440hz to 432hz conversion the most cheerful and it's FREE!

RCduck7

As some of you may know, musicians before World War II had their instruments tuned for 432hz, it is natural and pleasant for the ear. After that someone made 440hz as a standard for instrument and recording. In France alone there were 23000 musicians against this new agreement but sadly the 440hz frequencie went through. Almost all recordings on redbook or other medium are recorded for the 440hz standard since then.

The reason i started this topic is that i went to a listening audition where music was played at 432hz. At some point without knowing when he switched to 440hz on the fly on his PC. The difference was obvious, 432hz sounded fuller and nicer on the ear, but the most important aspect is that the emotional experiece was much better at 432hz. At the end of the audition everyone could make a copy on a cd-r of their original redbook cd and convert it to 432hz to take home. Almost everyone in the room agreed this was no trick or nonsense but it really worked. The music when optimised for 432hz was more musical and simply better sounding. Since then i am convinced i want to hear all my music optimised for 432hz, there is no way back for me now and for many others.

Last week i was willing to buy a killer cd transport before i went to the 432hz audition. But this would mean i would have to make a physical copy of all my redbook cd in my collection, a daunting task and it would double the storage space for cd's. Therefore it would be easier and less painfull to extract the WAV files on the CD and convert them to 432hz on a computer and then play them from a music streamer or a pc that has been optimised for music playback without interference from other programs.

If you want to know more about 432hz and how to convert 440hz to 432hz, google is your friend. Try it :wink:

wushuliu

Re: 440hz to 432hz conversion the most cheerful and it's FREE!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2012, 12:36 am »
Someone posted similar stuff I think at Tech Talk. Google search unofrtunately leads to many New Age sites and conspiracy theories, making it difficult to get to the heart of the matter. The You Tube clips of people comparing however are enlightening - no question the 432hz sounds better. As a fan of classical indian music I can hear the 'naturalness' of the 432 being similar to say traditional sitar notes.

To keep in line w/ cheap and cheerful - apparently you can use Audacity (free) to convert music to 432hz via pitch control and compare for yourself.

Here's a wikipedia article that sheds a little light. I had no idea there was so much variation until very recently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pitch_standards_in_Western_music#History_of_pitch_stanDards_in_Western_music

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:28 am »
I just listened to a couple of tracks on YouTube and there seemed to be a more relaxing presentation, albeit no real ability to compare.  I really don't need another audio project right now, I have several going on at the same time, but it's intriguing.  I hope the thread stays alive long enough for me to get back to it.   

BTW, I found several sites very quickly using "how to convert 440hz to 432hz" as a search.  Perhaps wushuliu was looking for more than I, as I was just looking for tutorials on how to do it in Audacity and some YouTube clips.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:43 am »
This pitch inflation from 432Hz to 440Hz, seems a poor stop gap to use the Piano central A note(440Hz) as reference, which results in poor sound quality as mentioned above.

wushuliu

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2012, 02:09 am »
The up front drums John Densmore are great.
There is some reasons why this change was made:
*deleted*

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2012, 02:48 am »
The up front drums John Densmore are great.
There is some reasons why this change was made:

« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2012, 07:15 am by wushuliu »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2012, 03:07 am »
please fullrangeman do us all a favor and DELETE THAT LINK! PLEASE!
OK, deleted.

wushuliu

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2012, 03:50 am »
Looks many animals voices are in 432Hz(cows, birds, etc) inclusive cats purr in Bb A note=432Hz.

mhconley

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2012, 04:19 am »
 please delete

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2012, 05:04 am »
Light My Fire 432hz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiMTdsSl6Q8&feature=related

Light My Fire (standard)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdV6Q-WQFeU&feature=related

( I am so-so on the Doors comparison)

better comparison:

Sade - Cherish the Day 432

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b94jlzxGaxI&feature=related

standard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TAfk5rJS8

Cellist sharing his view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YRRXkn0CsU

Thanks.  The Sade clips sounded very much like the Enya clips, both leave me with doubts about comparing things on YouTube, I really need to try this with my own discs.  However the consistency is encouraging that one may hear the same thing under more controlled conditions.

What we're hearing may be up for debate.  I'm reminded of a cartridge alignment method that seemed the cat's meow, fuller sounding, more natural, quite similar to what we're hearing here, until it was pointed out that misaligned cartridges reduce high frequency response making everything sound warmer and more pleasing, but at the cost of detail and realism.  So is the lower frequency just fooling us into thinking it sounds "better"?  And just also note I am completely fooled, the YouTube clips do sound better in 432hz trim. 

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2012, 05:23 am »
Thanks.  The Sade clips sounded very much like the Enya clips, both leave me with doubts about comparing things on YouTube, I really need to try this with my own discs.  However the consistency is encouraging that one may hear the same thing under more controlled conditions.

What we're hearing may be up for debate.  I'm reminded of a cartridge alignment method that seemed the cat's meow, fuller sounding, more natural, quite similar to what we're hearing here, until it was pointed out that misaligned cartridges reduce high frequency response making everything sound warmer and more pleasing, but at the cost of detail and realism.  So is the lower frequency just fooling us into thinking it sounds "better"?  And just also note I am completely fooled, the YouTube clips do sound better in 432hz trim.

I don't think it can fool someone. It's a shift of only 8hz. That is pretty small. You're not losing, covering or radically changing any musical information. The cellist clip provides the best comparison I've found so far. The instrument just sounds larger and bolder but still true. However I'm sure some music will not necessarily sound better at 432 - stuff that is made to sound more forward and take advantage of 440 may lose a little something.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2012, 05:38 am »
Um, how do you know he isn't just bowing it to make it sound like that?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2012, 05:57 am »
A musical instrument tuned by 440Hz is detuned in relation to the animal nature, to this planet and the overall Cosmos, since the scalar waves are 432Hz harmonics.

In Asia countries 4 is the number of the stagnation and death, not a good number to made music.

Alan

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:04 am »
I can set JR Media to play at -.02%, works out to a=431.2hz, wonder if that's close enough. Hey, RCduck, some of the Denon pro cd players have an adjustment for that as well.

The music sounds a bit lethargic. might play with it after a nap.

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:06 am »
Um, how do you know he isn't just bowing it to make it sound like that?

That's why the other clips are provided. And the Audacity suggestion. There are also other clips of musicians using the tuning to compare. Unfortunately, the subject seems largely co-opted by New Agey stuff. I am more interested in the fact that the 440 was an arbitrary choice (and let's face it, a LOT of strange choices where made in the height of modernist era so the more 'forward' sounding tuning does not surprise me at all), so why not explore the other tunings that were used prior?

wushuliu

« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:10 am »
A musical instrument tuned by 440Hz is detuned in relation to the animal nature, to this planet and the overall Cosmos, since the scalar waves are 432Hz harmonics.

In Asia countries 4 is the number of the stagnation and death, not a good number to made music.

Looks many animals voices are in 432Hz(cows, birds, etc) inclusive cats purr in Bb A note=432Hz.

oh well. that didn't take long. i tried.

i'm outro!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:21 am »
I can set JR Media to play at -.02%, works out to a=431.2hz, wonder if that's close enough. Hey, RCduck, some of the Denon pro cd players have an adjustment for that as well.

The music sounds a bit lethargic. might play with it after a nap.
i think what is needed is to lower the pitch w/o changing the speed/tempo...

doug s.

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:22 am »
That's why the other clips are provided.

Had a quick listen. Definitely something going on.