Martin Logan Motion 10 speakers $119.99 EA for 48 hrs

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Coupon Code:  EMCNENB23   takes them from $199.99 ea down to $119.99....I have no clue if they are any good but for rears or a second system these seem reasonable. Here is link...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981007&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL050812&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL050812-_-EMC-050812-Index-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-82981007-L0C

JohnR

Re: Martin Logan Motion 10 speakers $119.99 EA for 48 hrs
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2012, 11:22 am »
I know this is OT, but how can it be possible to buy speakers with AMTs for $120?! DIYers can't get AMTs for less than several hundred apiece. Something's wrong with this picture...

I gotta say, I'm curious to know what they sound like, if anyone gets one.

:D

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2012, 01:15 pm »
+1 on what do they sound like, thats gotta to be close to cost don't ya think?

rpf

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2012, 03:57 pm »
Closeout?

The tweeter is superb. It's forward relative to the other drivers however, due to how the crossover was designed with Home Theater in mind (according to a dealer/speaker designer I know).

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2012, 04:40 pm »
Check the link, looks like new stock not a refurb or anything......$120 ea is amazing for anything ML isn't it??

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2012, 04:45 pm »
Wow, that seems nuts. There's that much in parts alone, isn't there?

Here they are at Fry's for $400 = http://www.frys.com/product/6157599?source=googleps

That's tempting for a bedroom or basement system. Heck, that's tempting for the garage system!

Bob

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2012, 05:21 pm »
I bought them Tuesday and they showed up yesterday afternoon.  That was a surprise!

I've been looking for a pair of thin profile floor standers that will squeeze in next to my corner mounted 50" DLP.  Size-wise these are just right, so at $240pr. delivered it was worth a shot.  Except for the nice tweeter, parts and build quality are what I'd expect at $200pr.  At $800pr. retail, this is ML using their "high end" prestige to sell inexpensively made stuff at a huge markup.  Whatever...

Haven't hooked them up yet.  Hopefully tonight.  Thanks for the tip.

Russ

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2012, 05:28 pm »
Definitely keep up posted on how they sound, please!  :thumb:

cujobob

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2012, 06:02 pm »
I think there are some electrolytics in the crossover so if you like them, some cheap tweaking is possible. The inductors can inexpensively be upgraded too. I believe it uses steel.

bushbison

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2012, 06:28 pm »
Well a couple of things:
No, I don't agree that these things are crappy; I have had to definitely rearrange a good surround setup due to a move and size limitation; I have lots of experience with ribbon/planer speax from a variety of manufacturers; and with the price they are pretty awesome.
  • They allow me to have the MUCH preferred three identical speakers across the front and they are small enough to have our 60" HDTV mounted above.
    My set up is simple but much attention paid to the details on "low-end" equipment.: ML Motions x5; REL T5 (I will add a second one in the near future); Oppo Universal disc player; Low-Mid Onkyo Receiver (709); PS Audio Quintet. 
For the price and entry level, with great set up it sounds pretty damn good.  If you pay attention to synergy and do your homework, I believe that the "low-end" can offer a lot; just my 2 cents!  8)

whell

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2012, 07:38 pm »
Looks like that promo code has expired.  :(

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2012, 11:45 pm »

No, I don't agree that these things are crappy

Hmmm... I didn't intend to imply that so let me rephrase my comments on build quality.  If I had spent $800pr retail on these, I'd be pissed off paying that much for this level of build quality.  At $400pr, I would expect better quality but could live with it given the performance potential of the Heil tweeter.  For what I paid for them, I have no complaints.

As for sound quality, I still haven't heard them due to a 12 hour power outage yesterday. :evil:  I want them to sound good.  I'm a tweaker and they'll be given every opportunity to break in and perform their best.

Russ

bushbison

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2012, 05:17 pm »
Yep, Russ I agree... for the $, pretty awesome.
Tweeter grills are crappy, so I spend most of my dedicated listening time without them; but they are magnetic, so that is trippy.  :thumb:
I have had to be VERY modest with this setup and am very pleasantly surprised.. considering the price I paid for the whole thing is closer to the cost of the higher end SOUNDBARS .. and with the possible exception of the new Goldenear Soundbar (with the same tweeters!), these speakers fit my space well...
Makes you wonder what some of these larger companies make as a profit on speakers when they are blowing them out at this discount.  I know they are no longer available and have been replaced in the line, but one must assume that ML is STILL making a BIT of profit on them!!

blownrx7

Re: Martin Logan Motion 10 speakers $119.99 EA thru 5/28
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2012, 05:19 pm »
Coupon Code:  EMCNENB23   takes them from $199.99 ea down to $119.99....I have no clue if they are any good but for rears or a second system these seem reasonable. Here is link...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981007&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL050812&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL050812-_-EMC-050812-Index-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-82981007-L0C

This deal is back on through 5/28 witha new promo code:
$80 off w/ promo code EMCNEHH239, ends 5/28

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2012, 09:34 am »
you wonder what some of these larger companies make as a profit on speakers when they are blowing them out at this discount.  I know they are no longer available and have been replaced in the line, but one must assume that ML is STILL making a BIT of profit on them!!

I doubt if ML is still making a profit on these.  Reg retail at $800/pr isn't a whole lot these days. Out of that $800, the dealer normally gets at least 40%, so ML would get $400 - $480/pr.  This varies because of dealer incentives and shipping is expensive for spks.  Your price is because they're discontinued and ML is trying to get whatever they can and move on.  If ML got $200 they might be recovering their investment, or most of it, prob not.  The dealer still gets their cut of the $200, and ML is  probably taking a big loss.  Something is better than nothing.

If you like the sound of these monitors, then they're an exceptional value.  The tweeters alone are worth the price. Check this out:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-600

Granted, they're not the same tweeter, but still, that price is for each.

RCduck7

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2012, 07:57 pm »
Do they ship to Europe? I guess if they do it comes at a price. I like to hear some ribbons at home for some time now.

cujobob

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2012, 09:09 pm »
I don't know what the tweeters are considered...they're not similar to the linked CSS drivers I don't believe (there's a video that shows how the tweeter works btw on Newegg). I don't think these are that amazing of a buy, personally, as the quality seems pretty low and the Pioneer speakers that go on sale for around $99 are well known for being a solid design.

If you want to hear ribbons, look on the used market for a few year old design...maybe a kit speaker from GR Research or Selah? They'd have drivers which are much better than these IMHO.

RCduck7

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2012, 05:30 pm »
Your right, there should be better alternatives in the second hand market then this.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2012, 02:51 pm »
I don't know what the tweeters are considered...they're not similar to the linked CSS drivers I don't believe (there's a video that shows how the tweeter works btw on Newegg). I don't think these are that amazing of a buy, personally, as the quality seems pretty low and the Pioneer speakers that go on sale for around $99 are well known for being a solid design.

If you want to hear ribbons, look on the used market for a few year old design...maybe a kit speaker from GR Research or Selah? They'd have drivers which are much better than these IMHO.

Do you have these, or heard them?  Here's a description of the tweeter:
"The Folded Motion Tweeter works by moving air (which creates sound) perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air and requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage." 

The video is here:
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981007
http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/gallery.php

Here's the Heil Air Motion Transformer:
""The ESS Heil Air Motion Transformer (AMT) tweeter uses a folded pleated Mylar diaphragm of a mere 0.0005" thickness! Its "voice coil" is a serpentine pattern of precision-etched aluminum, selected for minimal weight and high power handling. Unlike a normal piston loudspeaker that excites the air by alternately pushing and pulling a cone or dome, the Heil AMT Air Motion Transformer linearly squeezes and expands its diaphragm's pleats, moving the airload at a very high velocity. Because the moving mass of the Air Motion Transformer is extremely low and the magnetic structure very powerful, this combination results in extremely high acceleration that yields amazing transients.""

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-600

It's the same type of tweeter.  I have some "regular" ribbon tweeters but they don't have folded diaphragms. The Motion line and the tweeter live on:
http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/reviews.php

« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2012, 10:47 am by neobop »