DSD going more mainstream?

WC

DSD going more mainstream?
« on: 4 May 2012, 08:45 pm »
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Press-Room/Home-Entertainment/Pioneer+Expands+Elite+SC+Series+Receivers+Models

Looks like Pioneer is putting DSD playback in their top AVRs. So is it becoming more mainstream?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: DSD going more mainstream?
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2012, 08:53 pm »
That's pretty cool!

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2012, 08:56 pm »
Nice find. Interesting to see DSD and "192kHz/32-bit asynchronous USB DAC" in an AVR.

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2012, 09:13 pm »
That is encouraging. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2012, 01:43 am »
I'm banking on DSD becoming more mainstream.  :)  I have almost 400 SACD's ripped (i.e 4000+ DSF/DIFF tracks) with the PS3 custom firmware solution I have posted endlessly about, quite a bit of DSD download material (10+ albums) and now own two incredibly good DSD-capable DACS, both of which I will review here asap.  One is the $1650 Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC, a prosumer unit that is the best value in DACs I;ve ever come across.  It's PCM and native DSD playback is nothing short of amazing.  The other is the $7k Meitner MA-1, and it's unique Ed Meitner-built 1-bit DSD processor does a world-class job with both PCM (upsampled to 2x DSD) and pure DSD.

Both DACs use the new DoP (DSD over PCM) protocol that cleverly uses the existing USB (or firewire) 24 bit/176k signal path to "carry" DSD unaltered to a compatible native DSD-capable DAC.

All this and the new DSD download sites cropping up (Blue Coast, 2L, Channel Classics, etc) and rumor has it that the Chesky Brothers will soon react positively to their Facebook survey re: imminent native DSD support. 

Bring it on.  :thumb:

firedog

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2012, 07:16 am »
Did you guys see this on the Sonore web site?

COMING SOON
The Signature Series Sonore DSD Converter is an asynchronous USB converter with SPDIF BCN output. The converter can output regular PCM up to 192 sample rate and convert DSD2PCM at 88.2 or 176.4 sample rate. The DSD2PCM conversion is done on board to eliminate computer CPU load and is compliant with the DSD over PCM (DoP) v1 specification. The DSD2PCM conversion incorporates proprietary filters. The converter does not use USB power and is instead powered by a low noise linear power supply. HDMI I2S output compatible with the PS Audio specification is available as an optional upgrade.

Confirmed by email with Jesus that this is an asynchronus USB>SPDIF converter that  does both PCM up to 24/192 and DSD. As it seems it could make basically any DAC with an SPDIF input DSD capable, seems like it would make DSD fairly mainstream.

If Chesky (HDTracks) starts making DSD downloads available, that would be fantastic. They might be able to get access to lots of Rock and Jazz that is presently on SACD only in hi-res.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2012, 12:12 pm »
Did you guys see this on the Sonore web site?

Confirmed by email with Jesus that this is an asynchronus USB>SPDIF converter that  does both PCM up to 24/192 and DSD. As it seems it could make basically any DAC with an SPDIF input DSD capable, seems like it would make DSD fairly mainstream.

Any software player will do DSD-to-PCM on the fly, so this is nothing new...and converted PCM is not "DSD-capable", so this converter does not make any DAC with an SPDIF input DSD capable.  The DAC needs to be able to handle pure native DSD to be DSD-capable.

firedog

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2012, 01:29 pm »
Any software player will do DSD-to-PCM on the fly, so this is nothing new...and converted PCM is not "DSD-capable", so this converter does not make any DAC with an SPDIF input DSD capable.  The DAC needs to be able to handle pure native DSD to be DSD-capable.

Okay, thanks for that. I was wondering, so I phrased it with "seems".

PeteG

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2012, 04:24 pm »
Any software player will do DSD-to-PCM on the fly, so this is nothing new..

Even Audirvana Plus will do this now with a ISO image, but an "DSD - capable" dac would be awesome.

curbfeeler

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2012, 04:15 pm »
I have a Korg MR1000 which can play DSD, of course, but it isn't very convenient. So I tried setting up JRiver MC 17 v.latest to do it, and it played a few seconds, then paused for a spell, then played another snippet, etc. I use the jkeny v.2 HiFace BNC and a Bryston BDA-1, no upsampling. Any advice?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2012, 05:31 pm »
I'm banking on DSD becoming more mainstream.  :)  I have almost 400 SACD's ripped (i.e 4000+ DSF/DIFF tracks) with the PS3 custom firmware solution I have posted endlessly about, quite a bit of DSD download material (10+ albums) and now own two incredibly good DSD-capable DACS, both of which I will review here asap.  One is the $1650 Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC, a prosumer unit that is the best value in DACs I;ve ever come across.  It's PCM and native DSD playback is nothing short of amazing.  The other is the $7k Meitner MA-1, and it's unique Ed Meitner-built 1-bit DSD processor does a world-class job with both PCM (upsampled to 2x DSD) and pure DSD.

Both DACs use the new DoP (DSD over PCM) protocol that cleverly uses the existing USB (or firewire) 24 bit/176k signal path to "carry" DSD unaltered to a compatible native DSD-capable DAC.

All this and the new DSD download sites cropping up (Blue Coast, 2L, Channel Classics, etc) and rumor has it that the Chesky Brothers will soon react positively to their Facebook survey re: imminent native DSD support. 

Bring it on.  :thumb:

Hi Ted:

Did you ever find time to review your new DACs. I'm interested in your feedback on the Mytek.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2012, 05:50 pm »
I am writing both of the reviews this weekend.  I promised too many people and keep putting it off.  Sorry.   :oops:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2012, 06:06 pm »
No sweat, Ted. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed it. Thanks for putting it at the top of your to-do list.  :thumb: