Avengers

funkmonkey

Re: Avengers
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2012, 04:55 am »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  Thought this was a blast.  Some very funny moments.  My wife and I both enjoyed it immensely...   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

though we did miss the teaser at the very end, apparently  :scratch:

2D version...   another "not a fan" of 3D here. 

guf

« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2012, 05:49 am »
Im not a fan of 3d either but I loved this movie and the the 3d didn't bother me like most. I agree very entertaining movie.

Bigfish

« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2012, 12:48 am »
My wife and I saw this movie on Saturday.  While this type of movie is not normally my Wife's thing she and I thoroughly enjoyed this one.  I read reviews on USA Today which claimed The Hulk stole the show.  I enjoyed the Hulk and I also really enjoyed Iron Man.  It really is a good movie and if you have not seen it then take the opportunity to go. 

A headline on today's USA Today reads "Avengers sinks Battleship, holds on to No 1"  Avengers did $55.1 million this weekend for a total to date of $457.1 million, the highest grossing Disney Movie in history.  Battleship did $25.4 million in its opening weekend in the U.S. far below analysts projections of $40 million. 

mjosef

« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2012, 01:15 am »
SAw this over the weekend...4.5/5...in IMax 3-D of course.
Totally enjoyable, and never a dull moment. Complete with two 'buried' scenes in the credits, walk out early and you will miss them.

As of the 3rd week, its at $1.8 billion worldwide.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2012, 09:00 am »
Taking my daughter to see it this afternoon. Not the type of movie I usually like to watch, but I have high hopes for this one. I'll report back later.

Rclark

« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2012, 08:01 pm »
We saw this in 3D, but not IMAX 3D.

You know, regular movie theater 3D is not as good (not even close), to full on IMAX 3D.

There is a huge difference. In the movie theater, you are given cheap disposable glasses and the 3D is all from the projector.

in IMAX 3D you are given almost a VR headset type thing, with pits on the sides that take in the light from all the indentations on the sides of the walls of the theatre lined with fiber optics and the screen is 5 stories tall.

IMAX 3D images practically jump into the seat with you! And the image is smooth and doesn't split apart. It looks real in IMAX.

So that said, Avengers 3D was a little dissappointing as a 3D movie. If 3D tv's are like this, then count me out. It was a little jarring and you have to shift your plastic glasses around to maintain the effect. That said it wasn't bad, but it was a little frustrating at times and I almost wished we had just watched the 2D instead.

For the movie itself? It could have used about 45 minutes of editing out and would have been perfect. Otherwise, was it the best superhero movie ever? Highly debatable. I think some of the X-Men films are much better as just movies. The combat scenes in this one are definitely the most technical that have been done, it's worth it just to see the Avengers fighting together.

It wasn't bad.

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2012, 09:27 pm »
FYI: It was not shot in 3-D, it was post-converted like many films these days, and is therefore best avoided in that format IMO.

As to the rest: You are insane. Trim 45 minutes?!!! You have got to be kidding. Other X-Men films better as just movies? That doesn't even make sense. :?

cujobob

« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2012, 09:28 pm »
FYI: It was not shot in 3-D, it was post-converted like many films these days, and is therefore best avoided.

As to the rest: You are insane. Trim 45 minutes?!!! You have got to be kidding. Other X-Men films better as just movies? That doesn't even make sense.
Agreed...

Rclark

« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2012, 09:44 pm »
 Yeah it had way too much buildup with nothing of real interest. The X-men movies had way more polish in the story and dialogue. Spider man... Batman...Thor... Hulk...Iron Man.. all better.

wushuliu

« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2012, 10:14 pm »
Yeah it had way too much buildup with nothing of real interest. The X-men movies had way more polish in the story and dialogue. Spider man... Batman...Thor... Hulk...Iron Man.. all better.

Then I would say you missed the point of what the film was going for, not to mention the reasons why it's struck a chord: the story and dialogue. Not only does it have the onerous task of reintroducing all these characters for those of us who did not see the individual Marvel films (Thor, IM, Hulk, etc), but thematically Avengers pulls off an amazing feat of being third act of a storyline that has alternating narratives and tone (the individual movies) between different characters. So the 45 minutes you're talking about cutting are the 45 minutes those who may have no idea or memory of the preceding films, need in order to be drawn into the film. The box office isn't a reflection of best superhero movies ever as it is an indicator of how the film managed to appeal to people who clearly could give a rat's @zz about men in tights. They are the reason for the 'slow' buildup, and it was handled expertly. The 'polish' you are referring to - a streamlined self-contained 3 act structure - has no place here. This is unprecedented territory as far as sequels and franchises go. The better example would be television or a mini-series. Every year you get an episode or two and every couple years the 'season' ends. The Avengers is the end of the 'first' season.

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2012, 04:53 am »
 Well, I'll watch it again for sure. The chortling, talking soccer mom behind me and the really poorly done 3D really jarred me out of the film more than a few times.

I really liked it, don't get me wrong, but I was expecting to be mind blown from what everyone was saying, on the order of seeing Jurrassic Park for the first time. Wasn't like that at all. I still place it at the lowest among my fav super hero films.  But I will watch it again for sure at home.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 25 May 2012, 06:36 am »
Just got back from a late showing, and I am in awe!  For a comic geek like it was a nerdgasm! :thumb:  There were a couple of off notes but overall the movie sets the bar pretty high for superhero films of the future.  And finally we get a film rendition of the Hulk that does him justice.  The fanboy in me could watch Thor and Hulk battle for the whole two hour runtime of the movie.

The icing on the cake for me was the newest Dark Knight Rises trailer.  It looks to be epic.  Looks like 2012 will be an incredible year for comic books fans.

kalio12

« Reply #32 on: 29 May 2012, 05:49 pm »
Aweesome movie i thought. amazing effects, lots of character development, had its twists and funny moments too (hulk vs loki especially   :green:)

cream

« Reply #33 on: 5 Jun 2012, 07:15 pm »
I was sort of surprised how much I enjoyed the movie.  I went into it with high hopes but I really did not expect it to live up to them.

I did not like the flying fish at the end but overall I was very happy with it.    Now I am super anxious to get the Blu-Ray into my theater at home in the future.

JohnR

« Reply #34 on: 4 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm »
"Our intelligence says Thor is not a hostile. He's worlds away."

It's not looking good so far...

JohnR

« Reply #35 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:05 pm »
OK I'm up to the flying fish. What....?

My review, in a word: terrible.

They should have just made a sequel to Ironman. (Or anything, for that matter.)

wushuliu

« Reply #36 on: 12 Sep 2012, 05:13 pm »

LOL, well it's only going to get trippier: Marvel is shifting the focus of upcoming films towards intergalactic space comic stuff, so flying fish is just a warmup.

Rclark

« Reply #37 on: 12 Sep 2012, 11:10 pm »

Thank you, I didn't want to be as blunt.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #38 on: 13 Sep 2012, 12:36 am »
I watched this flick in 3D IMAX and was blown away (ok, I was a comic book geek growing up). I've become a huge fan of 3D, my only wish would be for these movies to really invest in the 3D effects instead of just sticking their toe in. Other than the minimal 3D effects in The Avengers, I loved this movie. Good storyline, fairly good acting and it left me wanting more.  :hyper:

Personally I can't wait for the next Marvel sequel. YOMV  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin