Isn't the OB presentation fake?

lowtech

Re: Isn't the OB presentation fake?
« Reply #100 on: 11 May 2012, 03:17 am »
I am curious about the OB presentation and why some think it's the be all / end all. And I have stated I haven't heard it myself. I have also been quite clear on why I posted this to begin with; I am curious about how this type of speaker would seem to be adding to, or changing the original recording much like the Bose speaker does /did. I hope that's ok with you?

The subject of your post goes a long way toward supporting the inference that you are in fact trolling. 

If this isn't your intent, why not simply go listen to a set of true dipole speakers and let all of us know what you think about how they sound to you?  Surely you must either know someone who owns a set of Magneplanars or have a dealer nearby that would be willing to demo them for you.

Trismos

« Reply #101 on: 11 May 2012, 03:41 am »
The subject of your post goes a long way toward supporting the inference that you are in fact trolling. 

If this isn't your intent, why not simply go listen to a set of true dipole speakers and let all of us know what you think about how they sound to you?  Surely you must either know someone who owns a set of Magneplanars or have a dealer nearby that would be willing to demo them for you.

I live in Yellowknife, Northwest territories, Canada. There`s not much here. So no, I don`t have these things you seem to have. I am hardly trolling. What I do have is the chance to ask people like you about it, and that`s what i am doing.  ... Trolling for what by the way? This is all very interesting to me and quite a few others in this thread.

keenween

« Reply #102 on: 11 May 2012, 03:51 am »
As I have heard pretty much nothing but box speakers, OP's questions/thread is understandable and reasonable to me. This is one more thread on this forum talking about the sound of speakers, and its generated some interesting discussion for me to read. Since I am not experienced with all forms of speakers, and I have neither the time, energy, or motivation to go listen to them all...posting/reading others experiences is one way I enjoy learning about the hobby.

I love a wide soundstage and put little weight on pinpoint imaging, so OB has always read attractive, but this thread has made me think differently as I've read about live vs studio sound and differences in room treatment, et al.

I love reading this forum as I haven't been around the audio block like some posters, and most likely I never will. This is strangely the most tightly wound forum I've ever frequented and many times the most negative.  :|

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #103 on: 11 May 2012, 03:57 am »
In a very good concert hall, sound comes from the musicians, not from all around you. And if a recording is made with only two mics, then what? I would assume recording engineers record music based on the fact with the fact in mind that most music is played back in stereo, with two speakers. Two BOX speakers.

In fact the audience is in the "reverberant field" under concert hall conditions. The reverberant field starts when the direct/reflected ratio passes the 50/50 point. This typically happens around the first row in a concert hall.

Two mics are capable of providing not only stereo, but also real ambiance, if the pair are crossed figure of eights, as in Blumlein recordings. This can be easily and economically decoded to send to rear speakers by any device using the Hafler surround technique or Dolby "Pro Logic".

I had the feeling you were trolling from your first reply, just looking to stir a little ****.  :nono:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #104 on: 11 May 2012, 03:59 am »
Actually, I'm so happy that Trismos started this thread.  I've seen the error of my ways and I now know that my OB speakers can never be "correct", so if anyone wants a great deal on a pair of V2's, please contact me!

Trismos

« Reply #105 on: 11 May 2012, 04:01 am »
 Perhaps it was my use of the term 'fake'. It was indeed meant to be controversial, and I did intend to bring in how people seemed to denigrate the Bose speaker. I never intended to have it get personal but I seem to have found a few people who think I have ulterior motives. I'm not sure what those motives could possibly be as I don't win air miles or anything for the number of posts.

I have stated several times that I am looking to build my next speaker, that I heard OB was impressive, and that I have certain questions about it. That doesn't appear popular with some people but that's life.

Trismos

« Reply #106 on: 11 May 2012, 04:02 am »
In fact the audience is in the "reverberant field" under concert hall conditions. The reverberant field starts when the direct/reflected ratio passes the 50/50 point. This typically happens around the first row in a concert hall.

Two mics are capable of providing not only stereo, but also real ambiance, if the pair are crossed figure of eights, as in Blumlein recordings. This can be easily and economically decoded to send to rear speakers by any device using the Hafler surround technique or Dolby "Pro Logic".

I had the feeling you were trolling from your first reply, just looking to stir a little ****.  :nono:

And Russell, I've enjoyed your posts as much as any of them. (I still don't know what the trolling reference is all about)

Trismos

« Reply #107 on: 11 May 2012, 04:08 am »
Actually, I'm so happy that Trismos started this thread.  I've seen the error of my ways and I now know that my OB speakers can never be "correct", so if anyone wants a great deal on a pair of V2's, please contact me!

How did you come to know this Tyson? It was certainly nothing I said. V2's? How much?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #108 on: 11 May 2012, 04:15 am »
i don't think, trismos, you are trolling, but i do agree you should go hear ob and/or dipole speakers yourself.  while i have found the discourse here to be most interesting, the truth is in the tasting, or in this case, the hearing.  you (and everyone) need to decide for themselves.

when i was a kid, i was into audio even then.  i read stereo rewiew and was greatly impressed by the direct/reflected sound thing, and was blown away by the big "wall of sound", so i saved up my money from gifts and paper route job and bought a brand-new pair of bose 901's at the ripe old age of 13.  i had them many years; got much better sound out of them after college, when i got a spectrum analyzer/pink noise generator/eq - i was amazed how "un-flat" they really were.  \/\/  was the basic pattern the eq controls took to get flat response, regardless of what room they were in...  the improvement in detail was excellent...

it wasn't until 1985, when i discovered tas and s'phile and thiel 3.0's that i realized what a proper illusion of a soundstage in the home could really sound like.  (notice i use the term "illusion".  :lol: )  since then, i have heard quite a few different dipole speakers, and i never liked the presentation...  others obviously, think they're "it".  everyone really needs to decide for themselves.

trismos, if you really cannot listen to any ob and/or dipole speakers out there in yellowknife, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and either buy something used, or, as you say you want to do - diy, and hear for yourself.  i'd be reluctant to be spending lotsa money w/o at least being able to hear something first, so you don't take a big financial hit if they are not your cuppa. 

doug s.

Trismos

« Reply #109 on: 11 May 2012, 04:17 am »

This would not be something said by just anyone. I am interested to hear more Russell.

Trismos

« Reply #110 on: 11 May 2012, 04:20 am »
i don't think, trismos, you are trolling, but i do agree you should go hear ob and/or dipole speakers yourself.  while i have found the discourse here to be most interesting, the truth is in the tasting, or in this case, the hearing.  you (and everyone) need to decide for themselves.

when i was a kid, i was into audio even then.  i read stereo rewiew and was greatly impressed by the direct/reflected sound thing, and was blown away by the big "wall of sound", so i saved up my money from gifts and paper route job and bought a brand-new pair of bose 901's at the ripe old age of 13.  i had them many years; got much better sound out of them after college, when i got a spectrum analyzer/pink noise generator/eq - i was amazed how "un-flat" they really were.  \/\/  was the basic pattern the eq controls took to get flat response, regardless of what room they were in...  the improvement in detail was excellent...

it wasn't until 1985, when i discovered tas and s'phile and thiel 3.0's that i realized what a proper illusion of a soundstage in the home could really sound like.  (notice i use the term "illusion".  :lol: )  since then, i have heard quite a few different dipole speakers, and i never liked the presentation...  others obviously, think they're "it".  everyone really needs to decide for themselves.

trismos, if you really cannot listen to any ob and/or dipole speakers out there in yellowknife, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and either buy something used, or, as you say you want to do - diy, and hear for yourself.  i'd be reluctant to be spending lotsa money w/o at least being able to hear something first, so you don't take a big financial hit if they are not your cuppa. 

doug s.

Thx Doug    I am really quite appreciative of good wood working also, so I really enjoy the DIY stuff. Here is a prime example http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82801.20

Just happens to be OB. Mostly.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #111 on: 11 May 2012, 05:15 am »
This would not be something said by just anyone. I am interested to hear more Russell.
When the reverberation (sum of all reflected energy) overtakes the direct sound as you move back from the source in a reverberant environment you have entered the reverberant field. Until then you are technically in the near field, although that term has taken on a different meaning in studio parlance over the last number of years - it is now used to mean monitor listening distances of around 1- 1.5 metres, where midfield infers 1.5 - 3 metres and the term farfield is not used at all, (but the "next step" is the "Mains" which used to typically be soffit mounted). These days a lot of studios use as main monitors, whether mixing or mastering, speakers that used to be considered midfield monitors. This is due to two factors, mainly -
1] speaker quality is evolving fairly quickly and the investment in a midfield is more easily recouped when an upgrade is appropriate, and
2] improving quality includes the ability to play louder with lower distortion for any given size and weight speaker.

