SF Bay Area Gathering - Super V Fest

MichaelHiFi

SF Bay Area Gathering - Super V Fest
« on: 19 Apr 2012, 03:48 pm »
Comrades, We are having a smallish get-to-gether at our home in San Jose for those passionate about their audio, and wanting to hear the Super V's. I may or may not have the Tyler Decade's as they are sadly, for sale.

Folks are welcome to bring gear. I will accommodate your gear as best I can. It get's a little squirrely swapping components but often it worth the experience. We all sort of learn something, what works, what doesn't.

We are looking at May 13th for this getogether. It this date looks ugly for many, I may change it within the next few days but then it becomes a set date.

We hope to see many who have followed my threads and helped me along the way with the build and great suggestions.  :thumb:

tasar

Re: SF Bay Area Gathering - Super V Fest
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2012, 04:06 pm »
Mike.......take the opportunity to input diffusion. Diffusion is the answer for the Vs. Front center and forward as in closer to the Vs for image, staging depth results. Explore diffusion outboard just behind and angulated toward the sweet spot. The secondaries are here and it's a lot ! First reflections are secondary and minimal in my musings. Excess toeing accomplishes nothing with these big coax waveguides and doing so only exacerbates reflection forward and REAR ! All other efforts(expense), super duper ICs, PCs, regeneration, conditioning blah blah blah, pales to well employed room treats !!!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2012, 04:18 pm »
Glad you're setting a date for the GTG! Anne and I are tentatively heading to the Central Coast (SLO) the following weekend (17th - 20th around an appointment that starts us in that direction), so probably gonna miss it.  :(

Hope it goes well!

(as far as the diffusion comment:  :thumb: - photo of the setup at RMAF:

Berndt

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2012, 04:54 pm »
Try putting a link in the norcal circle!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2012, 06:46 pm »
I'm in. What time What to bring. Wine of course.  Anything else I can help with as well.  Pm your address when you have finalized.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2012, 11:16 pm »
Mike.......take the opportunity to input diffusion. Diffusion is the answer for the Vs. Front center and forward as in closer to the Vs for image, staging depth results. Explore diffusion outboard just behind and angulated toward the sweet spot. The secondaries are here and it's a lot ! First reflections are secondary and minimal in my musings. Excess toeing accomplishes nothing with these big coax waveguides and doing so only exacerbates reflection forward and REAR ! All other efforts(expense), super duper ICs, PCs, regeneration, conditioning blah blah blah, pales to well employed room treats !!!

Interesting panels for diffusion. Need to think about how I could build them and fit into the decor  :scratch:

I tried towing in and out and found that it simply didn't improve over what is already good. I have them slightly toed in at the moment. I've dealt with first order reflection points and the rear corners of the room. I also have a rug and the first reflection point on the ceiling.

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2012, 03:46 am »
After following your build, I'd love to attend to see your super V's in person.  I need to see if my wife will be out of town first.  I don't have anything special in terms of speakers, but I could bring my AVA FetValve 400R if there is interest.

Sonny

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2012, 04:09 am »
Michael, I'd love to come if I can, you can put me down as "tentative".
Also, if I do come, I can bring the Schiit Bifrost DAC.  I don't know what you have or want to listen to, but I know sometimes there gets to be too many "component" swamping and it takes away from listening to the music.
T

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2012, 04:10 am »
You know that's Mother's Day, right?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2012, 05:38 pm »
After following your build, I'd love to attend to see your super V's in person.  I need to see if my wife will be out of town first.  I don't have anything special in terms of speakers, but I could bring my AVA FetValve 400R if there is interest.

I'd love to hear the Fetvalve

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2012, 07:06 pm »
You know that's Mother's Day, right?

Ya I know, that's why it's tentative based upon the response.  :? Seems every weekend is filled... although the following weekend would work well enough.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2012, 07:15 pm »

Great, bring the Fetvalve 400R!

What's a Fetvalve  :scratch:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2012, 07:16 pm »
Michael, I'd love to come if I can, you can put me down as "tentative".
Also, if I do come, I can bring the Schiit Bifrost DAC.  I don't know what you have or want to listen to, but I know sometimes there gets to be too many "component" swamping and it takes away from listening to the music.
T

Agreed. DAC's are easy and fun to swap. Other components more troublesome but I'll welcome some amps for folks to know "what works" on the V's.

Sonny

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2012, 07:17 pm »
Agreed. DAC's are easy and fun to swap. Other components more troublesome but I'll welcome some amps for folks to know "what works" on the V's.

so, Michael, is that a yes or no on the DAC?
I won't be bringing my Pass X250, it's a beast!

tasar

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2012, 07:24 pm »
Amps? Don't you guys live in the Bottlehead hood ? Invite them theyre all about feeding high efficiency typos

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2012, 12:11 am »
so, Michael, is that a yes or no on the DAC?
I won't be bringing my Pass X250, it's a beast!

Yes to all DAC's and amps!  :thankyou:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2012, 01:55 am »
Looks like Saturday May 26th is the better date as too many of you are attached to your mothers. :dunno: :inlove:

I know it's one week from The SHOW. May is a tough month for getogether's. Maybe I should have a poll  :scratch:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2012, 03:22 pm »
OK schedule amended.  Dibbys on the sweet spot!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2012, 03:40 pm »
First Mothers Day now Memorial Day weekend.  I'm getting you a new calender when I see you. 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #19 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:21 pm »
First Mothers Day now Memorial Day weekend.  I'm getting you a new calender when I see you.

You got that right Cheeseboy  :duh:

It's also my son's 2nd birthday, the 27th.

But you guys and gals gotta hear these V's. As a bonus, being 1 week from "THE SHOW", if you're planning to attend as we are, one could evaluate the V's against the major manufactures SOTA.