Praise for Music Reference

Ralph

• College Chemistry Professor, Psychologist
Praise for Music Reference
« on: 1 May 2012, 08:47 pm »
A friend of mine in Florida recently visited a friend of his who has some of the best and most exprensive audio equipment. This friend recently purchased Roger's C-4 preamp, EM-7 power amp, and Roger's electrostatic speakers. My friend inspected as well as listened to them and reported to me that the sound and build quality of the units were nothing short of fabulous and that he fully understood why I love Music Reference so much. This friend, by the way, has played music professionally and knows what live music sounds like. He ended by saying that he never came across audio equipment that sounded so much like the real thing. That seems to say it all, doesn't it?
Ralph Steinberg

Clio09

Re: Praise for Music Reference
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2012, 12:41 am »
Thanks for the post. I am curious to know if the C-4 and EM-7 were purchased recently. Reason is I have the 12 watt version of the EM-7 and wouldn't mind mating it to the C-4.

Also, I have spoken to Roger and listened to his electrostatic speakers a few times in his system. I quite enjoy the speakers and am in fact considering electrostatic speakers to run with an OTL amp I have. IIRC Roger told me the efficiency of his electrostatic speakers was in the mid-70's. I am curious as to how well the EM-7 drives them given it is a low powered SET amp. If the EM-7 is truly up to the task I would give Roger's speakers serious consideration.

Ralph

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2012, 06:33 pm »
They were purchased approximately one or two months ago at most. My friend said that they came closest to sounding like live music of any components he has ever heard. I have had the same experience with the RM-9 driving my Martin-Logan Sequels; I have sometimes mistaken spoken voice from a FM broadcast for that of a stranger in my living room.

Clio09

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2012, 03:00 pm »
Thanks for the response. I have no doubt the RM-9 at 100 watts and then some can drive Martin Logans, or most electrostatics for that matter. It is one powerful amp and well built to boot. I'm sure the sound is as you describe. My concern would be 5 - 12 watts (depending on which version of the EM-7 your friend has) driving an electrostatic speaker of low sensitivity. I'm not saying your friend isn't hearing beautiful music coming from this set-up, and if the EM-7 is surely capable of driving them, I will certainly look into Roger's speakers.

Ralph

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2012, 07:49 pm »
I believe this friend of my friend has the 12 watt version. Anyway, my friend said that the system sounded the closest to live music in his experience.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2012, 06:19 am »
The conversation about power is missing a very important element that I have pointed out many many times in this forum. We need to know the level at which the listener plays his music. I have spoken with many folks who listen at 75 dB SPL which requires less than 1 watt with any speaker.

I have played my ESLs and others on EM-7 amps. At low levels there is no problem.

Anyone who does not know his listening level had better march down to Radio Shack and put $55 on the counter and walk out with an SPL meter. It will do you more good than a fancy power cord or a Tuning Fuse.

Clio09

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2012, 04:14 pm »
I actually have the SPL meter and can say that general listening peaks are in the 85 - 90 dB range. Obviously something the EM-7 can handle, not to mention the RM-10 which I believe you were using on your speakers on my last visit. This is good to know. Thanks.

airhead

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2012, 05:44 am »
Can I ask which OTL amp you have?  I am using some old NYAL OTL3a's to drive my Stax F83's.  They work incredibly well, now that I have added a pair of Roger's subwoofers.

Clio09

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2012, 04:06 pm »
I have the Atma-Sphere S-30. Currently use Audiokinesis Jazz Module speakers. I would like to try electrostatic or similar designs. Right now in addition to Roger's speakers I am considering Apogee, Acoustat, and Maggies. Problem again is a question of power, as well as impedance curve as some designs have dips as low as 1 ohm. Some have even said current needs to be considered. I believe the RM-9 and RM-200 can easily address all these issues. However, I would like to use one of my three existing amps if possible. With the S-30 and a set of zero autoformers I can probably address the power and impedance curve issues leaving current as the outlier. Ralph Karsten though recommends the M-60s as a better option.

airhead

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2012, 04:39 pm »
My Stax's impedance drops very low at the frequency extremes.  This was a problem for my amps at the low end
but I don't hear any problem at the high end.

Clio09

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2012, 10:08 pm »
I suspect my RM-10 MkII will be the better of the three amps I have to run with electrostatic or planar speakers. However, that rules out the Acoustats and probably the Apogees, with the RM-9 or 200 better suited to those. I think given the levels I listen at Roger's speakers and the Maggie 2.5r's  would work with the RM-10.

rbwalt

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2012, 12:52 am »
here is some praise for roger and music reference. just look at his work!! now you know why his stuff lasts and lasts and lasts and sounds dam good!!!!

rob.

ps. that is my amp.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2012, 01:00 pm »
Wow!  That's the RM-9SE, right?  Looks far cleaner without that PCB in it.  Thanks for sharing.  I hate you now    :lol:

rbwalt

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2012, 02:41 pm »
 yes it is and you are welcome!

rob.