.

c-J

Not really sure if it was stated here.

http://links.dalrun.com/Electronics/Docs/Surge_Protection/files/AC%20Filter%20&%20Surge%20Suppresor.htm.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2012, 05:07 pm »
Hi.
Not really sure if it was stated here.

http://links.dalrun.com/Electronics/Docs/Surge_Protection/files/AC%20Filter%20&%20Surge%20Suppresor.htm.

I can't read any performance specs from yr link.

I'd strongly suggest you to mail J. Hirsch to find out. You should know how  effective it would be after spending money & times on it, right? Otherwsie, why go thru the excercise W/O knowing the designated results?????

FYI, I've installed 3 similar simple linear inline powerline passive filters, each in the 3 dedicated lines for many years now.

(1) 125V60Hz (digital gear only, e.g DVD/DVD players),
(2) 125V60Hz  (hi-current analogue gear only,e.g. tube/SS phono-preamps, tube power amp) &
(3) 250V60Hz (analoge gear only, e.g. my tape deck, TT & SS power amp, all 110V/220V, set to 220V).

These linear PASSIVE inline filters were imported from England, providing  wideband EMI/RFI filtering:- 100KHz to 200MHz & beyond. Max. insertion loss 52dB @ 32MHz, 36dB @ 100MHz.

The reason why I have chosen quality PASSIVE linear filters mainly because they do NOT affect the music vs so many expensive brandname conditioners which filter out RFI noises as well as the music!!!! No good!

c-J

edwin

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2012, 05:01 am »
Hi.
I can't read any performance specs from yr link.

I'd strongly suggest you to mail J. Hirsch to find out. You should know how  effective it would be after spending money & times on it, right? Otherwsie, why go thru the excercise W/O knowing the designated results?????

FYI, I've installed 3 similar simple linear inline powerline passive filters, each in the 3 dedicated lines for many years now.

(1) 125V60Hz (digital gear only, e.g DVD/DVD players),
(2) 125V60Hz  (hi-current analogue gear only,e.g. tube/SS phono-preamps, tube power amp) &
(3) 250V60Hz (analoge gear only, e.g. my tape deck, TT & SS power amp, all 110V/220V, set to 220V).

These linear PASSIVE inline filters were imported from England, providing  wideband EMI/RFI filtering:- 100KHz to 200MHz & beyond. Max. insertion loss 52dB @ 32MHz, 36dB @ 100MHz.

The reason why I have chosen quality PASSIVE linear filters mainly because they do NOT affect the music vs so many expensive brandname conditioners which filter out RFI noises as well as the music!!!! No good!

c-J

Hi Bro,

Do you have sample pictures of these passive linear filters?

Thanks

Æ

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2012, 05:13 am »
Great job. I've done similarly more than once. My very first PC came with an accessory pack, one of the accessories was a rather cheap power strip. I converted it to filtered with full three line surge protection and a quick blow fuse. It has served me, protected all my computers well since 1993. I recommend you also add some MOVs.

edwin

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2012, 08:33 am »
Great job. I've done similarly more than once. My very first PC came with an accessory pack, one of the accessories was a rather cheap power strip. I converted it to filtered with full three line surge protection and a quick blow fuse. It has served me, protected all my computers well since 1993. I recommend you also add some MOVs.

Thanks bro.

Not really keen on those MOVs as the ac power here in singapore is quite stable. Besides base on my reading, it somehow makes the sound of your system a bit rough.

Æ

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2012, 06:23 am »
Thanks bro.

Not really keen on those MOVs as the ac power here in singapore is quite stable. Besides base on my reading, it somehow makes the sound of your system a bit rough.

I'm skeptical of those kinds of statements, unless they are corroborated by credible and repeatable measurements. Anyway, MOVs are kind of like seat belts, they only work when things go really bad. Better to be safe than sorry. You'll find that many a manufacturer already has surge protection (MOVS) inside their equipment.
Use an LCR meter to measure an MOV and it looks like a capacitor.

edwin

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2012, 09:35 am »
I'm skeptical of those kinds of statements, unless they are corroborated by credible and repeatable measurements. Anyway, MOVs are kind of like seat belts, they only work when things go really bad. Better to be safe than sorry. You'll find that many a manufacturer already has surge protection (MOVS) inside their equipment.
Use an LCR meter to measure an MOV and it looks like a capacitor.

Ok bro, i will take note on that.

edwin

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2013, 05:46 am »
My latest creation. Single output. A few friends ask me to make for them. They just need to connect their power distributor.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2013, 12:44 pm »
Please take note:

The use of Mundorf or other non rated X or Y capacitors are not supposed to be used in AC application. Do it at your own risk. :nono:
That is correct so why are you doing it?   :scratch:

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2013, 07:25 pm »
High end audio capacitors have better properties and will attenuate noise better. It's a way to save space as opposed to increasing parallel capacitors. 

X and Y capacitors are guaranteed to fail in a predictable - safer - manner. But if you got your stuff in a metal box, you're probably relatively safe so long as your circuit breakers work (people often have cheap ones). The catch is your insurance company doesn't care how safe your DIY gear appears; they are not your friend so just realize in the event of, you create liability on your part. At your own risk.

How does it sound?

edwin

« Reply #14 on: 5 Aug 2013, 07:21 am »
That is correct so why are you doing it?   :scratch:

Because it sounds better.  :D

Oystein

« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2013, 12:25 pm »
Line conditioners can improve the sound ... but not always ...  :icon_twisted:

The reason is why do you want a line conditioner ??
To improve sounds ... duh ... but what do you want to clean ?

Mains distirbance from outside ? ... Disturbance from another audio component ?? ...
Parallel filtering (capacitors) will work most of the times as they absorb high frequency noise without limiting power delivery to your amps and sources.

Coils can however do some harm depending where you put them in you supply chain.
A big power amp draws high peak currents at the top of the sinewave of the line voltage. This is with every component based on a transformer with bridge rectifier and buffer capacitors. The load to the mains is not a ohmic load with a nice sinewave current delivery.
The peak current appears at the moment the top of the sinewave is higher thant the DC voltagein the capacitors after the diodes. In this very short instance the total power needed needs to be drawn from the mains. This peak currents can be throttled by series coils so the dynamics and stability can be hurt.

Power amps with linear power supplies are most better of without series coils.
If you have one main entrance to your equipment and have a filter there before the power strip any noise produced by any other audio / htpc component - especialy with switch mode power supplies - is also "trapped" because of the coils bloking this disturbance to be dumped to the mains and creating havoc at the other power connections where other sensitive equipment (Line stage or Phono preamp) that are connected.
Coils are for blocking disturbance (from outside) but the other way around thay can also trap disturbance from inside.
Your power amp pulling high peak currents already creates higher harmonics which you want to keep away from all your line level equipment.

There is no clear recipe  how to install you filters because it is largely dependant on your own equipment.
Which component creates disturbance ? ... dump it to the mains without any line resistance
Which component needs to be protected (not a noisy creator by itself) give it a good filter
Sometimes a dedicated filters per unit will give best results keeping in mind what you want to achieve for this particular unit ??

I never said the answer is simple  :green:

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2013, 01:35 pm »
Now 'Oystein' brings up several good and important points.

Oystein

« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2013, 01:56 pm »
Now 'Oystein' brings up several good and important points.

To take it one step up ... the old debate about expensive power cords ...

It is said to use at least 1,5 meter power cords ... most people would think .. the shorter the better ... why ? ... what does it matter if the power line in your neighbourhoud is many km's long what does this last 1,5 meter makes any difference ?

It is not about conductivety that this thick mains cord will make the difference if it is connected by kilomters of standard copper wiring from the mains transformer.
A solid copper conductor has some resistance against high frequency noise by itself. A factory with heavy machinery in the neighbourhood might spoil your mains but because of the dampening effect of the copper cable the noise on the powerline will be greatly reduced by the time it reached your home connection.

On a small scale the same effect applies at your equipment ... a high frequency noise generating source is this way 3 meters "seperated" (or damped) from all other equipment by 2x 1,5 meter power cord. Here the shielded power cord has it advatages against radiation. The higher the frequency of this noise the more radiation (like an antenna) will occur.
That is why seperate audio groups work so well ... it is only partly because of current loads but more the seperating of the various equipment from each other.
The best is to run a seperate group for each peace of equipment ... if you go all out ... this also reduces the need for very expensive power cords. Shielding would still be preferred anyway. In the EU the Belden power cable is very popular which is also a very fine cable to make your dedicated groups. Then you have shielding from your breaker box al the way to your equipent.

As you can read by now ... it even gets even less simple the more you know about it  :icon_twisted:

Oystein

« Reply #18 on: 5 Aug 2013, 02:24 pm »
I had to search but here it is: http://www.shunyata.com/Images/Reviews/Caelininterview.pdf

Reading about the background of Mr. Gabriel I think he is maybe one of the guys who understands best what really matters.
Although his suggestions are likely commercially biased the basic concepts are true  ... very interesting stuff.
Also the DTCD measurements very usefull: http://www.shunyata.com/Content/DTCD.html

Hopefully eventueally I will know 10% of what he knows already and I would be very happy ... hahaha

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2013, 09:01 pm »
Now that you bring up Caelin Gabriel, back in 2010 he wrote a good article in a 'The Absolute Sound' booklet:

The Golden Ear's Guide to Audio System Setup and Evaluation
'Technical Background: AC Power'
"AC Power and Sound Relationships"

Yet at his company he has devised the most ridiculous power cable test.  To use an almost infinite frequency square wave test for a 50/60 Hz cable systemis a total waste of time and energy.

Good radio frequency response in a power cable is the exact opposite of what a power conditioner does. Any frequency response in a power cable above a few kilohertz is a curse not a blessing.