Box speakers rule in studios for precisely the same reasons they rule for home use - they tend to be more practical. Louder, dollar for dollar and smaller. Also, a lot of studio techs have not heard OB cone speakers. It is not because they don't or couldn't work for this purpose, though - I have heard of at least one studio using OB Legacy Whispers for mastering - and they are dipolar right down to mid bass frequencies, if I'm not mistaken.

totoro

« Reply #112 on: 11 May 2012, 05:31 am »

Since they're so terrible, you should give them away. To me.

:wink:

D OB G

« Reply #113 on: 11 May 2012, 06:48 am »
Anechoic space?  Yes, no time delayed distortions, more accurate, but I believe that double blind trials conducted by Toole, as I think is generally known, have shown that some “liveness” contributed by the listening room is most definitely preferred. i.e. music is enjoyed more, even if it is not a true account of the signal coming from the speakers.  It is not a chore.

This is preference again, it all seems to come down to preference, but I’ve never heard a heavily treated listening room with considerable absorption sound good at all, even though “technically” the sound might be more accurately perceived.   In fact I feel uncomfortable in that sort of room.

Geddes’ (not that he’s the world authority on everything!) position is also that liveness is necessary, but reflections should be under some sort of control.
Maybe it’s that OBs can provide suitable control for some music lovers preferences (as opposed to the accuracy needed when mastering).

David

mcgsxr

« Reply #114 on: 11 May 2012, 11:35 am »
I have watched this thread with interest, and am happy to see that contrasting opinions are being shared and disputed without any escalation to attacks etc.  Well done all.

Now, to the OP question - fake or not?

I initially used boxed speakers, then I explored with OB.  I initially used SS amps, then tried various digital amps, then tried tubes.  I initially used a cd player, then tried it with a DAC, then moved to streaming to a Bolder modified Logitech device.

As a former concert violinist, it is all fake.

That said, my preferred version of fake includes tubes and OB drivers.  It also includes biamped subs.

I am a subjectivist through and through, and have stated so frequently.

You should use what you like, after all you are only trying to please you.

If you find that OB speakers produce an added ambiance or sense of space that does not please you, I guess you need to find a speaker that reproduces a sound more pleasing for you.

I no longer have OB speakers, but will return to them in time, no doubt.

Nuance

« Reply #115 on: 11 May 2012, 01:17 pm »

On most stages that I have been on, the sound has a lot of live ambiance to it.  Listening to simple stage recordings, which are more common with Classical music, I find that on box speakers that aliveness is lost.  I played some Classical recordings on the Philharmonic 2s and it sounded more like I was on the stage with the orchestra than any other speaker that I have heard.  They created the illusion of total reality.  I have heard most of the speakers out there.  That was the only time that I experienced that effect.  The Philharmonics are pseudo open baffle speakers.

Bob

The Philharmonic's, nor your Salk SoundScapes are a true OB design, but they are unique in that they allow the listener to do three things. 

1) Listen with the midrange chamber completely full and sealed off.
2) Listen with the midrange chamber empty and completely open.
3) Listen with the midrange chamber as full (or not full) of polyfill as you like.

A design such as the one you mentioned allows the listener to literally tune the backwave based on the song/genre and room.  While not being fully OB, would this not provide the best of both worlds?

How did you come to know this Tyson? It was certainly nothing I said. V2's? How much?

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. ;)

Since they're so terrible, you should give them away. To me.

:wink:

I'll one up that and start the bidding at ten dollars. :D

Anechoic space?  Yes, no time delayed distortions, more accurate, but I believe that double blind trials conducted by Toole, as I think is generally known, have shown that some “liveness” contributed by the listening room is most definitely preferred. i.e. music is enjoyed more, even if it is not a true account of the signal coming from the speakers.  It is not a chore.

His case studies have shown that lateral reflections are preferred by the majority because they add to the "apparent source width" (sound stage width).  My room is narrow (for now) at only 12' wide, so I installed a pair of 4" thick 2x4' absorption panels at the first reflection points.  Rather than compare how things sounded without then with, I walked away after the installation and didn't actually listen to the effects for almost a week (I had to travel for my job).  Because of this I'm not even sure that they "helped," as sometimes it seems they are absorbing the midrange and lower treble too much.  My brain says "they must be beneficial because they are reducing early reflections," but Toole's research says it may have deadened the wrong frequencies and caused a more narrow sound stage.  This, of course, applies to speakers with a good off-axis and sound power response; FR panels will probably be beneficial to speakers with poor off-axis/sound power performance.  Anyway, why did I bring this up?  Because I should have listened to the effects the panels created immediately, just like the OP of this thread should listen to at least one OB design to better educate himself.  There is only one way to answer his question, and it doesn't involve forum posts.  :wink:

puppet

« Reply #116 on: 11 May 2012, 02:05 pm »
I'd like to lay to rest the Bose=OB inference. I own a pair of the Bose 10.2 Series ll speakers. Bought them new, back in the day. They're nice but the contrast to OB is this ... Bose is like a sound "shotgun". Depending on the actual system, there might be several "barrels" pointed in several directions ... and they are still in a box. They have that box timbre.

