Super-V, Is this my ideal speaker???

Trismos

Re: Super-V, Is this my ideal speaker???
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2013, 01:24 pm »
Regarding the Hyperions, I never heard them. Just what I gleaned from the many posts which seemed to spark my interest. Regardless, the V's are the first speaker I've owned since my Def Tech BP2000's early on in this long audio journey that I'm not looking for another speaker.

Hal, did you start out with the alpha core inductor? Did it make much of a difference if not?

From what I've been told, the difference is subtle and is something you might do if the rest of your equipment is "up to snuff". Myself, I might do it because it looks so sweet and Danny sells them for about $50.00 a pop. On the other hand, the Erse inductors that come with the kit are hi quality in their own right.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2013, 03:07 pm »
My Super-V's came with the foil inductors as Danny built them.  I did hear the Super-V's at RMAF2010 and 2011 with the Jupiter caps.  Not sure what inductors were in them.  I liked them all.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2013, 04:34 pm »
  The Hyperions are an excellent design. Albert was a member of our club the Audiosyndrome in NY. We are very familiar with Alberts efforts and sound.
     IMO the Super 7 is heads and heels over Alberts design. First off the bass of the super 7 is superior in everyway. The mids are almost equal but the nod for presence goes to S7. The topend of the Hyperion is excellent in extension,  detail retrieval  and air. But IMO hi fi sounding in comparison to the S7.
    Fit and finish as well goes to GR. The sound created under show conditions was better than I ever expected. The cap choice will change the sonics. Which cap ? depends on the character of your components. For me it would be deulund cast resistors to start. Cap cost can add up quickly and Deulund Cast are not inexpensive.
     I would discuss the cap choice with Danny before committing to anything. The S7 had me thinking after the show. I use Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams with either SET 211 monoblocks or Arion hybrid class"D" mono blocks. Lately the SETs are on standby as the Arions have taken over. Would love to hear the S7 with the Arions.
     Lets not forget that as good as the S7 is the ancillary gear had a major role in the sound. The synergy with the Dodd gear was outstanding at RMAF. Using Dodds 6H30 preamp with the Arions now. Oh my !
    The best part of owning a GR speaker is Danny. You will not find a more dedicated Manf/dealer around. Hands on is an understatement. You will be in VG hands.

charles

SoCalWJS

« Reply #23 on: 16 Jan 2013, 04:49 am »
Regarding the Hyperions, I never heard them. Just what I gleaned from the many posts which seemed to spark my interest. Regardless, the V's are the first speaker I've owned since my Def Tech BP2000's early on in this long audio journey that I'm not looking for another speaker.

Hal, did you start out with the alpha core inductor? Did it make much of a difference if not?
So you now firmly believe they're better than the LS-6'es? And Lena agrees?? :green:
Goosebumps?