An OB "floods" the room with sound more evenly. It's not "in your face" ... if you know what I mean. Side by side they sound nothing alike ... not even close.   

Rudolf

« Reply #117 on: 11 May 2012, 02:37 pm »
Just to illustrate what Russell Dawkins is talking about. This is the situation how I listen at the moment:

Lately I have moved my dipole speakers closer to my listening couch - from a triangle of roughly 200 cm side length to 170 cm. When I am sitting reclined on the couch, my ears are at the red distance from the speaker baseline. When I lean forward with elbows on my knees, my ears are at the green distance. That's where I'm listening almost completely in the nearfield. I can very well hear the room information in the recording. Positons of singers and instruments are rock steady and "pin point", the auditory scene (AS) ends just behind the speakers. The frontal limit of the AS is (in most cases) a half circle as shown in green.

When I move back to red, the AS broadens to the red arc, filling the front wall completely - when recordings allow so. Imaging is still very good, but I no longer have the feeling of sitting in the recorded scene, but to look through the front wall to the musicians.

If I would move the speakers farther away (lets say to that 2 m triangle), closer to the side and front walls, imaging would become less sharp, positions would be less defined and the AS would grow to real cinemascope.

If someone is interested in all the distances involved:

Result: I can move from a pure "studio" listening (where is NO difference between dipole and any other monitor speaker) to the dipole reflection "theater" within 60 cm head movement (backward). Since I hate the "half circle" scene and much prefer the musicians sitting on the straight stage, red is my preferred position.

Rudolf

John Casler

« Reply #118 on: 11 May 2012, 02:46 pm »

This is preference again, it all seems to come down to preference, but I’ve never heard a heavily treated listening room with considerable absorption sound good at all, even though “technically” the sound might be more accurately perceived.   In fact I feel uncomfortable in that sort of room.

Geddes’ (not that he’s the world authority on everything!) position is also that liveness is necessary, but reflections should be under some sort of control.
Maybe it’s that OBs can provide suitable control for some music lovers preferences (as opposed to the accuracy needed when mastering).

David

Hi David,

You are correct, and as I said earlier, our systems will more likely be a product of our bias and preferences.

Although, very few have actually spent significant listening time under highly damped conditions, the suggested preference is not due to real experience.  Often we hear someone say that they visited an anechoic chamber and it sounded "dead".  Of course it did, since dead is the absence of hearing sound created by the room.  That is how it is supposed to sound.  However when music is played in such a highly damped room, it is not as affected by room reflections and will have more accuracy to the original performance.

Room noise = ambiant sound of the playback room not present on the original recording.  This noise is added to the signal to noise ratio of the gear, and what you end up hearing.

There are many misconceptions regarding sound reproduction based on ideas that are or were grandfathered through early speaker and acoustic ideas.

The goals of various speaker designs, and acoustic treatments are not and will not always be the same for every application (such as HT, 2 channel reproduction, live venue, etc) but are often treated the same.

While many consider their speakers as the component that most affects the sound, that is ONLY true in highly damped conditions.  If that is not the case, it is the ROOM which will shape the sound the most.

Some speaker designs will not even function to their optimal design in a highly damped room and require a specific level of room interaction.

I think the OP didn't actually mean to use the term "fake" as much as to question whether the larger level of room interaction of the OB type of speaker would add sonic information to and from the room that was not present or part of the original recording and thus not accurately representative.

That is certainly true, but since our goal is to create a sound within our space that convinces us that we are "there" we can only use our imaginations as to what the original recording sounded like in the space in which it was recorded.

That is why I said that actually having the opportunity to hear (in an A/B) a performance and then playback in the same space offered more information to answer the question.

I am not contending that one sounds "better" than the other, I am simply offering the differences and what is occuring to make them.

puppet

« Reply #119 on: 11 May 2012, 03:13 pm »
John ... "While many consider their speakers as the component that most affects the sound, that is ONLY true in highly damped conditions.  If that is not the case, it is the ROOM which will shape the sound the most."

Not nip picking but if the speaker loads the room differently than another "type" might ... it is in fact the speaker that effects the sound most.